Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,748 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We don't let Diageo just pump whatever the fúck they want into the liffey because they'd be out of pocket if we didn't, and we certainly don't throw money at them .

Yes we do pay them, and Dublin is renowned for it. They use middlemen and women who pay exorbitant prices for it and then dump it into to the Liffey and the sea.

P.S. ^^^ Makes as much sense as your 'argument'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I do think government and EU policy has lead to Irish farmers becoming too involved with the beef/dairy side of the sector.
    The Irish market is clearly oversaturated with beef and dairy.

More and more people will want to buy as much local vegetables and produce as possible. And government and public policy will quite likely encourage this type of farming and consuming more in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yes we do pay them, and Dublin is renowned for it. They use middlemen and women who pay exorbitant prices for it and then dump it into to the Liffey and the sea.

What in the name of god are you talking about Francie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I do think government and EU policy has lead to Irish farmers becoming too involved with the beef/dairy side of the sector.
    The Irish market is clearly oversaturated with beef and dairy.

More and more people will want to buy as much local vegetables and produce as possible. And government and public policy will quite likely encourage this type of farming and consuming more in the future.

I disagree. We have excellent quality meat and produce in Ireland yet Big Phil signed us up to import low grade cheap Brazilian beef from cattle raised on pesticide ridden grass on land that was felled Amazon forest. We've got lots of very cheap vegetables in supermarkets that were imported from abroad. The real signs of that will be in the run up to Christmas when farmers are under pressure from retailers to cut their prices even further so that people can pay under 50 cent for vegetables.

We should be buying Irish but we aren't allowed to say that anymore. There is also a push from Brussels to end the stickers on products identifying where the country of origin, why? We should buy products grown/farmed domestically whenever possible and not try to mislead consumers into buying food from countries that they might not want to buy from if they knew where it was produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

blueshade wrote: »

We should be buying Irish but we aren't allowed to say that anymore.

Ah we are, there is a whole ad campaign about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Boggles wrote: »
    Ah we are, there is a whole ad campaign about it.

I haven't seen a government Buy Irish campaign for a long time. It's fine for companies to say it but there used to be government advertising encouraging people to do so. Now we can pick up produce that's grown/farmed in other countries packaged in Ireland and labelled as Irish. Our beef and dairy produce is world class and people are happy to pay a premium for it in the countries it's exported to so we shouldn't be importing meat from other countries simply because they or we are part of the EU and they've been guaranteed a percentage of the market. Look for the Board Bia mark is not the same as Buy Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

blueshade wrote: »
    I haven't seen a government Buy Irish campaign for a long time.

Really?

Board Bia have a pretty high profile one running the past couple of years that never seems to be off the telly or social media, you honestly haven't see it?

Anyway we are allowed say buy Irish and we do.

Your comment wasn't based on reality.

There's very little call for reality in farming circles as far as i can tell!

The whole thing basically boils down to "rabble rabble rabble, handout, rabble, up early, rabble rabble, larry goodman is a cúnt, rabble rabble, handout, subsidy, poxy weather, handout, vital, rabble rabble rabble" oh and something to do with pissing all over christmas if we don't pay up pronto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Boggles wrote: »
    Really?

Board Bia have a pretty high profile one running the past couple of years that never seems to be off the telly or social media, you honestly haven't see it?

Anyway we are allowed say buy Irish and we do.

Your comment wasn't based on reality.

Can’t buy Irish as Larry is importing meat and branding it bord bia !

In case anyone is any doubts how corrupt everything is the former ceo of bord bia now runs Larry’s operation in the south !
    Draw ur own conclusions!

As we said before all factories are hostage as he’s only one that can process there waste thanks to Coveney!

Pays no tax , employees foreign labour at minimum wage u can be sure !
    Greed greed and more greed !

• Advertisement

There's very little call for reality in farming circles as far as i can tell!

The whole thing basically boils down to "rabble rabble rabble, handout, rabble, up early, rabble rabble, larry goodman is a cúnt, rabble rabble, handout, subsidy, poxy weather, handout, vital, rabble rabble rabble" oh and something to do with pissing all over christmas if we don't pay up pronto.

And he is a **** , and he’s a **** with
    His greed , controls Galway and Blackrock clinic !
    A lot of prime buildings in city centre rented back to banks !
    2 major developments going on at the moment near merrion square
    The former ceo of bord bia aidan Cotter now manages his operations in the south east !
    Has control of waste from all factories thanks to Coveney !
    The list is endless oh and I forgot there’s no money out of processing beef !

What would we know only whingy farmers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

theguzman wrote: »
    Most farmers I know are awake at 6 or before it, as the saying goes, the day is nearly over when they wake up above in Dublin.

I think that's the assumption that the protesting farmers made about the city. Like you they were way off the mark!
    The city rises very early Guzman!
    I was there at 7am... The farmers were snoring their heads off as the commuters, cyclists, gym bunnies and city workers made their way past them. By the time they woke up half the day was over and they'd missed the minister!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yup i was cycling past the snoozing farmers with a belly full of avocado and quinoa on my way to yoga. Not only farmers rise early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Yup i was cycling past the snoozing farmers with a belly full of avocado and quinoa on my way to yoga. Not only farmers rise early.

Yoga, seriously?
    Farmates do their yoga before they get up.
    Waking hours are for working only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Calhoun wrote: »
    Well then CPO and have it collectively managed, gets away from the small farm stock that are just hanging on and too small for the existing representative groups out there.

Ohhhh.
    Another one of the tough guys going to dispense with property rights and go all medieval on anyone that stands in the way of progress.

BTW the Soviet union fell flat on it's face back in the 80s.
    Break up Larry Goodman's monopoly, he has had the worst effect on rural Ireland since the days of the British Landlords, thousands of farmers backs are to the wall, they can't take no more and what is needed in increased protests against the Government until Goodman's stranglehold on farming is broken.

The only issue is how to dismantle a private entity.
    And even if we can, imagine the amount of dirt and favours that someone can call in to prevent any political movement against them.

How much does a new John Deere tractor cost these days? Just wondered.

Like everything depends on the size.
    I have to admire any group who stand up to Goodman or other big business to try and get better terms for themselves. We're far too passive and let us be walked upon by people who don't expect to be challenged, including and especially the banks who think they're above the law. I don't think either that if you use a couple of hundred acres of land that your farm has any more or less commercial value. Banks would take your kidneys as collateral to claim the interest on loans.

I agree about standing up to Goodman and retail chains, but often the ones found standing up to the banks, and looking for support to do it, were fooking chancers who were greedy and want to dump their debts on others.
    For example remember that stud farm owner in Kildare that was refusing to get off his land, the guy had borrowed massively in order to make himself a little Coolmore.
    Then we had Mr Strokestown who had a long long history of stiffing people out of their money.
    There are a lot of chancers in farming always looking to avoid paying anyone.
    Just ask any contractor.
    Can’t buy Irish as Larry is importing meat and branding it bord bia !

In case anyone is any doubts how corrupt everything is the former ceo of bord bia now runs Larry’s operation in the south !
    Draw ur own conclusions!

As we said before all factories are hostage as he’s only one that can process there waste thanks to Coveney!

Pays no tax , employees foreign labour at minimum wage u can be sure !
    Greed greed and more greed !

Should we remind people of the old horse meat ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

tjhook wrote: »
    Interesting, I hadn't realised that tractor lives are measured in hours, rather than kms,. I think the same applies to aircraft. I suppose maybe on a farm, kms wouldn't be much of an indicator of how intensively the tractor has been used.

Is it an informal count logged by the farmer, or does a modern tractor actually have a dial to display the hours it's been used?

I'm glad I read this thread now :)

No, it has a dial similar to an odometer you'd find in a car. Older tractors often had only 5 digit analogue hour counters, 4 digits for whole hours and one digit for parts of an hour. Once the machine went over 10,000 hours it would roll over to zero again.

While it would be obvious to any buyer that the clock had rolled over and that it wasn't a new machine, there can often be little visual difference between a tractor with 15000 hrs and one with 25000 hrs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

jmayo wrote: »
    Ohhhh.
    Another one of the tough guys going to dispense with property rights and go all medieval on anyone that stands in the way of progress.

BTW the Soviet union fell flat on it's face back in the 80s.

The only issue is how to dismantle a private entity.
    And even if we can, imagine the amount of dirt and favours that someone can call in to prevent any political movement against them.

Like everything depends on the size.

I agree about standing up to Goodman and retail chains, but often the ones found standing up to the banks, and looking for support to do it, were fooking chancers who were greedy and want to dump their debts on others.
    For example remember that stud farm owner in Kildare that was refusing to get off his land, the guy had borrowed massively in order to make himself a little Coolmore.
    Then we had Mr Strokestown who had a long long history of stiffing people out of their money.
    There are a lot of chancers in farming always looking to avoid paying anyone.
    Just ask any contractor.

Should we remind people of the old horse meat ?

Plenty exaggerated their incomes/collateral to get mortgages and I've little dympathy for them if it went tits up. But I can't believe the banks were not knowledgeable about it or that they went through rigourous checks to ensure loanees could pay back loans before they released funds.

Another thing that bothers me about the government and current banks is how they are allowed to incentivise buyers with deals of x% back on drawdown, which the loanee will pay back over the lifetime of the mortgage. It takes a lot of time for people to raise a deposit only for the banks to give them back a few thousand on drawdown? Why are government not advising banks to cut deposit percentage by 1 or 2 when rigourous checks show their loanee is a good bet. Those extra few months getting a bigger deposit together will price them out of a lot of option. Cynically I think we have a passive government in Kildare Street but we are ruled by the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It seems it comes in for processing and goes straight back out of the country! Is it for pet food?

I honestly don't think I've ever bought non-Irish beef in Ireland. I don't believe Bord Bia or Love Irish Food would label non-Irish beef as Irish.

It's important to remember that a lot of the people the protest affects are very fussy about buying Irish produce. Everyone in my large circle of family and friends will go to extra lengths to buy Irish. Last month Dunnes Stores was the only retailer selling Irish Apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

There is massive ill-feeling growing in rural Ireland towards Dublin in recent times, every job located there, no rural investment, pontificating about climate change etc. It will take very little to start a massive series Protests whereby Farmers and Rural people will protest against the elite in Dublin, similar to Brexit where Rural England stood up to the London Elite our very own Rural V Urban conflict is looming large.
    There's been massive ill-feeling in rural Ireland for decades.

What's absent is any actually coherent strategy. Because rural politics has dominated our national politics since independence but, despite that, failed to halt urbanisation.

Rural electrification was meant to be a saviour. Apparently, we might as well not have bothered. We joined the EU to get money for farmers, even though it decimated many of our industries at the time. And they still mostly sell to the UK. We kept low demand services like rural post offices and one teacher schools open, for long after their sell-by date. Didn't change the story.

Rural advocacy has just run out of steam. Sure, they can protest. But the main outcome of the recent protest is just to demonstrate how incoherent these demands are. Like, Irish beef farmers on the edge of Brexit not talking about getting into some other sector, but expecting their incomes will increase just because they want them to.

And showing a complete ignorance of the country they live in, and their role in it. Virtually all their product is exported, yet they talk as if they are supply all our food.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It seems it comes in for processing and goes straight back out of the country! Is it for pet food?

I honestly don't think I've ever bought non-Irish beef in Ireland. I don't believe Bord Bia or Love Irish Food would label non-Irish beef as Irish.

It's important to remember that a lot of the people the protest affects are very fussy about buying Irish produce. Everyone in my large circle of family and friends will go to extra lengths to buy Irish. Last month Dunnes Stores was the only retailer selling Irish Apples.

Many thanks for supporting Irish unfortunately I can’t put my hand on my heart and say that it is , doubt bord bia can either !
    They only ever inspect a factory , there not there on a full time basis
    Add factories approved in Belgium Uk France for bord bia u can see it’s open to abuse !
    Take an example of cloning cars 2 cars exist one identify but 2 cars have to remain on the road for it to work !
    Cloning of 2 cattle , cut up different cuts moved to 10 different places untraceable really !
    Bar u brought every package labelled together in one place and weighed it !
    Which won’t happen !

• Advertisement

Balf wrote: »
    There's been massive ill-feeling in rural Ireland for decades.

What's absent is any actually coherent strategy. Because rural politics has dominated our national politics since independence but, despite that, failed to halt urbanisation.

Rural electrification was meant to be a saviour. Apparently, we might as well not have bothered. We joined the EU to get money for farmers, even though it decimated many of our industries at the time. And they still mostly sell to the UK. We kept low demand services like rural post offices and one teacher schools open, for long after their sell-by date. Didn't change the story.

Rural advocacy has just run out of steam. Sure, they can protest. But the main outcome of the recent protest is just to demonstrate how incoherent these demands are. Like, Irish beef farmers on the edge of Brexit not talking about getting into some other sector, but expecting their incomes will increase just because they want them to.

And showing a complete ignorance of the country they live in, and their role in it. Virtually all their product is exported, yet they talk as if they are supply all our food.

Exported ! There importing it at the moment to create back log not to kill cattle!
    Now it’s a favour u have to ask the factories to get them killed ! How can u negotiate a price working that way
    They have to be killed to give them a grade to determine price !
    Ur at there discretion and when u see the dishonesty , simply can’t work
    These same factories recieve every grant and funding to put them in place ! expansion upgrades all covered !

And still they choose to abuse producer , consumers , and the general upstanding of right and wrong for greed

There must be an election coming, nonetheless, the protests seem to have made their mark.
    https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/climate-shaming-of-farmers-needs-to-stop-taoiseach-says-38739278.html

There must be an election coming, nonetheless, the protests seem to have made their mark.
    https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/climate-shaming-of-farmers-needs-to-stop-taoiseach-says-38739278.html
    Doubt he's backing the right horse.

If we let agriculture off the hook, it means big costs elsewhere. Just so subsidised part time farmers can continue to sell beef at a loss to UK supermarkets.

Not feeling it.

Doubt he's backing the right horse.

If we let agriculture off the hook, it means big costs elsewhere. Just so subsidised part time farmers can continue to sell beef at a loss to UK supermarkets.

Not feeling it.

He's backing no horse. He'll tell us tomorrow he's backing cupcake makers that get up early to post on Twitter before they go to work. He thinks social media will decide the election. He is mistaken.

And still they choose to abuse producer , consumers , and the general upstanding of right and wrong for greed

Except they aren't really abusing consumers are they? Consumers are getting a good deal, a much better deal than we'd be getting if you had your own way, and in fact a deal which you and your pals would like to see scuppered, so as to feather your own nests that bit better.

You have some nerve to complain about greed, whilst throwing a tantrum and threatening all sorts if your demands to be paid above the odds aren't met. You are all deluded!

He's backing no horse. He'll tell us tomorrow he's backing cupcake makers that get up early to post on Twitter before they go to work. He thinks social media will decide the election. He is mistaken.

If it does then it won't be in his or this govts favour.
    I've never seen such a vicious anti Govt campaign so widespread before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

His only shouting for attention, I wouldn't believe what his saying. I'm not saying his totally wrong but his just mouthing.

Have you ever been on a farm or in a meat factory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Clock is ticking down to the next protest

I don’t think much progress has been made in the meantime but maybe others can enlighten me

• Advertisement

Clock is ticking down to the next protest

I don’t think much progress has been made in the meantime but maybe others can enlighten me

The injunctions against the farmers at c&d in edgworthstown have been lifted, one of the key fringe demands.
    I think negotiations are now ongoing and they won't protest while these are active.

More nonsense.

Farmers blockade Aldi distribution centre over beef prices

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1205/1097123-farmers-protest-beef/

Irish beef is mostly produced for export. Overwhelmingly, in fact - like 85% or 90%.

So if Irish farmers want to produce for the UK market, why are they disrupting the supply of food that Irish people actually need to eat? It has next to nothing to do with them.

I swear, if there's an empty shelf when I shop in Aldi tonight because of these eejits, I'm taking it personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

More nonsense.

Irish beef is mostly produced for export. Overwhelmingly, in fact - like 85% or 90%.

So if Irish farmers want to produce for the UK market, why are they disrupting the supply of food that Irish people actually need to eat? It has next to nothing to do with them.

I swear, if there's an empty shelf when I shop in Aldi tonight because of these eejits, I'm taking it personal.

They seem to think that attacking the Irish public will endear people to them.

More nonsense.

This is the IFA, they didn't take part in or sanction the Dublin protest.
    Given their recent problems and trying to rebuild trust among farmers and stay relative.
    The more militant ones, who were in Dublin still aren't ruling out returning to the capital.

An FG Councillor and beef activist I know well on the radio today, he was one of the people who had the c&d foods injunction lifted on him recently.

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/longford-councillor-warns-farmers-will-protest-dublin-beef-prices-dont-rise/

Why are they inconveniencing Irish citizens when they're business is primarily with other countries?

Why are they inconveniencing Irish citizens when they're business is primarily with other countries?

Well I'd say the farmers primary business is with the meat factories here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well I'd say the farmers primary business is with the meat factories here.

Aldi isn't a meat factory yet afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

For years the farmers have done well out of the system. Their kids were qualifying for third level grants because of dodgy accounting while the kids of farmers labourers paid full whack.
    The sooner the High Court orders come out with severe penalties against the I.F.A. if they continue
    the blockade the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Edgware wrote: »
    For years the farmers have done well out of the system. Their kids were qualifying for third level grants because of dodgy accounting while the kids of farmers labourers paid full whack.
    The sooner the High Court orders come out with severe penalties against the I.F.A. if they continue
    the blockade the better.

Agreed. If this was siptu, impact, unite etc there would be injunctions and possibly fines for secondary picketing. Time to lay down the law equally.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Aldi isn't a meat factory yet afaik.

No, but it supplies cheap Irish beef, bought from the meat factories that they say are underpaying them.
    I can see the point of them blocking it.
    But as I said earlier its, the ifa attempt to stay relative, aldi etc v City centre? Maybe the least amount of ordinary people inconvenienced.

No, but it supplies cheap Irish beef, bought from the meat factories that they say are underpaying them.
    I can see the point of them blocking it.
    Unless you actually go into an Aldi, and notice how little space is accounted for by beef.

Its like fruit growers blocking the place up because they think jam manufacturers should pay them more.

It's almost like they've noticed they can block the factories, and this has pretty much no impact on the food actually arriving on our plates.

If 90% of their product is exported, why concentrate on the 10% that isn't? What % does Aldi account for? Aldi has a 12.5% share of the Irish grocery market.

So maybe Aldi sell 1% of total Irish beef production. Why are they being blocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why are they not being arrested and their tractors impounded??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Why are they not being arrested and their tractors impounded??

I hope that the farmers are as understanding as the consumers/retailers/commuters in Ireland when there is a car(s) parked outside their entrance and they are unable to get a milk tanker or livestock truck in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

I worked in a clothing factory back in late 1980's , I got out and changed career as I could see writing on the wall as we were trying to compete with cheap imports from far east. Blast, why didn't we think of blockading streets and cloths retail outlets to get a higher price for the clothes? I guess we must have thought we were in some sort of a market economy.

The farmers set up cooperatives back in 1950's ( I think), why don't they set up their own meat factory??

And if they do seriously upset consumers supplies of food, a simple facebook campaign would have the public creating a traffic jam outside milk processors and the farmers will be having to dump milk.

This won't end well for farmers if they try to ratchet it up. If they believe in the future of their product they should invest in a farmer owned meat processing plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Apparently they are doing it in Cork tomorrow.

Aldi have a depot in Mitchelstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Apparently they are doing it in Cork tomorrow.

Aldi have a depot in Mitchelstown.

Why are they singling out Aldi? I hope it's not because they might not be seen as home grown as other retailers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

BMurr wrote: »
    Why are they singling out Aldi? I hope it's not because they might not be seen as home grown as other retailers?

I think it's about the 30 month rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Minister Creed has been warned that full scale blockades will take place unless progress is made. I don’t think creed has done much since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

They are dead right. Would anyone here work a 70 hour week for pi$$ all. Or take a 20% pay cut on your wages. We all deserve a fair wage for the work we do and they do as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement