Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used car prices in January

• 26-11-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

What happens used car prices come January. Will I see a drop in the same 161 car overnight on the 1st January. Or is it a case that price will go down but trade-in value offered will drop by the same amount.

Also, will supply of used cars increase with all the PCPs coming back to dealers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

barrac wrote: »
    What happens used car prices come January. Will I see a drop in the same 161 car overnight on the 1st January. Or is it a case that price will go down but trade-in value offered will drop by the same amount.

Also, will supply of used cars increase with all the PCPs coming back to dealers?

Will be the same as now, some great deals, some poor deals and salesmen will still be looking to make as much cash as they can.
    Every car is depreciating

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Will be the same as now, some great deals, some poor deals and salesmen will still be looking to make as much cash as they can.
    Every car is depreciating

Thanks Johnny. What I'm getting at is whether it's standard for used prices to drop when a 161 reg goes from a 3 year old car to a 4 year old car overnight, ie on 1 January.

Of course every car depreciates, but wondering if a new calendar year accelerates this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its not always a guarantee they will go down in price, but typically the longer you wait, the more likely it is that they will be cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Thanks Johnny. What I'm getting at is whether it's standard for used prices to drop when a 161 reg goes from a 3 year old car to a 4 year old car overnight, ie on 1 January.

Of course every car depreciates, but wondering if a new calendar year accelerates this.

You have to weight that against January being a v busy month for salesmen.
    They're meeting quotas within the first weeks on Jan and less likely to bother haggling with you.

I would have thought Dec would be a good month. End of year, less trading days, rare that most people are buying cars etc...

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You have to weight that against January being a v busy month for salesmen.
    They're meeting quotas within the first weeks on Jan and less likely to bother haggling with you.

I would have thought Dec would be a good month. End of year, less trading days, rare that most people are buying cars etc...

Good point although on the flip side there are some that have done their quota for the year and don't give a sh*t. Am waiting 2 weeks+ for a certain BMW dealer to call me back with a price to change after he brought me for a test drive in a 5 series! I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you looked up north or the UK there’s a massive price difference, don’t expect to get a good price on yours come trade in time just because it came from bmw.

Have you looked up north or the UK there’s a massive price difference, don’t expect to get a good price on yours come trade in time just because it came from bmw.

Way better selection in the UK alright but then I still need to get rid of my own car. Which can negate the savings from sourcing in the UK. Bought my current car in the UK so I know all about the savings but didn't have a car to trade last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Way better selection in the UK alright but then I still need to get rid of my own car. Which can negate the savings from sourcing in the UK. Bought my current car in the UK so I know all about the savings but didn't have a car to trade last time.

Unless there going to retail it they’ll only give you what a trader would pay anyway. Just go direct to a trader or try and sell privately. I got 4k more privately than bmw or a trader would offer me for my last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

No standard formula, if the car was there for the second half of the previous year they might look at dropping it. If it was just taken in recently they might not. Doesn't happen overnight for every car at all but its very possible, depends entirely on the specific dealer and the car you are looking at.

Advertisement