Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few basic questions about renting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

We have a very different outlook culturally to things like property and tenancy. Colonial hangover maybe. But it isn’t that big a deal.
    I’m renting and had a room let on a licensee basis with a guy and month by month basis.
    6 months into it he was all apologies and moving in with his fella and that wasn’t a problem at all. Was sorry to see him go but it worked for him and me and subsequent housemates.
    Just had to put an ad on daft and screen a few people to find a new housemate. A few hours hassle but that’s all.

I don’t buy it being a huge trauma and loss or the landlord. It really isn’t. It’s a money grab. Especially keeping the deposit even though the total has been paid. Greed
    And yes, especially in this market.

We only have a hang up when the market is not in the tenants favour. Look back in the early 2010's when tenants left properties before the end of the lease if they found somewhere they liked better.

We don't have a "market", a market allows the setting of prices by supply and demand.

There is time and effort involved for the landlord that the landlords should not have had to incur just because the tenant decided they wanted to leave early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

We only have a hang up when the market is not in the tenants favour. Look back in the early 2010's when tenants left properties before the end of the lease if they found somewhere they liked better.

We don't have a "market", a market allows the setting of prices by supply and demand.

There is time and effort involved for the landlord that the landlords should not have had to incur just because the tenant decided they wanted to leave early.

How do you think the prices got to where they are now?

terrydel wrote: »
    How do you think the prices got to where they are now?

The prices now are only applicable to new supply what about the existing supply at under market prices?

The prices now are only applicable to new supply what about the existing supply at under market prices?

Tough ****e, the alternative is massive increases in homelessness and destruction of people's lives thru in ability to afford a roof over their heads. If that discommodes a few landlords I know which I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

If the dog is that small say nothing. They don’t need to know. And never will.

Really????? I'd know the second I walked into the house.

• Advertisement

Tough ****e, the alternative is massive increases in homelessness and destruction of people's lives thru in ability to afford a roof over their heads. If that discommodes a few landlords I know which I prefer.

Typical response, those who have tried to better themselves and take risk must subsidise everyone else, but if it fails for those who take the risk they are on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Letting accommodation is a business. Revenue, PRTB dont cut the landlord any slack.
    Landlords let a property for a year and then get on with their life. They have more to do than waiting around to facilitate some tenant that wants to break the lease after nine months.
    The tenant wll be quick enough to insist that the landlord abide by the lease if the landlord said he wanted the tenant gone after nine months

Typical response, those who have tried to better themselves and take risk must subsidise everyone else, but if it fails for those who take the risk they are on their own.

Ahahahaha. Where to even start with that.
    So people who arent landlords and are at the mercy of rents and property price inflation have never tried to better themselves or took risks?
    You are clearly of the capitalist persuasion, and yet you want to have it both ways, make profit and when your investment fails to be bailed out?
    Hahahahahaha. How are you subsidizing anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If the dog is that small say nothing. They don’t need to know. And never will.

Hard to get rid of dog smell. An owner's nose is oblivious to it. But one quick call round from a landlord and they'll smell it.

Ahahahaha. Where to even start with that.
    So people who arent landlords and are at the mercy of rents and property price inflation have never tried to better themselves or took risks?
    You are clearly of the capitalist persuasion, and yet you want to have it both ways, make profit and when your investment fails to be bailed out?
    Hahahahahaha. How are you subsidizing anyone?

Where did I say those who are renting did not take risks?

If you want a functioning market then let it function like any other market, simple law of economics when supply equals demand you get equilibrium.

You appear to be on the left, let everybody else pay for it.

Again where did I say I wanted to be bailed out? I am more than happy to let the free market decide, thats exactly what happens in every business. You do want a more professional and business like model in the rental sector don't you? Well you can't have it both ways, you either want a professional and business model for the rental sector or you don't. So what do you want?

Subsiding happens when you are restricted from acheiving market price for goods or services. Although I will give you credit you already know that and are just trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Edgware wrote: »
    Why do Irish people not accept that a contract is a legally enforceable agreement?

Because sometimes they aren't enforceable on their terms. Contractual agreements can be and are amended by law. The Unfair terms in consumer contracts directive and the Residential property acts are both good examples of where this occurs.

Relevant to this instance is the provision that provides that notwithstanding the terms of the lease a tenant can serve a notice of termination where a landlord refuses to agree to an assignment.

This only applies after part IV rights acquired (so after 6 months) and the relevant notice period must be given.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/types-of-tenancies-and-agreements/subletting-and-assignment/

Where did I say those who are renting did not take risks?

If you want a functioning market then let it function like any other market, simple law of economics when supply equals demand you get equilibrium.

You appear to be on the left, let everybody else pay for it.

Again where did I say I wanted to be bailed out? I am more than happy to let the free market decide, thats exactly what happens in every business. You do want a more professional and business like model in the rental sector don't you? Well you can't have it both ways, you either want a professional and business model for the rental sector or you don't. So what do you want?

Subsiding happens when you are restricted from acheiving market price for goods or services. Although I will give you credit you already know that and are just trolling.

But its blatantly not functioning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You view of people on the left is simplistic and laughable and the very epitome of trolling.
    The free market has had total control of our housing sector for years and is solely responsible for where it is now, which is completely unfit for purpose.
    You seem to want to continue that.
    Answer the question. Without rent controls we'd have 100% had massive increases in homelessness. Is that what you want? Because your argument would appear to say you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

lawred2 wrote: »
    Hard to get rid of dog smell. An owner's nose is oblivious to it. But one quick call round from a landlord and they'll smell it.

Never thought of that

But its blatantly not functioning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You view of people on the left is simplistic and laughable and the very epitome of trolling.
    The free market has had total control of our housing sector for years and is solely responsible for where it is now, which is completely unfit for purpose.
    You seem to want to continue that.
    Answer the question. Without rent controls we'd have 100% had massive increases in homelessness. Is that what you want? Because your argument would appear to say you do.

it is not functioning because of govt interference. The free market has not had control of the market, look at HAP which put a floor on rents, look at RPZ's, they don't work, this has been proven in other housing sectors in other countries.

Explain to me how you would have increases in homelessness if rent controls where not in place? do you think landlords would leave properties empty rather than not renting them? That does not make business sense.

Logic would say a landlord would set the rent at what he could get this is the basic concept of a functioning market.

it is not functioning because of govt interference. The free market has not had control of the market, look at HAP which put a floor on rents, look at RPZ's, they don't work, this has been proven in other housing sectors in other countries.

Explain to me how you would have increases in homelessness if rent controls where not in place? do you think landlords would leave properties empty rather than not renting them? That does not make business sense.

Logic would say a landlord would set the rent at what he could get this is the basic concept of a functioning market.

Those schemes only exist because the free market led us to the most dysfunctional housing market in the developed world, they are a symptom not the cause.
    Only the most myopic of neolibs would even dare suggest that we are in this position for any other reason than the policies they espouse.
    The vast majority of people entering homelessness are coming from the rental sector, fact, so even a complete idiot could see that further increases would exacerbate that. And without controls we would have seen increases, because the demand was and is there to keep driving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Those schemes only exist because the free market led us to the most dysfunctional housing market in the developed world, they are a symptom not the cause.
    Only the most myopic of neolibs would even dare suggest that we are in this position for any other reason than the policies they espouse.
    The vast majority of people entering homelessness are coming from the rental sector, fact, so even a complete idiot could see that further increases would exacerbate that. And without controls we would have seen increases, because the demand was and is there to keep driving them.

Rpz and rtb meant LL selling up huge numbers of properties which were then vacant for long periods in the middle of the so called housing crisis. A lot of investors would not buy these properties as locked in below market rate ...do I need to cont?

You refuse to accept the fundamental laws of economics of supply v demand. Why do you think those people entering homelessness are coming from the rental sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

lawred2 wrote: »

I think I am going to have to take the risk with the dog...its either that or I'm homeless. The first agency I went to I said I had a dog and his email back to me "are you planning on keeping the dog....:eek:" yes I am keeping our family pet of 6 years :mad:

Hes a non shedding samll non destructive dog its a risk Im going to roll with. It would be a different story if it was an Alsatian or a couple or golden retrievers

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

rightmove wrote: »
    Rpz and rtb meant LL selling up huge numbers of properties which were then vacant for long periods in the middle of the so called housing crisis. A lot of investors would not buy these properties as locked in below market rate ...do I need to cont?

You lost me at 'so called housing crisis'

You refuse to accept the fundamental laws of economics of supply v demand. Why do you think those people entering homelessness are coming from the rental sector?

You refuse to except that your ideology is the cause of the problem and a continuation of it would have caused more, which you seem perfectly ok with.
    Its not my fault you are an uncaring me feiner. All on you that.
    They are entering it because theyve been priced out thanks to the private market having total control of our housing sector, and had no controls been put in place more of them would have entered it. Simple as that. Deny it all you want but its just making you look severely lacking in intelligence.

Mod Note

Attack the post, not the poster.
    Consider this an on thread warning.

• Advertisement

You refuse to except that your ideology is the cause of the problem and a continuation of it would have caused more, which you seem perfectly ok with.
    Its not my fault you are an uncaring me feiner. All on you that.
    They are entering it because theyve been priced out thanks to the private market having total control of our housing sector, and had no controls been put in place more of them would have entered it. Simple as that. Deny it all you want but its just making you look severely lacking in intelligence.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you resorted to personal insults. Just shows your inability to have a reasoned discussion.

We had a previous run in on boards. I said on that forum I am well able to personalize posts if you want. I won't start personalizing posts but I have no problem if you want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's not the job of private LL's to house people who can't afford the rents, it's up to the Government. Rent controls and now this stupid idea of a rent freeze make LL's, who were a precarious bunch in the first place, leave the market. If there was a serious will to solve this issue then the way to go is tax relief for renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I think I am going to have to take the risk with the dog...its either that or I'm homeless. The first agency I went to I said I had a dog and his email back to me "are you planning on keeping the dog....:eek:" yes I am keeping our family pet of 6 years :mad:

Hes a non shedding samll non destructive dog its a risk Im going to roll with. It would be a different story if it was an Alsatian or a couple or golden retrievers

You're not really talking about taking a risk. You are talking about imposing a risk on your landlord without their knowledge or consent and actively concealing it from them. It is not your property that will be exposed to the dog.

You lost me at 'so called housing crisis'

Not surprised

rightmove wrote: »
    Not surprised

You're not much of anything.

Odd one for you.

I had to get our boiler fixed last week. Turns out it was an airlock.
    It cost €80

Do I pay that or can I deduct it from rent? And obviously let the landlord know?

Odd one for you.

It cost €80

Do I pay that or can I deduct it from rent? And obviously let the landlord know?

Don't deduct it from rent. Get agreement from landlord he will pay you back and you pay for it. Deducting from rent can cause problems for landlord.

Should not be a major issue. Give invoice to landlord for his records and tax returns.

You're not much of anything.
    Well done

Anyone denying the fact there’s a housing and accommodation crisis in this country very clearly doesn’t live here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Odd one for you.

It cost €80

That might depend on the cause of the airlock.

Advertisement