Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snagging issue/garden issue

Options
  • 27-11-2019 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi ,just had our 1st snag done by a local engineer and the report was sent to the foreman ,it was sent to me today and I am a bit shocked .There was one issue on the whole form and the next 4/5 lines was just get cert for this etc etc .No other problems listed

Now my problem is that my wife was wondering around there at the weekend and she noticed 2/3 issues just on the back window sills and side door alone

I am now really worried that the engineer just floated through and missed loads ,I plan to go there tomorrow with my father and check to see what else is there
    Do I have any comeback on the enginner if I find more than 10 issues we say ?

Am I allowed submit a new list ?,I haven't handed over any money yet so do I still have time

Also there is a big dip at the bottom of the garden ,looks like 1/2 foot between the top of the garden to the bottom
    Am I right to say this should be some bit level ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I had a smiler problem & we didn’t notice problems until we were actually in the house & they became apparent!! Unfortunately due to the fact the snagger & the seller were related ( we were completely unaware of that fact ) he ignored a lot of things wrong in the house. So if it was me , I would point them out to the engineer & see what he has got to say ...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Our snagger submitted quite a long list but it missed several major issues. It was actually a bit messy as the 'long list' included some really stupid things. Luckily they sent the list onto us before the builder, and we amended it. We just submitted our second list and I kept it simple and clear, so when we go back there's no excuse for it not to be done.

I would be fairly p****d off with your snagger. You can of course contact the builder and tell them you were unhappy with the snagger and ask if you can bring someone else in.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

Yeah going to head back up there today and see what we can find and just give it to the foreman
    Now I hope I am wrong and the house really was fantastically finished and the damage my wife saw occurred after the snag but my gut says different
    Does the foreman have to fix these issues or can he say well you have had your snag and tough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I done a snag on my sister's house and found at least 50 to 60 issues.

Counter tops, cupboard doors kitchen and bedrooms, drawers cut the wrong way so cut was obvious, handles not flush or misaligned, ceilings missed painted spots, wooden floors upstairs with holes of the size of a golf balls, banisters with chunks missing and painted over including the handrail section, skirting boards chipped, window vents broken or missing, drains completely blocked with sand and stones, gas flue left loose and not cemented in.

There was more....

To be honest anyone could do these snags and I don't believe it's worth the high price unless you don't have a clue.

Suppose it helped I worked on sites and serviced buildings etc....

The builder spat his tea out with the list and it took over 30 days to sort.

Her house I believe is better then the show house now ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Hi ,just had our 1st snag done by a local engineer and the report was sent to the foreman ,it was sent to me today and I am a bit shocked .There was one issue on the whole form and the next 4/5 lines was just get cert for this etc etc .No other problems listed

Now my problem is that my wife was wondering around there at the weekend and she noticed 2/3 issues just on the back window sills and side door alone

I am now really worried that the engineer just floated through and missed loads ,I plan to go there tomorrow with my father and check to see what else is there
    Do I have any comeback on the enginner if I find more than 10 issues we say ?

Am I allowed submit a new list ?,I haven't handed over any money yet so do I still have time

Also there is a big dip at the bottom of the garden ,looks like 1/2 foot between the top of the garden to the bottom
    Am I right to say this should be some bit level ?

What Certs are your snagger looking for?
    Generally, a snag is not about Statutory compliance, so certs etc are not requested as these are a separate piece of compliance that the developments designer looks after, and your Solicitor will get a copy of the CCC which cover all this.

The snag should be visual items that need addressing, saving there's anything serious wrong.

It sounds like your Engineer is not snag experienced and requesting things higher up the food chain, when the problems such as visual defects are ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Always check who you are using has PI. I would also recommend a sample report.

I would also have a walk through first and do my own list and compare it to the engineers. Any issues with either list give them a call to discuss.

Yeah going to head back up there today and see what we can find and just give it to the foreman
    Now I hope I am wrong and the house really was fantastically finished and the damage my wife saw occurred after the snag but my gut says different
    Does the foreman have to fix these issues or can he say well you have had your snag and tough ?

If you're not happy then you need to be firm about it but nice.

Put all in writing if any issues and discuss it openly on the housing estate Facebook page if there is one.

Keep at them till it's fixed.

Sure issues can arrise after all of the above and you could be moved in and something comes up that shouldn't.
    They would still have to fix.

Example sister's window the lock failed and she couldn't close or lock it.

The window remained open for 3 days though but they did fix.

So just back from the house and I found 7 fairly obvious issues,2 very loose sockets,2 doors wouldn't lock ,2 sills that needed repainting and 1 dent in the wall
    Still cant understand how the enginner missed these to be honest,Foreman has said they will fix these issues asap ,still waiting on a response to the garden

So just back from the house and I found 7 fairly obvious issues,2 very loose sockets,2 doors wouldn't lock ,2 sills that needed repainting and 1 dent in the wall
    Still cant understand how the enginner missed these to be honest,Foreman has said they will fix these issues asap ,still waiting on a response to the garden

What way is the garden?

Sure we had a bit of wind and the sisters fence fell down....
    They're putting in them cheap as chips rubbish wooden ones and they can be slid up on the posts.

Her garden is full of weeds and was like a jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Because an engineer is not a snagger,
    An engineer would not have a fine eye for finishing.
    The best snaggers you can get is someone who started working on building sites at the bottom of the the ladder and work there way up the ladder to at least a ganger or foreman.
    My brother was a snagger for one of the largest building companies in Ireland he was head snagger over a group of 5 people.
    He earned more money than most foreman, dreaded by all trades persons in the company.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Because an engineer is not a snagger,
    An engineer would not have a fine eye for finishing.
    The best snaggers you can get is someone who started working on building sites at the bottom of the the ladder and work there way up the ladder to at least a ganger or foreman.
    My brother was a snagger for one of the largest building companies in Ireland he was head snagger over a group of 5 people.
    He earned more money than most foreman, dreaded by all trades persons in the company.

In fairness I didn't just pick him off the internet ,I asked 2/3 different tradesman that I knew and 1 fella recommended him
    Then looked on his website and checked reviews
    Don't think there was much else I can do
    Oh well live and learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

My snagger found upward of 350 issues, 37 of which were in the ensuite alone. And this was in what was the show house... You need a new snagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

My snagger found upward of 350 issues, 37 of which were in the ensuite alone. And this was in what was the show house... You need a new snagger.

THIRTY SEVEN snags in the ensuite alone? Who built the house?

That is some poor finishing. Hope it's all tidied up now.

Wow that would worry me hugely ,if they can find 350 issues on the cosmetic side then what must be behind the plaster ,in the roof etc

Do you think the snagger was just being over zealous ?
    I have heard of snagger noting the same issue more than a couple of times and just wording differently
    Did you notice that on your list ?
    How was there 37 in the en suite alone

Advertisement