Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Point in Upgrading Eircom PW alarm?

Options
  • 26-11-2019 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey,

So we have an old eircom phonewatch alarm in the house (detached, 3 story, housing estate) which was put in by previous owners about 15y ago. I had been thinking of upgrading it to a newer system that u talk about here, but is there much point as if burglars want to get in they will anyway?

Other security measures we have are, composite front door (steel, seemingly take a sledge hammer to get through), anti-bump locks, internal latches on all downstairs windows put in by locksmith, Ring doorbell with camera, motion sensor lights at front, back and two sides of house, and two dummy cameras.

So, is there any point of a fancier alarm system? I work from home, so theres always activity, lights etc, and we have kids too.

Let me know your thoughts! Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Them alarms are dirt to be honest.

Definitely be good idea to fit one you get notifications from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

kulekat wrote: »
    Hey,

So we have an old eircom phonewatch alarm in the house (detached, 3 story, housing estate) which was put in by previous owners about 15y ago. I had been thinking of upgrading it to a newer system that u talk about here, but is there much point as if burglars want to get in they will anyway?

Other security measures we have are, composite front door (steel, seemingly take a sledge hammer to get through), anti-bump locks, internal latches on all downstairs windows put in by locksmith, Ring doorbell with camera, motion sensor lights at front, back and two sides of house, and two dummy cameras.

So, is there any point of a fancier alarm system? I work from home, so theres always activity, lights etc, and we have kids too.

Let me know your thoughts! Many thanks

Seems like you're living in Fort Knox.Why do you want more?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Yes, its def an antique. What sort of notifications do I need other than 3 people being notified of the break-in? If a few lads break in, do they say to themselves 'ok fancy alarm here so owner is notified, we better be quicker)'. They dont give a s### so the noise isnt going to bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

bmc58 wrote: »
    Seems like you're living in Fort Knox.Why do you want more?

Lol, and nothing in the house only plastic toys :) yea, thats my point really. Do I need more than an old alarm system with the other things in place. (Background: parents house broken into a few times, once while i was there and the fkrs came into bedroom, stole lots of sentimental stuff). Needless to say Ive nothing to steal now, but its the invasion of privacy etc that lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kulekat wrote: »
    Yes, its def an antique. What sort of notifications do I need other than 3 people being notified of the break-in? If a few lads break in, do they say to themselves 'ok fancy alarm here so owner is notified, we better be quicker)'. They dont give a s### so the noise isnt going to bother them.

So for the knowledge something has or is happening or false alarms.

CCTV is a good thing too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement