Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona Petrol vs Kona Hybrid Running costs

• 26-11-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm considering buying a new car and have narrowed it down to the Hyundai Kona but I'm unsure which option to go for - the Petrol or hybrid version. My average daily commute is about 40km with occasional longer trips of over 100km.

The hybrid version costs about €5k more than the petrol version so just wonder what the running costs are for both and would it be worth spending the extra initially?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The hybrid is supposed to be around 25% more efficient than the 1.0 turbo, plus it has a twin clutch automatic gearbox.
    Unless the auto box appeals to you, I’d just save the €5k. Hybrid is obviously in fashion these days but I can see you losing most of the €5k come trade in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

I'm considering buying a new car and have narrowed it down to the Hyundai Kona but I'm unsure which option to go for - the Petrol or hybrid version. My average daily commute is about 40km with occasional longer trips of over 100km.
    ?

Depends on what type of driving... Hybrids work really well in urban traffic stop/start etc. However when driving on the motorway you are never using the electric motor so it is just extra weight you are bringing around.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd probably just get the petrol version if it's 5 grand cheaper. It's a regular hybrid not a plug in so you'd probably never make the 5 grand back in fuel savings I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

VikingG wrote: »
    Depends on what type of driving... Hybrids work really well in urban traffic stop/start etc. However when driving on the motorway you are never using the electric motor so it is just extra weight you are bringing around.

Newer hybrids like the Kona actually do use the electric motor on the motorway. Older models used to be speed limited to around 50km/h but newer ones can easily drive at motorway speeds on their motors. It's obviously not as good as a plug-in hybrid but it still helps.

From a review:
    The headline figure then is fuel economy: officially, the Kona Hybrid returns between 52 and 56mpg (trims with larger tyres are slightly less efficient), which is a big improvement on the 44mpg offered by the 1.0-litre petrol. It isn’t quite as good as the hybrid Niro, but it’s still commendable for a car that’s ultimately powered entirely by petrol.

The better news is that you’re likely to replicate the official figure in the real world: on our first drive in the Netherlands, the Kona Hybrid comfortably hit 50mpg on the motorway, rising to almost 60mpg on slower, rural roads. It’s worth noting that our test route was smooth, quiet and flat, but the indicated fuel economy was impressive all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If you had the cash it might be worth looking at the Kia Niro PHEV

The PHEV range is 50km on battery and then it kicks into hybrid mode. The range is also 50km, a number of posters on electric car forum can confirm. A PHEV is better to a hybrid. You do need a home charger of course.

The Niro is also a bit bigger if you want that. It is quite a jump from the straight petrol so you will be a while before you get it back. But the resale on the PHEV should be better longer term you would hope.....

• Advertisement

How much is a Niro hybrid? Was in one a few years ago and it seemed like a nice enough car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much is a Niro hybrid? Was in one a few years ago and it seemed like a nice enough car.

The PHEV is 32500 list so probably 33-34......

The hybrid Niro never really sold, you can pick them up second hand really cheap

Sorry I meant PHEV, big jump from a €21500 Kona!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

So the difference between 40 and say 50mpg is 1.3l/100km. Let's say 1.5 and round up. You do 40km a day which is say half again rounding up so 0.75 litres. over 5 days and 50 weeks a year. That's 187 litres which at 1.50eu per litre is 300eu a year again rounding up.

So for the extra 5k you only need to keep the car 16 years and you'll be saving money every time you drive compared to the cheap petrol. You lucky duck! Of course this can improve if you do really slow city type driving suited to hybrid.

If hybrids cost no extra then great but be very careful of hybrid premiums. Its a luxury scam to make virtue signallers feel better and car manufacturers rich at their expense.

Advertisement