Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

buffalo wrote: »
    When explaining these sort of situations, I sometimes compare it to taking the motorway instead of the old N road that twists and turns and goes through every village and town. Sure the N road is 'usable', but why should somebody be damned for choosing the faster and safer* route?

*That's safer assuming nobody deliberately makes it otherwise, as above.

I personally would feel safer in the cycle lane, but that's just my own feeling on the situation.
    Regardless where a cyclist should be, there is no excuse for a dangerous overtake

Where did I say there was an excuse for the dangerous overtake? I explicitly said the driver was in the wrong!
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Why should a cyclist who can safely travel at 30kph slow down. Do cyclists not have the right to commute to work a quickly as possible within the legal limits like a car can.

I often use the road in similar situations because of the many near crashes or abuse I get from idiot pedestrians who can't navigate a path that is colour coded for them

They totally have the right, but that won't stop drivers being pissed off as a result. You might think "so what", but an angry driver is more likely to perform risky manoeuvres like in the video. I'd prefer to be alive instead of right.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VonLuck wrote: »
    Where did I say there was an excuse for the dangerous overtake? I explicitly said the driver was in the wrong!
    Point taken but your post was suggesting that the cyclist should be going slower and you refer to the cycle path beside the OP. Neither of which are really relevant in terms of a prick driver putting someone in danger.
    They totally have the right, but that won't stop drivers being pissed off as a result. You might think "so what", but an angry driver is more likely to perform risky manoeuvres like in the video. I'd prefer to be alive instead of right.
    This is solely down to the driver but is fuelled by misinformation about cycle lanes and a vast misunderstanding about the legal obligations of various road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

To all those who think I should be in the cycle lane (that started 2 meters prior to the video by the way).
    1. I am cycling a pedalec (25kph assist limit) which is much heavier than a normal bicycle and not suitable for any shared cycle path unless wide.
    2. I normally cycle at 30kph so cars don’t just come upon me as such.
    3. This is a 50kph zone.
    4. The cycle path stops and starts as you can see it’s in red first then forms part of the path.
    5. The comment on rather being alive than right is a complete cop out. I cycle defensively and will take the central line when going through roundabouts and tight areas etc. I am in no danger on the road and had completed a 20km (within 5km) without issue. Simply this driver is the same as anyone who wants to commit a criminal act, they will still do it regardless. An ahole is an ahole no matter where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'd prefer to be alive instead of right.

Me too. That's why i cycle at least a meter out from the Kerb at all times.
    Its why i rarely use cycle paths as they usually end abruptly and force you out into the path of traffic (or into the drivers blind spot)
    Its why, when cycling with others, we always cycle two abreast.
    Its why, when approaching a traffic Island i "Take the lane".
    Its why I sometimes "Jump" a red light (to get a head start on the muppets behind me in cars).

The things we have to do to stay alive eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

To all those who think I should be in the cycle lane (that started 2 meters prior to the video by the way).
    1. I am cycling a pedalec (25kph assist limit) which is much heavier than a normal bicycle and not suitable for any shared cycle path unless wide.
    2. I normally cycle at 30kph so cars don’t just come upon me as such.
    3. This is a 50kph zone.
    4. The cycle path stops and starts as you can see it’s in red first then forms part of the path.
    5. The comment on rather being alive than right is a complete cop out. I cycle defensively and will take the central line when going through roundabouts and tight areas etc. I am in no danger on the road and had completed a 20km (within 5km) without issue. Simply this driver is the same as anyone who wants to commit a criminal act, they will still do it regardless. An ahole is an ahole no matter where they are.

You fly boys craic me up !!

Just obey the rules / be where your meant to be and all will be ok.
    We can’t pick and chose which rules apply to us.

Stay safe

• Advertisement

doughef wrote: »

Stay safe

Where do I state anything that’s illegal , I abide by all the rules of the road and stop at all red lights etc.

I also drive by the way as I’m in a rural area, and need to be on lookout for persons on horses also when going around bends etc.

I am lit up like a Christmas tree on my bike with red hi vis coat, lupine front light, a white flasher, rear supernova light, red flasher and rear reflector. You cannot help but see me, I do this as I regularly cycle at night but also fun the lights during the day.

Cycles are considered vehicles on the road and are allowed “take the lane” when necessary. If they do wished they could just cycle the whole time in the center of the lane however we don’t and I don’t recommend that. I’m courteous to otter road users including cars. I will not however cycle in the gutter - it’s dangerous for more than one reason. Do you drive your car purposely over potholes? I don’t, so why would you think that a cycle could handle them better. In this video I was positioned on the left if the lane approximately 2 ft from kerb.

I don’t pick any if the rules, I abide by all so what the hell arr you on about?

Where do I state anything that’s illegal , I abide by all the rules of the road and stop at all red lights etc.

I also drive by the way as I’m in a rural area, and need to be on lookout for persons on horses also when going around bends etc.

I am lit up like a Christmas tree on my bike with red hi vis coat, lupine front light, a white flasher, rear supernova light, red flasher and rear reflector. You cannot help but see me, I do this as I regularly cycle at night but also fun the lights during the day.

Cycles are considered vehicles on the road and are allowed “take the lane” when necessary. If they do wished they could just cycle the whole time in the center of the lane however we don’t and I don’t recommend that. I’m courteous to otter road users including cars. I will not however cycle in the gutter - it’s dangerous for more than one reason. Do you drive your car purposely over potholes? I don’t, so why would you think that a cycle could handle them better. In this video I was positioned on the left if the lane approximately 2 ft from kerb.

I don’t pick any if the rules, I abide by all so what the hell arr you on about?

Stay safe bro - maybe the cycle lane on that road would be a good idea next time.

Stay safe bro - maybe the cycle lane on that road would be a good idea next time.

No it’s not, get used to cycles etc being on the roads as there will be a lot more of them after this lockdown.

Cyclists be courteous to drivers.
    Drivers look out for cyclists and pass when safe.

Thanks

Stay safe
    You really need to re-read the rules of the road because you're quite incorrect in your understanding of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Meeting a very large Class and trailer here. He was on the white line.

Middle aged man in white crossover (Renault?) managed to squeeze between me and tractor.

I was in left wheel track in the drops. Really wasn't expecting a car to squeeze through right when meeting the tractor.

• Advertisement

Point taken but your post was suggesting that the cyclist should be going slower and you refer to the cycle path beside the OP. Neither of which are really relevant in terms of a prick driver putting someone in danger.

Again, there's not much you can do about bad drivers on the road. You just need to look out for yourself and avoid danger if you can.

You've just proven my point! You can cycle defensively, take the central line etc. and be completely in the right, but there's nothing you can do about dangerous drivers.

Again, there's not much you can do about bad drivers on the road. You just need to look out for yourself and avoid danger if you can.

You've just proven my point! You can cycle defensively, take the central line etc. and be completely in the right, but there's nothing you can do about dangerous drivers.

Actually you can do multiple things you can do about dangerous drivers.

1. Be aware of your surroundings and other drivers.
    2. If someone is not looking at you from an exit then assume they haven’t seen you.
    3. If a driver does something on purpose that was dangerous report them
    4. Follow up on report and don’t take no for an answer from Garda.
    5. Make there reg number visible on YouTube so if they have multiple incidents they can be charged more seriously.

This will reduce the amount of dangerous drivers and increase the realisation of what is acceptable driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@kennethsmyth
    As my grandmother used say: "you've the patience of Job"
    I can't remember, who Job was, but apparently, he was a very patient man.

Actually you can do multiple things you can do about dangerous drivers.

1. Be aware of your surroundings and other drivers.
    2. If someone is not looking at you from an exit then assume they haven’t seen you.
    3. If a driver does something on purpose that was dangerous report them
    4. Follow up on report and don’t take no for an answer from Garda.
    5. Make there reg number visible on YouTube so if they have multiple incidents they can be charged more seriously.

This will reduce the amount of dangerous drivers and increase the realisation of what is acceptable driving.

1. Won't stop any driver from behaving dangerously, you are just avoiding being in a position where a dangerous driver can impact you
    2. Same as point 1. Effectively what I was saying earlier about avoiding putting yourself into potentially dangerous situations.
    3. Again, that won't undo the driver behaving dangerously in the moment. Might help prevent future incidents though.
    4. As per point 3.
    5. As per point 3.

As Picard once said, "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose."

Look, everything you're saying is right at limiting the risk, but there still will be a risk when you're on the road as opposed to a cycle lane.

1. Won't stop any driver from behaving dangerously, you are just avoiding being in a position where a dangerous driver can impact you
    2. Same as point 1. Effectively what I was saying earlier about avoiding putting yourself into potentially dangerous situations.
    3. Again, that won't undo the driver behaving dangerously in the moment. Might help prevent future incidents though.
    4. As per point 3.
    5. As per point 3.

Look, everything you're saying is right at limiting the risk, but there still will be a risk when you're on the road as opposed to a cycle lane.

There is also a risk on cycle path, going on and off or someone/something stepping onto it. At some point of mitigation of risk it becomes that you are not actually living and have zero experiences due to reducing risk. Cycling on road is normal, drivers need to expect cyclists and so long as the cyclists are not taking the mick then there should be no frustration between either party.

There is also a risk on cycle path, going on and off or someone/something stepping onto it. At some point of mitigation of risk it becomes that you are not actually living and have zero experiences due to reducing risk. Cycling on road is normal, drivers need to expect cyclists and so long as the cyclists are not taking the mick then there should be no frustration between either party.
    That in itself is a problem.
    I've challenged drivers for stupid passes only to be told how I was "all over the road" despite me travelling in a straight line.
    People frequently see what they want to see!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's quite easy and simple to boil down; if you feel more comfortable and safer on the road, use the road. if you feel more comfortable and safer on the cycle path, use the cycle path.

quite often it's safer to not use the cycle path. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

4. As per point 3.
    5. As per point 3.

Are you seriously using a fictional character to back up an argument?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @kennethsmyth

Ha ha, I have a habit of playing the long game alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are you seriously using a fictional character to back up an argument?
    i'm just trying to wrap my head around quoting someone using the past tense for something they say in the 24th century.

• Advertisement

@kennethsmyth

We had a priest at school who liked to tell us about Job and his patience, I remember putting it to him that it seemed to me that Job was actually a more a stubborn and persistent guy than a patient one. He didn't like my take on Job at all.

Hi guys

Just wondering if there is something in the charter about posting pictures of peoples cars, with the registration clearly visible .

Is this not against GDPR regulations ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hi guys

Just wondering if there is something in the charter about posting pictures of peoples cars, with the registration clearly visible .

No. People are not identifiable by a car registration plate. Also, driving your car on a public road, you are allowed be filmed/photographed etc.

Youtube would have a hell of a time cleaning stuff up if it was remotely a problem.

What people think GDPR covers, and reality are often a mile apart.

Weepsie wrote: »
    No. People are not identifiable by a car registration plate. Also, driving your car on a public road, you are allowed be filmed/photographed etc.

Youtube would have a hell of a time cleaning stuff up if it was remotely a problem.

Ok cool- thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice try Doug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi guys

Is the reg not clearly visible while he's driving around the road?

There's no expectation of privacy when in a public place

Edit: multiple people in ahead of me

cletus wrote: »
    Is the reg not clearly visible while he's driving around the road?

There's no expectation of privacy when in a public place

Edit: multiple people in ahead of me

Yes, but capturing it and posting it to social media platform without consent might be against the regulations?
    Also .. these drivers are being accused of acting illegally without their knowledge.
    Surely that’s against the regulations/ law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes, but capturing it and posting it to social media platform without consent might be against the regulations?
    Also .. these drivers are being accused of acting illegally without their knowledge.
    Surely that’s against the regulations/ law ?

What ya do then there doug is stop waffling on about it and back seat modding posts and report them using the report button

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What ya do then there doug is stop waffling on about it and back seat modding posts and report them using the report button

I was only asking the question - but I agree, anything I feel is illegal or breaks any EU regulations will be reported.

Stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was only asking the question - but I agree, anything I feel is illegal or breaks any EU regulations will be reported.

Stay safe

You don’t know the ROTR
    You don’t know GDPR
    ;)

Stay safe.

Advertisement