Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

AdrianII wrote: »
    They are dead right. Would anyone here work a 70 hour week for pi$$ all. Or take a 20% pay cut on your wages. We all deserve a fair wage for the work we do and they do as well.

Not so long ago when bus drivers, luas drivers, teachers, nurses etc were on strike, a lot of the mantra around here was, 'they knew what the terms were when they signed up'.

Funny how its a different tune being played when it comes to farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not so long ago when bus drivers, luas drivers, teachers, nurses etc were on strike, a lot of the mantra around here was, 'they knew what the terms were when they signed up'.

Funny how its a different tune being played when it comes to farmers.

They're not on strike, they're protesting at the prices they're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They're not on strike, they're protesting at the prices they're getting.

Correct, they are not on strike. They can't go on strike, they are self employed individual traders.

They are not just protesting, you know where you stand with placards chanting etc.

What they are doing is preventing other people going about their lawful business.

There is only so much of this tactic that will work. It's yet to be seen where this bit of shadow boxing by the IFA will lead Irish farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lostkeys

It is unbelievable how entitled a group the farmers feel

They are the most subsidised group and in reciept of huge amounts of Public Money most of it generated by the Taxpayers of which very few farmers are

Its simply a hangover from our earlier small farm rural base which is not relevant any more

As in any other business if you cant make a profit or survive you get out

We have here a lot of relatively small farmers which can never be efficient demanding that we keep them in business just because they feel they are entitled to a Living

If say 20000 beef farmers produce our beef then they all have to make profit but it cant be done

Then the same amount of beef can be produced by 10000 beef farmers making the whole enterprise way more efficient

Its like me selling Mars bars and my shop is not able to make profit so i just increase the price of mars bars to keep my inefficient business going and the public have to shell out to keep me in my privileged Lifestyle

New Zealand is a country most similar to ours and they have completely overhauled the agriculture industry time for a change here as well

https://www.dailysignal.com/2016/09/22/what-happened-when-new-zealand-got-rid-of-government-subsidies-for-farmers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No business owner is entitled to a "fair wage", they are entitled to what their business can generate. If they can't make a profit perhaps they should get a paye job like most people.

I couldn't run a business at all if the middleman or end user was setting my prices.

I am the one who does that and it is based on my costs and the profit I need to make to go on making that product. I therefore come up with a fair price for the product. If the buyer thinks it is too dear then he/she keeps on trying to find somebody who will sell to them at the right price. Nobody operates a de facto cartel in my business, there are all levels of price and quality available.
    If I am forced to sell my product for less than what it costs for any length of time my bank manager will be wanting to meet with me.

That is what is happening with farmers. The government is allowing meat producers to control the price they will pay across the market so the natural pressure is going to come on government to change that. There isn't any way for a farmer to go elsewhere. Ad they cannot set up their own plants to process meat because the licence to dispose of the waste has been given to one of the biggest, most controlling beef barons in the country...by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

I couldn't run a business at all if the middleman or end user was setting my prices.

I am the one who does that and it is based on my costs and the profit I need to make to go on making that product. I therefore come up with a fair price for the product. If the buyer thinks it is too dear then he/she keeps on trying to find somebody who will sell to them at the right price. Nobody operates a de facto cartel in my business, there are all levels of price and quality available.
    If I am forced to sell my product for less than what it costs for any length of time my bank manager will be wanting to meet with me.

That is what is happening with farmers. The government is allowing meat producers to control the price they will pay across the market so the natural pressure is going to come on government to change that. There isn't any way for a farmer to go elsewhere. Ad they cannot set up their own plants to process meat because the licence to dispose of the waste has been given to one of the biggest, most controlling beef barons in the country...by the government.

I can almost smell the brown envelopes that must have been involved in that licence, why on earth would a government not permit another licence if the applicant met all the necessary criteria. And where were the farmers organisations when that licence was being created., we're their leaders shoving brown
    envelpes into their pockets or enjoying some trip to a 5 star hotel in God knows where? The New Zealand model referred to earlier should be explored.

Yes and if your cost are too high and you want too much profit you go out of business you do not determine the end price the market does and if someone can produce your product and sell it and make profit and you cant then you are not able to compete and get out you as the producer do not determine price if that was the case anyone could make anything and then demand we pay a price to keep it going

lostkeys wrote: »
    Yes and if your cost are too high and you want too much profit you go out of business you do not determine the end price the market does and if someone can produce your product and sell it and make profit and you cant then you are not able to compete and get out you as the producer do not determine price if that was the case anyone could make anything and then demand we pay a price to keep it going

I don't care a damn what the end user is willing to pay, because I am not selling to them. I sell to a middleman - The retailer - who marks it up in the usual way so that they can make a profit on the service they provide.
    I know that the price of my product to the end user is available at different prices to that end user depending on where they buy it.

In farming the producer's costs don't come into it. The middlemen are allowed to set the price(regardless to the COST of production) across the industry so that 'producer' has nowhere else to go.
    That is always going to cause problems when the 'set price' is too low. That is what is happening in a nutshell.

I don't care a damn what the end user is willing to pay, because I am not selling to them. I sell to a middleman - The retailer - who marks it up in the usual way so that they can make a profit on the service they provide.
    I know that the price of my product to the end user is available at different prices to that end user depending on where they buy it.

In farming the producer's costs don't come into it. The middlemen are allowed to set the price(regardless to the COST of production) across the industry so that 'producer' has nowhere else to go.
    That is always going to cause problems when the 'set price' is too low. That is what is happening in a nutshell.

Doesn't everything have a middleman? Surely Colgate doesn't sell directly to supermarket. There will be a Musgrave or similar in between,.

[QUOTE=FrancieBrady;111949910

]I don't care a damn what the end user is willing to pay, because I am not selling to them. I sell to a middleman - The retailer - who marks it up in the usual way so that they can make a profit on the service they provide.

That is always going to cause problems when the 'set price' is too low. That is what is happening in a nutshell.[/QUOTE]

I don't care a damn what the end user is willing to pay

Says it all really

• Advertisement

BMurr wrote: »
    Doesn't everything have a middleman? Surely Colgate doesn't sell directly to supermarket. There will be a Musgrave or similar in between,.

Yes there is. But they are not 'setting the price' the producer gets regardless. And if Musgrave's don't pay the price then there are other places to go and other ways of getting your product to the market.

In beef farming there isn't, the middleman and retailer have been able to construct a market where they control the prices to ensure it is they that make the actual profit.
    I don't see farmers looking for unwarranted profit, they are looking for something approaching a fair price and a fair share of the profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't see farmers looking for unwarranted profit, they are looking for something approaching a fair price and a fair share of the profits.

And if they got that can we assume they would also then accept a drop in the MASSIVE subsidies they currently receive?

lostkeys wrote: »
    I don't care a damn what the end user is willing to pay

Says it all really

I don't because it makes no difference to me.

I don't set my price based on the higher end the end user is willing to apy nor to the lowest price.
    I set my prices based on what it costs me to produce the product and add in profit for sustainability.

VinLieger wrote: »
    And if they got that can we assume they would also then accept a drop in the MASSIVE subsidies they currently receive?

As a member of the EU I understand the need for subsidy across sectors and why they were necessary in the first place. I also understand that you cannot look at one tiny section of the sector and judge the system of subsidy.

It isn't a perfect system and is abused but if you want to get rid of subsidy then you have to be prepared to pay the full costs of the products subsidised.

In simple terms, without Europe wide subsidy a 'tomato' from Spain or Holland could therefore cost you 10e to buy. Who'd be blocking streets in Dublin if that was the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

AdrianII wrote: »
    They are dead right. Would anyone here work a 70 hour week for pi$$ all. Or take a 20% pay cut on your wages. We all deserve a fair wage for the work we do and they do as well.

You’ve convinced me. I’m quitting my job to become a nose flutist. I demand that the government makes people pay the price I set for my albums.

You’ve convinced me. I’m quitting my job to become a nose flutist. I demand that the government makes people pay the price I set for my albums.

In my opinion as a republican and democrat, if the government by action or inaction are interfering in the price you are paid then you have every right to protest.

The government aren't determining the price, it is supply and demand, read a book on economics.

No it isn't. And the government have powers to end what is the operation of a de facto cartel in the Beef industry here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Ad they cannot set up their own plants to process meat because the licence to dispose of the waste has been given to one of the biggest, most controlling beef barons in the country...by the government.
    This is the fig leaf that farmers seem to be clinging on to as justification for their detachment from the reality of their situation.

Can you state the law that says there can only be one holder of a licence to dispose of waste?

If you can't, you are talking nonsense.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Actually what is happening with the farmers is like you deciding you must be paid X for your goods, and then telling the government that they must force all your customers to pay X for your goods.

When your business is unprofitable, the bank will want to see you. When farmers are unprofitable, they get handouts from the taxpayer. Which I am not totally against, because we need food, but it does seem like we are propping up an oversupply of it here (which is causing their prices to drop).

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Actually what is happening with the farmers is like you deciding you must be paid X for your goods, and then telling the government that they must force all your customers to pay X for your goods.

When your business is unprofitable, the bank will want to see you. When farmers are unprofitable, they get handouts from the taxpayer. Which I am not totally against, because we need food, but it does seem like we are propping up an oversupply of it here (which is causing their prices to drop).

I don't see any farmers trying to dictate what the end user should pay.

In any business there is a bottom line. Farmers have been expected to operate below that bottom line for too long so the pressures are showing. It is unsustainable.

If there was a genuine 'oversupply' the middleman would not be in a profit making business.
    Here is just one of those from last year.
    The WBL business recorded a gross profit of €76.12m after cost, from sales totalling €263.48m. Distribution costs of €52.76m and administrative expenses amounting to €19.9m resulted in an operating profit of €3.4m.

According to the directors' report attached to the first set of accounts filed by WBL, "the directors are satisfied with the results for the period and are confident that the group will continue to trade profitably in the coming year".

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/companies/larry-goodman-coowned-meat-processor-records-profits-of-3-12m-38447162.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We need some beef for Ireland, we don't need 85 or 90% of it which is exported. It looks like a saturated market to me. I know it's their livelihood but if it's no longer profitable why should they be propped up by the rest of us? Most of us just can't choose a career and expect to be paid whether it's working for us or not.

I don't see any farmers trying to dictate what the end user should pay.

In any business there is a bottom line. Farmers have been expected to operate below that bottom line for too long so the pressures are showing. It is unsustainable.

If there was a genuine 'oversupply' the middleman would not be in a profit making business.
    Here is just one of those from last year.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/companies/larry-goodman-coowned-meat-processor-records-profits-of-3-12m-38447162.html

That's not really true. The middleman doesn't have an issue, it's the guy trying to sell his beef to the middleman that is losing out because the market is flooded with beef.

Almost all our beef is exported, the factories have a much wider range of markets available to them to offload their product than the farmers themselves, who obviously are not in the business of shipping live cattle overseas for slaughter.

That's not really true. The middleman doesn't have an issue, it's the guy trying to sell his beef to the middleman that is losing out because the market is flooded with beef.

Almost all our beef is exported, the factories have a much wider range of markets available to them to offload their product than the farmers themselves, who obviously are not in the business of shipping live cattle overseas for slaughter.

So the middleman is trying to force the producer to sell his product at an unsustainable price.

If you think that the producer should not be allowed to object to that, fair enough.

In my world, he who makes the product has to be looked after, be sustainable or everything that comes after that crumbles and falls.
    If I thought the farmers were making extortionate claims, my view would be different, but it is clear they are in an unsustainable position here.

So the middleman is trying to force the producer to sell his product at an unsustainable price.

If you think that the producer should not be allowed to object to that, fair enough.

In my world, he who makes the product has to be looked after, be sustainable or everything that comes after that crumbles and falls.
    If I thought the farmers were making extortionate claims, my view would be different, but it is clear they are in an unsustainable position here.

Oh I agree they are in an unsustainable position, but I think a very large part of the problem is we just produce too much beef.

The middleman isn't really forcing anything. The middleman has such an abundance of product to choose from that they have a very strong hand when it comes to negotiating price.

Oh I agree they are in an unsustainable position, but I think a very large part of the problem is we just produce too much beef.

The middleman isn't really forcing anything. The middleman has such an abundance of product to choose from that they have a very strong hand when it comes to negotiating price.

The cartel nature of the industry gives the middleman the upper hand though. It is a case of take 'our' (Our being the entire industry here) price or else.

• Advertisement

A cartels tend to want to keep prices higher not lower, if anything the farmers are acting as a cartel to charge their customers higher prices.

Not going to go much further here in the back and forth.

Suffice to say, if any other sector in this country was being forced to basically go broke while somebody else is making profit because they have broken them, then there would eventually be the same explosion of protest and anger. And rightly so IMO.

Nothing stopping the farmers from refusing to sell to the middleman. No meat to process, no profit for the middleman.

Nothing stopping the farmers from refusing to sell to the middleman. No meat to process, no profit for the middleman.

Well they tried that, got some action and the industry quickly responded with injunctions because they faced losing some money/profit.

By the way, try and understand farming, it isn't as simple as just holding on to Flora the heifer and the processors are well aware of this as well.

Well they tried that, got some action and the industry quickly responded with injunctions because they faced losing some money/profit.

By the way, try and understand farming, it isn't as simple as just holding on to Flora the heifer and the processors are well aware of this as well.

They tried not selling to the middleman and got injunctions?? When was this??

They tried not selling to the middleman and got injunctions?? When was this??

To me, they showed very clearly what would happen if the middlemen had no supply. The chain grinds to a halt. They made an effective point very quickly and efficiently - that unless they were prepared to produce and supply first, then no middleman exists, nor retailer.
    They are justified in my opinion in seeking a fair price for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The quietest person of all in this whole debate about beef prices is Larry Goodman, followed closely by the Purcells. It's been going on for months yet not a sound out of them. They control the prices and must be satisfied with how their minions are handling the situation. I'll bet you, if it was affecting Larry's pocket, then you'd see action. Picketing Aldi is a waste of time; blocking Dublin streets is a waste of time. That's not having the slightest effect on beef prices at the counter or for the farmer at the mart or factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 memyself33

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1206/1097365-farmers-protest-cork/
    In a statement, the company, owned and controlled byLarry Goodman, said there had been indications earlier this week that a market price increase was coming, and that this week's blockades by farmers and the Irish Farmers' Association were "needless and irresponsible".

That gave me a good belly chuckle. The market to the rescue!

Nobody seems to notice or indeed care that the market is whatever price Larry maith-an-Fear decides it to be.

Well fair play to you, if you like flutes stuck up your nose, go for it.
    I'll stand on the protest line with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Looks like ABP are prepared to move a bit on price I heard on the news earlier on.

Don't agree with them targeting Lidl and Aldi depots though, the amount of beef both these retailers buy is minuscule and it's preventing food getting to the shops and costing hauliers a days pay when trucks are just sitting there not able to get in or out of the warehouse.

We need some beef for Ireland, we don't need 85 or 90% of it which is exported. It looks like a saturated market to me. I know it's their livelihood but if it's no longer profitable why should they be propped up by the rest of us? Most of us just can't choose a career and expect to be paid whether it's working for us or not.

Have a look at the Irish economy, check our export figures, why do we overproduce anything we need?
    We bring in multinational companies and give them ridiculously low tax rates, we even are defending one of them in the European courts ove a 13 billon odd tax bill or something like that.
    We as a nation are dependent on our exports and multinationals as we aren't self sufficient or big enough to generate the capital needed to keep our country going ourselves.

Looks like ABP are prepared to move a bit on price I heard on the news earlier on.

Don't agree with them targeting Lidl and Aldi depots though, the amount of beef both these retailers buy is minuscule and it's preventing food getting to the shops and costing hauliers a days pay when trucks are just sitting there not able to get in or out of the warehouse.

The IFA lady was asked about the truckers on RTE news and she said "nobody is paying me to be here today" and "the lorry drivers will get paid at the end of the week".

Bit of a disconnect there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

elperello wrote: »
    The IFA lady was asked about the truckers on RTE news and she said "nobody is paying me to be here today" and "the lorry drivers will get paid at the end of the week".

Bit of a disconnect there.

Does she not realise that hauliers have a lot of overheads and while the driver will get his wages the owner made nothing today with a truck parked up all day,

Very selfish attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to the farmers this “urban cowboy” backs you 1000% even if it means a meagre hungry Christmas.

Does she not realise that hauliers have a lot of overheads and while the driver will get his wages the owner made nothing today with a truck parked up all day,

Very selfish attitude.

Exactly, in normal commerce cash does not magic up from nowhere.
    While the farmers have a case to make these tactics may well turn out to be a double edged sword.

Very selfish attitude.

Hauliers would never do such a thing themselves!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1020/653448-truck-protest/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play to the farmers this “urban cowboy” backs you 1000% even if it means a meagre hungry Christmas.

Fair play to them , it worked.

The stick they got from a couple of Dublin important types here, a week ago, because they couldn't get home in time for their tofu and I'm a celebrity, was pathetic.

Direct action. Stick it to them - after one day they got a result with AlDI/LIDL.

As one farmer put it well , they are advertising saving for Irish families at our expense.

I'm a pure Dub..

So you’re saying that 85-90% of the beef produced in Ireland is exported ?

Then why does Ireland import beef ?

So the tax payer are subsidising an industry to export beef, for top dollar, but import beef from a different country to sell to that very same tax payer in Ireland ?

That can’t be right.

I thought all beef consumed in Ireland was locally reared ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

The Irish beef is a far higher quality than anything we import. Not a reason we subsidise it now, not saying that, but a lot of the cheaper imported beef is cheaper for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Very selfish attitude.

the blockade outside ALDI was a political stunt by the IFA who fear loosing authority , the rebel group " BEEF PLAN " had no connection to IFA and set new standards of protest in the past year with the factory blockades and the dublin city centre protest , all of which alarmed the IFA

the ALDI stunt was all about the IFA trying to win back some lost ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the farmers have heart and spirit but they are going to have to accept that no business is operating at the same scale of output as was the case thirty years ago , a forty acre farm with a dozen or so cows rearing calves and a handful of sheep is simply too small in scale to be viable even larry goodman was paying 4.50 per kg instead of 3.50 , that kind of scale requires tax payer funded subsidies in order to stay afloat , that most have a job as well if irrelevant , many PAYE workers have hobbies as well but dont get subsidies for the six hours per week they spend on the golf course or wherever

there are simply far too many farmers in this country , trying to keep them all afloat is like trying to stop the tide coming in with a bucket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Fair play to them , it worked.

The stick they got from a couple of Dublin important types here, a week ago, because they couldn't get home in time for their tofu and I'm a celebrity, was pathetic.

Direct action. Stick it to them - after one day they got a result with AlDI/LIDL.

As one farmer put it well , they are advertising saving for Irish families at our expense.

I'm a pure Dub..

Did they? The price rise they thought they "won with the blockade" was coming anyway. To be honest, it looks like a political stunt on behalf of the IFA who needed to be seen to be doing something as their thunder was definitely being stolen by Beef Plan and the other direct action farming protest groups.

So you’re saying that 85-90% of the beef produced in Ireland is exported ?

Then why does Ireland import beef ?

So the tax payer are subsidising an industry to export beef, for top dollar, but import beef from a different country to sell to that very same tax payer in Ireland ?

That can’t be right.

I thought all beef consumed in Ireland was locally reared ?

Beef can be imported easily from any EU country.
    Imported beef is used in the catering trade and in food production facilities.
    If you are in doubt about the source ask.

You will find that most beef sold in retail outlets is indeed Irish. Look for the Bord Bia logo and Irish flag. Some imported beef may be sold retail and Bord Bia approved for quality but cannot have the flag on it.

Did they? The price rise they thought they "won with the blockade" was coming anyway. To be honest, it looks like a political stunt on behalf of the IFA who needed to be seen to be doing something as their thunder was definitely being stolen by Beef Plan and the other direct action farming protest groups.

Exactly.

All the workers and business'es that were inconvenienced and/or lost money over the Lidl/Aldi blockades were just bit part actors in the IFA's little drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is it true Lidl/Alid were chosen as one of the lads running for IFA president is on the board of Supervalu?

Very irish if true.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is it true Lidl/Alid were chosen as one of the lads running for IFA president is on the board of Supervalu?

Very irish if true.

Flipping hell, if that were true it would in essence be supervalu picketing Aldi

Advertisement