Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few basic questions about renting

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Odd one for you.

I had to get our boiler fixed last week. Turns out it was an airlock.
    It cost €80

Do I pay that or can I deduct it from rent? And obviously let the landlord know?

No, you cannot deduct it from the rent unless the landlord agrees. You should have gotten agreement from the landlord prior to arranging the fix. The landlord may have been able to fix it for free, air locks are incredibly easy to fix so the LL may argue it was an expense they would not have had to pay.

terrydel wrote: »
    You refuse to except that your ideology is the cause of the problem and a continuation of it would have caused more, which you seem perfectly ok with.
    Its not my fault you are an uncaring me feiner. All on you that.
    They are entering it because theyve been priced out thanks to the private market having total control of our housing sector, and had no controls been put in place more of them would have entered it. Simple as that. Deny it all you want but its just making you look severely lacking in intelligence.

Mod Note

Attack the post, not the poster.
    Consider this an on thread warning.
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you resorted to personal insults. Just shows your inability to have a reasoned discussion.

We had a previous run in on boards. I said on that forum I am well able to personalize posts if you want. I won't start personalizing posts but I have no problem if you want to go there.
    terrydel wrote: »
    You're not much of anything.

Guys,

Leave it at that please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

kceire wrote: »
    No, you cannot deduct it from the rent unless the landlord agrees. You should have gotten agreement from the landlord prior to arranging the fix. The landlord may have been able to fix it for free, air locks are incredibly easy to fix so the LL may argue it was an expense they would not have had to pay.

I never go near the landlord for anything. Ever. Bought my own mattresses do any repairs myself Put down new laminate flooring paint the place annually. We don’t ask for anything ever an here 8 years. The boiler seems like a grey area though.

I never go near the landlord for anything. Ever. Bought my own mattresses do any repairs myself Put down new laminate flooring paint the place annually. We don’t ask for anything ever an here 8 years. The boiler seems like a grey area though.

I’m not saying he won’t be ok with it.
    The legal thing, you cannot deduct it from the rent without the LL’s consent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

kceire wrote: »
    I’m not saying he won’t be ok with it.
    The legal thing, you cannot deduct it from the rent without the LL’s consent.

We always did an just kept receipts. No problem no harm. Came for his first visit in 8 years back in feb and I handed him a big bag of receipts. He was cool with it. Didn’t seem to have noticed

• Advertisement

We always did an just kept receipts. No problem no harm. Came for his first visit in 8 years back in feb and I handed him a big bag of receipts. He was cool with it. Didn’t seem to have noticed

Then it would appear that you have your answer.
    If you already have trend over the years to do this and the LL is ok with it then your grand.

No need to ask us as we can only give you the official legal answer.

Advertisement