Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Peaceful protest

Is "peaceful protest" agricultural use of a vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

elperello wrote: »
    Is "peaceful protest" agricultural use of a vehicle?

They need to ramp it up elp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Allinall wrote: »
    On public roads?

I don’t think so.

Of course on public roads, how do you think they draw silage and turf etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Of course on public roads, how do you think they draw silage and turf etc.

When they get to the gate of a field they change the diesel from green to white.......then back from white to green going back onto the farm

They need to ramp it up elp

I fully understand that but we are talking about green diesel here.

whelan2 wrote: »
    When they get to the gate of a field they change the diesel from green to white.......then back from white to green going back onto the farm

Very good but you know why farmers enjoy the reduced price diesel and it is a support for agricultural use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

On public roads?

I don’t think so.

Think again

you obviously haven't a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

orm0nd wrote: »
    Think again

you obviously haven't a clue

If customs dip a tractor on Stephen’s Green and find green diesel, the owner is looking at a €2,500 fine.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/22/4168068-fresh-mayo-clampdown-on-green-diesel-use/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I've never hear of a farmer being prosecuted for marked gas oil in a ractor, I don't think the above article is about tractors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If customs dip a tractor on Stephen’s Green and find green diesel, the owner is looking at a €2,500 fine.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/01/22/4168068-fresh-mayo-clampdown-on-green-diesel-use/
    As somebody else said, you don't know what you are talking about.
    the concession seems
    to apply only to “non-road mobile” machinery including, for instance, tractors.
    The actual legislation dealing with the use of marked fuel oil, also known as
    MGO, suggests it is an offence to have marked fuel oil in any motor vehicles designed, constructed or modified to be suitable for use on roads, with the exception of tractors, road rollers, cranes, o-road dumpers, mobile well drilling
    equipment, or mobile concrete pumping equipment.
    If we examine the differences between Revenue’s guidance and the actual legislation, we can see that the legislation allows for the use of MGO in tractors regardless of whether they are road mobile or not.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner-farming/20190704/281655371627632

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they all drive nice big tractors...they can't all being doing badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

fryup wrote: »

I am sure most of them aren't paid for and not ALL farmers drive big tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

They also have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in. And in these sheds they have 20ft high chickens!

I am sure most of them aren't paid for and not ALL farmers drive big tractors

True, but the farmer's tractor must be paid for out of the profit from the enterprise.

Having said that most of the really big tractors are run by contractors anyway so all is not as it seems.

The farmers need to ramp this up from now until Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What will that achieve?

As you said before.
    What sort of ramp up did you have in mind.
    They have already brought half of Dublin to a standstill.
    How much more of this before they provoke a backlash that will outweigh any gain in price?

elperello wrote: »
    As you said before.
    What sort of ramp up did you have in mind.
    They have already brought half of Dublin to a standstill.
    How much more of this before they provoke a backlash that will outweigh any gain in price?

I’m an outlier but I’d be fine with them breaking the food supply chain until they get their deserved prices guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hunger strike ?

hunger strike ?

Once they Bring to bear their considerable influence.

• Advertisement

I’m an outlier but I’d be fine with them breaking the food supply chain until they get their deserved prices guaranteed.

An outlier - you said it yourself.

Good job you are not in charge of the strategy such as it is.
    You seriously want them to starve their fellow citizens into submission.
    Never mind that they need to move cattle on or else face even more losses.

Only hope now is that the newly crowned T Cullinan will get stuck in and sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yeah , make ordinary working Dublin people suffer, who are also trying to make a living, for something that is nothing to do with them - take the ****ing issue to whoever you have the issue with - not ordinary Dubliners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

thebaz wrote: »
    Yeah , make ordinary working Dublin people suffer, who are also trying to make a living, for something that is nothing to do with them - take the ****ing issue to whoever you have the issue with - not ordinary Dubliners.

One of the disadvantages of living in the centre of power sadly. But you have plenty of advantages too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thebaz wrote: »

ordinary working dublin people are not being made to suffer, they are potentially being inconvenienced by a protest for which they can plan around, the same as anyone else when we know something is happening that may effect our original plans or routes. i'm sorry, but if you want to talk about people suffering then there are actual people suffering around the world due to various issues, even here in ireland. but being inconvenienced by a protest is not one of those issues that cause actual suffering in reality as much as it might be a bit annoying.
    protesting causes disruption, that's just life, it's generally for the greater good and is a vital part of democracy.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I don’t agree with these protests being brought to Dublin! first one maybe but it’s just turning into a farce !
    From blockades of factories to distributors, going on 3/4 months and no result not one !
    Leo was quick to jump to child crèche defence yesterday with A super tax on insurance companies if they don’t play ball !
    Yet Leo is well prepared to let our beef baron get away with paying no tax , and leading to this situation that’s having effect on everyone in this country!
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

They should be baton charged off the streets and have their tractors impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Do not believe these splinter groups whatever their grievances are should be able to cause such disruption to the general public. No problem with a major protest for a cause but blocking the city in parts and wasting police time for small groups like this is not on .Also what do they really think they are going to achieve by this carry on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I didn't notice any issues on bus today, also work beside merrion square and saw no one is it still going on today?

Fully behind the farmers

Keep it up

Ramp it up!!

The public are behind you
    Are the public really behind them though? I think in principle most people are....but when your commute home is a nightmare because of them...I think they have lost support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gmisk wrote: »
    I didn't notice any issues on bus today, also work beside merrion square and saw no one is it still going on today?

I hear they were ran outa town during the night, but ''they'll be back''

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If they carry out their threat and there is "no food in Dublin this Christmas" we can just eat farmers instead.

wrangler wrote: »
    I hear they were ran outa town during the night, but ''they'll be back''
    Hasta la Vista!

If they carry out their threat and there is "no food in Dublin this Christmas" we can just eat farmers instead.
    They wouldn't taste nice...too bitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

so, on the one hand they are saying "sorry" to the public for the disruption, but on the other hand their whole threat is to take away produce from normal peoples christmas tables?

these animals should be rounded up, slaughtered and served up with a nice gravy themselves.

pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

ordinary working dublin people are not being made to suffer, they are potentially being inconvenienced by a protest for which they can plan around, the same as anyone else when we know something is happening that may effect our original plans or routes. i'm sorry, but if you want to talk about people suffering then there are actual people suffering around the world due to various issues, even here in ireland. but being inconvenienced by a protest is not one of those issues that cause actual suffering in reality as much as it might be a bit annoying.
    protesting causes disruption, that's just life, it's generally for the greater good and is a vital part of democracy.

Tell that to the people trying to visit any of the 3 major hospitals in the Dublin city centre , yesterday evening I saw two Ambulance's and a fire engine stuck in chaotic traffic but sure it's grand they're only dubs ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thatas right. Unless you are one of Slabs customers where one size fit all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

so, on the one hand they are saying "sorry" to the public for the disruption, but on the other hand their whole threat is to take away produce from normal peoples christmas tables?
    Empty threat. The beef these guys produce is overwhelmingly for export.

The food on our tables - and their's, ironically, - is frequently imported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Maybe Simon Coveney could step in and act as go between for the beef farmers and the beef processor(s) to try get a better deal for farmers :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

jmayo wrote: »
    Maybe Simon Coveney could step in and act as go between for the beef farmers and the beef processor(s) to try get a better deal for farmers :rolleyes:
    Because a better deal for the taxpayer and the customer is out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Balf wrote: »
    Because a better deal for the taxpayer and the customer is out of the question.

Two things

They could certainly join the protest

Farmers are also taxpayers and customers

why do the farmers think that they are so important though?
    we can import all our food for cheaper, and fvck them. they're private businesses, and by the very nature of "private businesses" you take a risk by starting one up.

if farming is dying out, then so be it. there's plenty of other sources for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

we can import all our food for cheaper, and fvck them. they're private businesses, and by the very nature of "private businesses" you take a risk by starting one up.

if farming is dying out, then so be it. there's plenty of other sources for food.

As I said previously if they only let farmers use hormones and Angel dust then we could give you cheaper meat. Tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Agri food Industry is being kept alive by the underpaid farmer.
    Tourists come here to see our green country managed by the underpaid farmer.
    Machinery industry.
    Most towns and small businesses are kept alive by the underpaid farmer.

feartuath wrote: »
    Agri food Industry is being kept alive by the underpaid farmer.
    Machinery industry.
    Most towns and small businesses are kept alive by the underpaid farmer.

for what reason though? so tourists can look at our greenery?
    nobody wants what they are selling, most of the food eaten in ireland in import anyway, and the farmers took a risk by being farmers in a private business in the first place.

they should be let to rise or fall individually.
    nobody agrees with their protests, nobody wants them clogging up the streets and nobody cares about their private businesses.

they bleat and moan about how hard they have it - getting up early and the lifestyle of it being "every day" and poor me etc... nobody asked them to do it, they decided at free will to become farmers, knowing the conditions of work and knowing that the pay doesnt reflect the hours put in.
    why would anyone choose that lifestyle?

it's pure greed driving their protest. they want to be millionaires, but they never will be, so give it up lads. nobody wants your moaning or your overpriced dead animals

Annd9 wrote: »
    Tell that to the people trying to visit any of the 3 major hospitals in the Dublin city centre , yesterday evening I saw two Ambulance's and a fire engine stuck in chaotic traffic but sure it's grand they're only dubs ....

lots of things can cause traffic issues and unfortunately can cause emergency services to get stuck the odd time.
    the way to deal with that issue is to force as much car traffic out of the city as possible.
    if one agrees with protesting then they have to accept that disruption may be caused.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

they don't.
    we can import all our food for cheaper, and fvck them.

well, whether we can import our food for cheaper or not, unless it's from another EU nation, then the quality may not be to the same standards.
    not to mention that relying on imports alone is certainly not a good strategy as supply chains can dry up, and if for whatever reasons importing becomes problematic we have nothing to fall back on. at least while the irish farmers are producing, we have a fallback.
    they're private businesses, and by the very nature of "private businesses" you take a risk by starting one up.

that's ultimately irrelevant to what is going on here.
    if farming is dying out, then so be it.

it's not dying out, so not so be it.
    there's plenty of other sources for food.

which cannot wholey be relied on for our food.
    as i said, simply importing alone is not a viable strategy, both due to quality depending on the source, and the risks of relying on being an import only nation for food, for which is risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

feartuath wrote: »
    Machinery industry.

If we didn't farm every inch of land on the island they'd have far more to look at. It's basically one giant cattle farm.

for what reason though? so tourists can look at our greenery?

to benefit our economy, to keep another supply chain open. to bring in revenue to businesses which in turn pay tax which in turn bring in money.
    nobody wants what they are selling,

the fact it is being bought says otherwise.
    if nobody wanted what they are selling then they wouldn't be producing at all and nobody would be bying it.
    they are producing, and the produce is being bought.
    most of the food eaten in ireland in import anyway, and the farmers took a risk by being farmers in a private business in the first place.

again, the fact they took a risk of being a private business has no relevance here and to what is going on.
    it's essentially nothing more then a meaningless soundbite.
    they should be let to rise or fall individually.

they are.
    nobody agrees with their protests, nobody wants them clogging up the streets and nobody cares about their private businesses.

presumably you have done a survey to show this to be the case?
    is it online by any chance? i wouldn't mind seeing the results for myself, or if it is still available to do, i wouldn't mind doing it if that is possible. thanks.

they bleat and moan about how hard they have it - getting up early and the lifestyle of it being "every day" and poor me etc...

no different to a number of others in this country.
    nobody asked them to do it, they decided at free will to become farmers, knowing the conditions of work and knowing that the pay doesnt reflect the hours put in.

there is a difference between the pay not reflecting something, and possibly not being paid for the amount of stuff you give to someone, which seems to be what is going on here.
    why would anyone choose that lifestyle?

why does anyone choose any lifestyle?
    it's pure greed driving their protest.

is it?
    they want to be millionaires, but they never will be, so give it up lads.

everyone wants to be a millionair. nothing wrong with that. however the farmers, and the rest of us, aren't expecting to be one, so not give it up lads.
    nobody wants your moaning or your overpriced dead animals

the fact that their very cheap dead animals are being sold says that they are wanted.
    oh dear, more swings and misses i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

nobody wants what they are selling, most of the food eaten in ireland in import anyway, and the farmers took a risk by being farmers in a private business in the first place

30,000 head of cattle killed weekly says otherwise

• Advertisement
Advertisement