Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The "a" in "nacelle" is the same as "a" in "about", a schwa sound.

I've opened a can of worms:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

iamtony wrote: »
    I've opened a can of worms:D

To be truly French you should half clear your throat while saying the 'Nac' part.

*Only after the threat of the Coronavirus has passed though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The "a" in "nacelle" is the same as "a" in "about", a schwa sound.

As in nah cell...?
    , it is a french word...
    How'd it be said in cork though ... ?

Worms wriggling everywhere ..... And who put them in a can in the first place ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Whatever way you say it, variant is best of the bunch.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kadman wrote: »
    Whatever way you say it, variant is best of the bunch.:)

The Cub for me!!

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    As in nah cell...?
    , it is a french word...
    How'd it be said in cork though ... ?

Worms wriggling everywhere ..... And who put them in a can in the first place ....
    I dunno about cork but where I'm from in Dublin we would just call it a plastic yoke :pac:

Alfa, it's a shame your not good at this restoring stuff, you could have a good youtube channel called something like "my dads shed" where you restore the stuff one at a time over years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Jeff2

It would be great if all this stuff endeds up in the hands of people that knew what they are doing as resorting them.

One of the best threads on boards in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Jeff2 wrote: »
    It would be great if all this stuff ended up in the hands of people that knew what they are doing as restoring them.

That's sorta the plan (though I'm up the walls at the moment with other stuff so it'll be a few months before I can seriously look at the cars + bikes.)

I wouldn't like to part with anything unless I knew it was to the right person. For me it's not really about getting a few quid for the vehicles (as to be honest, I don't even own them in the first place!!) but knowing that, if sold, they would be brought back to their former glory by someone who appreciated them for what they were.

You know what I should do. As a stipulation in any sale I could demand that the new owner document the vehicle's restoration right here in this thread. The thread would run for years and we'd all see the various outcomes. That'd be cool. A sort of communal Boards Restoration project :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

O.P., Zetor fan here, could you put up a few pictures of the 2511 when you get a chance ?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

alfa beta wrote: »
    That's sorta the plan (though I'm up the walls at the moment with other stuff so it'll be a few months before I can seriously look at the cars + bikes.)

I wouldn't like to part with anything unless I knew it was to the right person. For me it's not really about getting a few quid for the vehicles (as to be honest, I don't even own them in the first place!!) but knowing that, if sold, they would be brought back to their former glory by someone who appreciated them for what they were.

You know what I should do. As a stipulation in any sale I could demand that the new owner document the vehicle's restoration right here in this thread. The thread would run for years and we'd all see the various outcomes. That'd be cool. A sort of communal Boards Restoration project :):)

Realistically you could not make those demands of a potential buyer. Once they own it, they own it.
    And any potential buyer would tell you what you want to hear, to get the car.

Sell what you dont really want to keep, and it may finance the cars you want to keep.:)

O.P., Zetor fan here, could you put up a few pictures of the 2511 when you get a chance ?
    Cheers.

Great little tractor. My own 2511 has had some abuse down through the years, but still going strong.

Some of these machines may need new valves or adjustments to run on unleaded petrol.

Some of these machines may need new valves or adjustments to run on unleaded petrol.

Lord spare us, The Peugeot is diesel as is the Zetor, the MZ's are 2 stroke and don't have any valves. A shot of unleaded treatment would do the VW and as for the Tiger Cub? They'll run on any petrol that's knocking around the shed, I put 2 stroke mix in one by accident and it ran on it!! Little bit of a smoke screen but it was fine..

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Lord spare us, The Peugeot is diesel as is the Zetor, the MZ's are 2 stroke and don't have any valves. A shot of unleaded treatment would do the VW and as for the Tiger Cub? They'll run on any petrol that's knocking around the shed, I put 2 stroke mix in one by accident and it ran on it!! Little bit of a smoke screen but it was fine..

I was wondering about this the other day with regards to the Honda CX650 - When I had that on the road (when I lived in the UK in the late nineties) I could get stuff called LRP at the petrol station (I assume that meant Lead Replacement Petrol) ... so these days with an engine like that, designed to run on the petrol of the time would it be ok to fill up with normal unleaded petrol?

Just an additive then, that's great to know - I thought you'd have to make big changes etc. Thanks for that link :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

AFAIK all Honda since the 70s can run on unleaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

AFAIK all Honda since the 70s can run on unleaded.

I have a 69 fulvia that can run on unleaded, funnily enough the series 2 fulvias from 70 on cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

These three quotes seem to go together well:
    It would be great if all this stuff endeds up in the hands of people that knew what they are doing ...
    Lord spare us, The Peugeot is diesel as is the Zetor, the MZ's are 2 stroke and don't have any valves. A shot of unleaded treatment would do the VW and as for the Tiger Cub? They'll run on any petrol that's knocking around the shed...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Alpha, your bike was made to run on unleaded.

From American Motorcyclist Magazine 1985.
    The Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, familiar with the lead-free gasoline used at home, also began planning for unleaded fuel at an early stage. Honda, which has the longest experience with four-stroke engines, has made all of its motorcycles to unleaded specifications since 1969. "In fact, says Fred Wing, who trains Honda service-department personnel, "we see more problems when the owners don't run unleaded."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I have a 69 fulvia that can run on unleaded, funnily enough the series 2 fulvias from 70 on cant.

Any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Alpha, your bike was made to run on unleaded.

From American Motorcyclist Magazine 1985.
    The Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, familiar with the lead-free gasoline used at home, also began planning for unleaded fuel at an early stage. Honda, which has the longest experience with four-stroke engines, has made all of its motorcycles to unleaded specifications since 1969. "In fact, says Fred Wing, who trains Honda service-department personnel, "we see more problems when the owners don't run unleaded."

Hmmm, I had a ‘72 cb500 four and I used to have to add the lead stuff to it or it ran like a dog. Sorry I sold it. It was a minter. Might have a pic if anyone’s interested.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    These three quotes seem to go together well:

;)

I was right about the unleaded and no one mentioned it before I did.
    I have worked on Honda bikes made after 69 with burnt out valves that I was told was caused by running on unleaded petrol.

We don't know all of what the op alfa has.

Edit: I suppose the bikes I worked on could have been made pre 69 and registered years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Any pics?

Not wanting to derail this thread so theres some pics on this page.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058042810/2

I have worked on Honda bikes made after 69 with burnt out valves that I was told was caused by running on unleaded petrol.

Edit: I suppose the bikes I worked on could have been made pre 69 and registered years later.

Burnt out valves could be caused by other things as well as unleaded.
    Did you have to do any work on the valve seats?

http://www.thevintagecar.co.uk/convertingvintagecarsunleadedpetrol.html

kadman wrote: »
    Burnt out valves could be caused by other things as well as unleaded.
    Did you have to do any work on the valve seats?

http://www.thevintagecar.co.uk/convertingvintagecarsunleadedpetrol.html

No work in the valve seats bar a bit of grinding paste to grind the new valves in.

Lapping valves.

No you weren't, the 650 will run on unleaded, anyway I suspect most of them will be pleasure drives, so for the amount of driving they're going to get, lead memory should see them out. Don't grind the valves!!

No you weren't, the 650 will run on unleaded, anyway I suspect most of them will be pleasure drives, so for the amount of driving they're going to get, lead memory should see them out. Don't grind the valves!!

You come across as angry.

My input has been right for the most part and informative.

Lets all keep friends following the thread rather than arguing.

• Advertisement

In fairness most of your input has been sh|te, including your tractor knowledge. I mean that in the friendliest way, of course.

I'v worked on ferguson and Massy.

But long time ago. So yes.

I'm looking forward to what OP does rather than arguing but a bit of input and knowledge is helpful.

Advertisement