Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

We're not going to have a meaningful debate about farming and climate change until someone puts serious thought into how we (as a country and society) deal with the 180,000 odd people that would be left destitute if agriculture on this island collapses.

How the hell can you expect someone who needs to sell beef to feed his family, to support the development of lab grown meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

onrail wrote: »
    We're not going to have a meaningful debate about farming and climate change until someone puts serious thought into how we (as a country and society) deal with the 180,000 odd people that would be left destitute if agriculture on this island collapses.

How the hell can you expect someone who needs to sell beef to feed his family, to support the development of lab grown meat.

You can't. But like coal mining and other industries of the past, it's time may be up sooner or later. People will lose jobs, but sure sh*t happens, we'll be fine.
    Anyway, I seriously doubt anything will change in our lifetimes, Ireland is a giant cattle farm and wont be changing any time soon.
    I like George Monbiot but he lives in fantasy land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The problem is easily solved

Currently if farmers plant their land in trees, they get paid a tax free subsidy for fifteen years, pay them for the life of the tree ( 30 years plus) and many will give up rearing cattle

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Currently if farmers plant their land in trees, they get paid a tax free subsidy for fifteen years, pay them for the life of the tree ( 30 years plus) and many will give up rearing cattle

Where does the money come from to pay them for this? I can't see that being viable - anyone with land can just not work if they plant some trees?

That's grand in theory, but at what stage of covering the 50-60% of grassland in this country in trees does that stop becoming economically sustainable?

• Advertisement

You can't. But like coal mining and other industries of the past, it's time may be up sooner or later. People will lose jobs, but sure sh*t happens, we'll be fine.
    Anyway, I seriously doubt anything will change in our lifetimes, Ireland is a giant cattle farm and wont be changing any time soon.
    I like George Monbiot but he lives in fantasy land.

Yep, the coal mining went bust in the UK, heavy industry went bust in the US.

Deprivation and rising inequality followed concentrated in the North (UK) and the rust belt (US).

Then we had the rise of the far-right...Brexit...Trump.

Is that the type of country you want Ireland to become in 20 years?

Sh*t happens indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Did any of our farming brethren happen to catch the show on channel 4 last night, Apocalypse Cow?
    Some very interesting viewing regarding the incredible amount of damage the farming industry does to the earth and how woefully inefficient it is.For example 50% of the land of the UK is given over to rearing and grazing animals which account for 1% of calories consumed (1% figure sounds a bit low to me but that's what they quoted) .Worldwide 50% of crops go to feeding animals. The damage being done to the soil and waterways is incredible and we are effectively paying people to do this. They reckon the carbon footprint of 4KG of beef is the same as a return flight to New York.
    One ray of hope is that there is some really impressive looking technology coming down the tracks which hopefully means farmings days are drawing to an end.
    Sooner the better if you ask me!

And you believe that crap?.

The programme was on Channel 4 which funnily enough is recieving significant funding from the plant food industry.

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2019/09/23/Channel-4-invests-in-plant-based-food

The programme itself was delivered by none other than George Monbiot - a radical vegan who once helped set up an alternative green party in the UK because the greens weren't radical enough. He believes that the world renowned landscapes such as the Lake District National Park in the UK are an abomination.

Some people do seem to be obsessed with cows for sure but its not just cows Monbiot is after either - he wants everyone to be vegan / plant based as do those companies flogging highly processed crap.

He certainly not viewed positively by all
    https://mronline.org/2018/01/18/monbiot-is-a-hypocrite-and-a-bully/

What's this **** about land use? Should agriculture take place In a window box perhaps?

The topography , climate and soils dictates that much of the agricultural land in the UK and Ireland is not suitable for arable or horticultural production. And some reckon we should jack it all in because George Monbriot doesnt like it? Grand so.

That carbon foot print thing regarding a flight to New York vs beef has been shown to be complete and utter bogwash - much like the rest of the 'facts' presented in that programne.

That said I have no problem if anyone wishes to give up eating btw ...

You can grow many types of veg in Ireland. 40% of Irish Veg is grown in North County Dublin alone. It just shows how much land is given to cows that are exported.

Seriously Thelonious - you seem to spend 95% of your time on boards attempting to do a hatchet job on Irish agriculture and rural areas in general - yet you live in the city and seem to know nothing about the subject of agriculture. What gives?

There are three traditional areas of commercial vegetable growing in Ireland. Two of these are based on the east east and occupy land with suitable light sandy type soils. A soil type which has a very limited extent in this country.

As explained many many many times in reply to the continuous agriculture bashing - the majority of soils coupled with difficult topography means that the majority are not suited to commercial horticultural type production. It's really not that difficult to understand is it?
    I think he was talking about sheep.
    "23m sheep occupy much of the UK. Well, they provide just over 1% of our food, in terms of calories.”Total av consumption of lamb + mutton in UK is 5.0kg per person per year or 1% of calories.
    Yet sheep are the reason there are no trees on our uplands here and in Britain.

Where do you get that information from? The back of a cornflakes packet?

There are a number of reasons why there are no trees in upland areas here and it has nothing to do with sheep.

The first is what is known as the altitudinal tree line, i.e. above c.500 m where extensive gree growth is naturally not viable.

The second is that in the 17th and 18th centuries- the population of Ireland was almost double of what it is today and subsistence agriculture meant that many upland areas were cleared of any remaining vegetation by poor people seeking out a very meager existence.

The third is that many uplands in Ireland have never supported native forestry - mainly due to blanket bog and poor drainage of many of these areas.

I can only deduce we have been infiltrated by Russian bots or something with the amount of misinformation and disinformation generally being repeated regarding agriculture - but hey I wouldnt be surprised either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Where does the money come from to pay them for this? I can't see that being viable - anyone with land can just not work if they plant some trees?

We currently pay them subsidies to damage the environment with cattle

We currently pay them subsidies to damage the environment with cattle

city-folks-are-like-cattle-are-ruining-the-planet-ya-7376270.png

Who is them and we btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yep, the coal mining went bust in the UK, heavy industry went bust in the US.

Deprivation and rising inequality followed concentrated in the North (UK) and the rust belt (US).

Then we had the rise of the far-right...Brexit...Trump.

Is that the type of country you want Ireland to become in 20 years?

Sh*t happens indeed.

Lot's of jobs and industries come and go, it's just the natural way,
    There's not a farming gene which prohibits farmers and their offspring from doing anything else for a living.

Industrialisation was going to take all the jobs, computers would take them all, robots would have every last job and we'd all starve, AI is going to see us all unemployed. This shít has to end - times change, and that's just it - you can't live in the past. You don't see too many coopers wanted adds on linkedin do you - the world went on!

gozunda wrote: »
    And you believe that crap?.

I do and i don't. It looks to me like a glimpse of things to come, but i don't see it happening any time soon. But i think sheer necessity will see it start to creep in in some form or other and then once people get used to it and businesses see they can make money from it, the slow steady decline in traditional farming is inevitable i think.

The programme itself was delivered by none other than George Monbiot - a radical vegan who once helped set up an alternative green party in the UK because the greens weren't radical enough. He believes that the world renowned landscapes such as the Lake District National Park in the UK are an abomination.

He actually mentioned that in the show, and to be fair i think he has a very good point. I've never been to the lake district but it certainly looks amazing from what i've seen on tv etc, but his point was that you are actually admiring is the topography - the place should be teaming with all manner of plant and animal life, similar to the amazon. But all there really is, is grass and sheep.

Possibly in another few generations the amazon will just be grass and cows - it will possibly still look nice, but it's just not what what it's supposed to be and the damage to the whole worlds ecosystem would be immense.

What's this **** about land use? Should agriculture take place In a window box perhaps?

Shouldn't take place at all in a lot of instances, leave the land resort back to it's natural state in large part.

That carbon foot print thing regarding a flight to New York vs beef has been shown to be complete and utter bogwash - much like the rest of the 'facts' presented in that programne.

I assume the way it was meant was per person, i'm not sure what a 747 holds say 500 people, so 1/500th of a round trip? I'm not quite sure that's just the number he gave.

We had people in the house so i couldn't really pay attention to it properly, i'm hope to dig it out and have a proper look over the weekend. It's food for thought if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

There's not a farming gene which prohibits farmers and their offspring from doing anything else for a living.

Industrialisation was going to take all the jobs, computers would take them all, robots would have every last job and we'd all starve, AI is going to see us all unemployed. This shít has to end - times change, and that's just it - you can't live in the past. You don't see too many coopers wanted adds on linkedin do you - the world went on!

I do and i don't. It looks to me like a glimpse of things to come, but i don't see it happening any time soon. But i think sheer necessity will see it start to creep in in some form or other and then once people get used to it and businesses see they can make money from it, the slow steady decline in traditional farming is inevitable i think.

He actually mentioned that in the show, and to be fair i think he has a very good point. I've never been to the lake district but it certainly looks amazing from what i've seen on tv etc, but his point was that you are actually admiring is the topography - the place should be teaming with all manner of plant and animal life, similar to the amazon. But all there really is, is grass and sheep.

Possibly in another few generations the amazon will just be grass and cows - it will possibly still look nice, but it's just not what what it's supposed to be and the damage to the whole worlds ecosystem would be immense.

Shouldn't take place at all in a lot of instances, leave the land resort back to it's natural state in large part.

I assume the way it was meant was per person, i'm not sure what a 747 holds say 500 people, so 1/500th of a round trip? I'm not quite sure that's just the number he gave.

We had people in the house so i couldn't really pay attention to it properly, i'm hope to dig it out and have a proper look over the weekend. It's food for thought if nothing else.

We could flatten Dublin, turn it into a tropical forest paradise and bring in exotic animals, fish and birds, we could maybe clone dinosaurs too and bring a few of them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,149 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The technology coming is growing microbes in factories to produce food.
    In the show they grew these microbes to produce a protein rich flour which they used to make pancakes. But similar processes could be used to make all manner of foodstuffs.

Factory grown meat from stem cells is coming too. Mass produceable meat without the need to rear and kill animals. All that land used to grow food crops for animals can then be used for growing human food, but we wouldn't need anything like all of it, so the rest could go back to rebuilding the biodiversity farming has destroyed and is destroying all around the globe, trees to suck up carbon etc.
    So what was it proposing to do until all this tech was ready?

You have quoted me as saying a lot of stuff in your post that I didn't say at all. Can you edit please?

We could flatten Dublin, turn it into a tropical forest paradise and bring in exotic animals, fish and birds, we could maybe clone dinosaurs too and bring a few of them in.

Plenty of dinosaurs in Dublin as it is, they drive up in their tractors from time to time and make a nuisance of themselves over some shít or other:D
    So what was it proposing to do until all this tech was ready?

Business as usual of course, but the quicker we get away from what we're doing now the better.

You have quoted me as saying a lot of stuff in your post that I didn't say at all. Can you edit please?

Sorry Francie, my mistake - cut and paste error.:o

...I do and i don't. It looks to me like a glimpse of things to come, but i don't see it happening any time soon. But i think sheer necessity will see it start to creep in in some form or other and then once people get used to it and businesses see they can make money from it, the slow steady decline in traditional farming is inevitable i think.

It's simply a fantasy - driven by his personal belief that eating or using any animal product is somehow unethical. It’s yet another example of misleading media that is misinforming viewers.

Of course farming will change. That's a given. It does not mean that farming here will automatically change into George Monbiots personal wet dream

He doesn't really. The landscape he describes was under 100's of feet of ice less than 12,000 years ago. That disappeared and It was then tundra and supported herds of post ice age animals. Later secondary vegetation became dominant. Then humans came and changed things again. And it's still changing.

There was never one single utopia when it was 'teaming with all manner of plant and animal life,
    similar to the amazon.'. Its nothing like the Amazon. As an upland area tree and vegetation growth is marginal at best. And the fact is it still abounds with wildlife and rare vegetation even with the sheep!

Do wut? Agriculture feeds people and people have been terra forming the planet for that and other purposes for millennia. We now have more people on the planet than ever before and no we are not going to any 'natural state' any time soon, unless we have massive human die off or similar. No matter what fantasies we are being fed by the likes of channel 4 and their plant food industry funding.

No - not to put a too fine a point on it - it's simply bollox. See link below.

Fair enough.

If you have time here's some interesting reading that debunks much of George's ramblings. It remains he knows fek all about anything apparently. His newspaper articles are little better tbh.

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2020/01/08/techno-optimism-run-amok-george-monbiots-latest-delusion/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

https://ghgguru.faculty.ucdavis.edu/2019/09/26/no-four-pounds-of-beef-doesnt-equal-the-emissions-of-a-transatlantic-flight/

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tarn-hows-and-coniston/features/grazing-for-nature

It's simply a fantasy - driven by his personal belief that eating or using any animal product is somehow unethical. It’s yet another example of misleading media that is misinforming viewers.

Of course farming will change. That's a given. It does not mean that farming here will automatically change into George Monbiots personal wet dream

Of course not, this is of course his vision of the perfect future, it's very unlikely to happen exactly as he predicts - but some diluted version of it is probably inevitable.

He doesn't really. The landscape he describes was under 100's of feet of ice less than 12,000 years ago. That disappeared and It was then tundra and supported herds of post ice age animals. Later secondary vegetation became dominant. Then humans came and changed things again. And it's still changing.

There was never one single utopia when it was 'teaming with all manner of plant and animal life,
    similar to the amazon.'. Its nothing like the Amazon. As an upland area tree and vegetation growth is marginal at best. And the fact is it still abounds with wildlife and rare vegetation even with the sheep!

The amazon bit could have been my addition, i don't think he mentioned the amazon at all.
    I just meant it in that, that is where the destruction of a diverse habitat to graze animals is happening most blatantly right now in front of our eyes. Similar to what we have done here over centuries past.

Do wut? Agriculture feeds people and people have been terra forming the planet for that and other purposes for millennia. We now have more people on the planet than ever before and no we are not going to any 'natural state' any time soon, unless we have massive human die off or similar. No matter what fantasies we are being fed by the likes of channel 4 and their plant food industry funding.

All the more reason why we really need to be chasing efficiencies and improvements do you not think?

No - not to put a too fine a point on it - it's simply bollox. See link below.

Fair enough.

If you have time here's some interesting reading that debunks much of George's ramblings. It remains he knows fek all about anything apparently. His newspaper articles are little better tbh.

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2020/01/08/techno-optimism-run-amok-george-monbiots-latest-delusion/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

https://ghgguru.faculty.ucdavis.edu/2019/09/26/no-four-pounds-of-beef-doesnt-equal-the-emissions-of-a-transatlantic-flight/

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tarn-hows-and-coniston/features/grazing-for-nature

I'm in work so i could only skim through, but it doesn't really seem to say it's bollox - it says he's used global average numbers for the carbon footprint of beef, as opposed to more efficient American figures.
    I'd see that as more a case of massaging the statistics than telling porkie pies.

In fact, there's possibly even a case to be argued, that as carbon emissions are a global issue, any numbers which aren't global in nature could be seen as misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The vision of EVs it seems as compared to diesel cars isn't really doing much for the environment.
    Cause and affect solutions to farming will probably have little either.
    What goes in must come out somewhere.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/25/are-electric-vehicles-really-so-climate-friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think they can clone beef now, grow it in a test-tube or something.
    But farming is actually increasing and looks set to continue to grow.

Famring has to increae because of population growth and fact that as countries become more affluent more food is wasted.
    I think he was talking about sheep.
    "23m sheep occupy much of the UK. Well, they provide just over 1% of our food, in terms of calories.”

Total av consumption of lamb + mutton in UK is 5.0kg per person per year or 1% of calories.
    Yet sheep are the reason there are no trees on our uplands here and in Britain.

WTF ?

Sheep can cause problems with erosion as was seen with landslide in Mayo some time back. Well them and heavy heavy rain.

You are seriously blaming them for no trees on uplands. :rolleyes:

BTW check out what deer do to young trees if you seriously want to learn something rather than trot out your usual anti farming mullarkey.

I am not allowed discuss …

The technology coming is growing microbes in factories to produce food.
    In the show they grew these microbes to produce a protein rich flour which they used to make pancakes. But similar processes could be used to make all manner of foodstuffs.

Factory grown meat from stem cells is coming too. Mass produceable meat without the need to rear and kill animals. All that land used to grow food crops for animals can then be used for growing human food, but we wouldn't need anything like all of it, so the rest could go back to rebuilding the biodiversity farming has destroyed and is destroying all around the globe, trees to suck up carbon etc.

Wipeee more Monsantos.
    Ever see how they operate?

Do you actually know that farming can also help biodiversity, or at least more old style non industrialised farming.

Some people do not realise that most or our environment has been tailored by man over centuries, hell millenia.

Or are you one of the ones chomping at the bit to re-introduce the wolves to our soon to be burgeoning wildernesses. :(
    It honestly does look to me like farmings day's could be numbered, obviously there will always be some sort of farming but on nothing approaching the scale we see today, and i think that can only be a good thing.

Ah yes lets see the end of our only true indigenous industry and large scale employer.
    Yet another one that actually believes how great we are with all our foreign multinationals here because of tax write offs.

This utopian meat from a petri dish is going to cost, there is always a cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The worst disaster that can happen to a young forestry plantation is that the local farmer lets his sheep into it.

Lived years where that happened; I used to chase sheep out frequently and talked to the forestry folk. And kept watch over the saplings. Called the authorities when I saw sheep in there. They eat the centre bud and the tree then never grows a stout trunk,

So yes, sheep damage trees wherever they find them So I believe the poster. Why the diversion to deer? I am not anti farming but I am against farmers who disrespect others land.

"

Sheep can cause problems with erosion as was seen with landslide in Mayo some time back. Well them and heavy heavy rain.

BTW check out what deer do to young trees if you seriously want to learn something rather than trot out your usual anti farming mullarkey.[/QUOTE]"

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »

WTF ?

BTW check out what deer do to young trees if you seriously want to learn something rather than trot out your usual anti farming mullarkey.

Yes sheep and deer. Look it up. Where there now may be coillte forests around the Dublin and Wicklow mountains for e.g., this used to be covered in trees.
    You can't regenerate these forests because of sheep and deer.
    Here's a good article on it

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/another-life-how-can-we-rescue-our-sheepwrecked-uplands-1.2009255

There's a point there, but agrifood comprises close to 10% of GDP, it really is the lifeblood of certain towns and communities.

I'm not saying that farming has to carry on in its current guise, half the area of the country will literally collapse unless there is a viable plan to diversify and bring alternative industries to rural areas.

Ultimately, if the abolition of current systems of agriculture don't have popular support it won't be happening.

Of course not, this is of course his vision of the perfect future, it's very unlikely to happen exactly as he predicts - but some diluted version of it is probably inevitable.

George Monbiot is a fantasist imo. Having him preaching about agriculture is no better than having the pope preach about contraception tbh.
    He is also seriously missing a few fruit loops. He once tried to carry out a citizen's arrest of John Bolton, a former US ambassador to the United Nations, when the latter attended the a literary Festival in tte UK. A voice of reason he is not.
    The amazon bit could have been my addition, i don't think he mentioned the amazon at all.
    I just meant it in that, that is where the destruction of a diverse habitat to graze animals is happening most blatantly right now in front of our eyes. Similar to what we have done here over centuries past.

That's the thing - some of the most extensive and harmful impacts of food production globally has taken place in areas like the Amazon in order to grow soy for soy oil production and in the far east for palm oil cultivation. And yet again and again that's never mentioned - just the old 'meat thou' argument beloved of the extreme plant advocates. And Im not saying cattle rearing there is a good thing - it's not - but neither is cropping or any ongoing deforestation.

Wildlife in the UK and Ireland are adapted to landscapes which evolved with human use many centuries ago. The Lake Distict is a case in point. Take a look at the link about grazing and wildlife in those areas and how it supports diversity.

The other thing is that most of what is fed to animals as supplementary feed comes from the by-products and left overs of the human food industry. George's figures of 50% of all crops being fed to livestock is pure rubbish and does not stand up to scrutiny.
    All the more reason why we really need to be chasing efficiencies and improvements do you not think?

Well there you have it! What drives intensity of production? There are more people on the planet than ever and yet there is no shortage of food. Where there is hunger it is been mainly driven by corruption and inequality. As a sector agticulture and food production has become more vastly more efficient over the past century.
    “For the world as a whole, per capita food availability has risen from about 2220 kcal/person/day in the early 1960s to 2790 kcal/person/day in 2006-08, while developing countries even recorded a leap from 1850 kcal/person/day to over 2640 kcal/person/day” (FAO, p. 174). This is enough to feed everyone.

That said - It is estimated that all forms of agriculture contribute less than a quarter of all ghgs emissions worldwide. That's the same agriculture which feeds the worlds people.

The remainder over 70% of all emissions are down to the ever growing use of fossil fuels in the energy and transport sectors. Does it mean that that we all have to become vegans and eat highly processed crap - thankfully no it doesn't. What will it take to make a difference? It's not that difficult to figure out tbh.
    I'm in work so i could only skim through, but it doesn't really seem to say it's bollox - it says he's used global average numbers for the carbon footprint of beef, as opposed to more efficient American figures.
    I'd see that as more a case of massaging the statistics than telling porkie pies.

Nah that's ok. But yes It is what he is saying is bollox and it's not just me saying that btw
    As detailed in the article - it is being claimed that 4lbs of beef are the equivalent with regard to carbon footprint - to a one way flight to New York

Per passenger, a one-way flight from NYC to London causes 1,980 lbs (898 kg) of CO2 equivalent emissions.

In the article it states that U.S. beef produces "22 kg of CO2 equivalent emissions per kg. Thus, 4 pounds of U.S. beef would result in approximately 40 kg of emissions, less than 1/20th of the emissions per passenger of the plane ride in question"

So a flight to New York well exceeds the carbon footprint of 4lbs of beef. The figures just dont add up.

In Ireland it is estimated that beef produces about 19kgs of carbon per kg of beef (compared with an EU average of 22kgs) so it's even less!

You are right though the figures and 'facts' he uses are indeed misleading and I would add - absolute cow manure. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

George Monbiot is a fantasist imo. Having him preaching about agriculture is no better than having the pope preach about contraception tbh.
    He is also seriously missing a few fruit loops. He once tried to carry out a citizen's arrest of John Bolton, a former US ambassador to the United Nations, when the latter attended the a literary Festival in tte UK. A voice of reason he is not.

That's the thing - some of the most extensive and harmful impacts of food production globally has taken place in areas like the Amazon in order to grow soy for soy oil production and in the far east for palm oil cultivation. And yet again and again that's never mentioned - just the old 'meat thou' argument beloved of the extreme plant advocates. And Im not saying cattle rearing there is a good thing - it's not - but neither is cropping or any ongoing deforestation.

Wildlife in the UK and Ireland are adapted to landscapes which evolved with human use many centuries ago. The Lake Distict is a case in point. Take a look at the link about grazing and wildlife in those areas and how it supports diversity.

The other thing is that most of what is fed to animals as supplementary feed comes from the by-products and left overs of the human food industry. George's figures of 50% of all crops being fed to livestock is pure rubbish and does not stand up to scrutiny.

Well there you have it! What drives intensity of production? There are more people on the planet than ever and yet there is no shortage of food. Where there is hunger it is been mainly driven by corruption and inequality. As a sector agticulture and food production has become more vastly more efficient over the past century.

That said - It is estimated that all forms of agriculture contribute less than a quarter of all ghgs emissions worldwide. That's the same agriculture which feeds the worlds people.

The remainder over 70% of all emissions are down to the ever growing use of fossil fuels in the energy and transport sectors. Does it mean that that we all have to become vegans and eat highly processed crap - thankfully no it doesn't. What will it take to make a difference? It's not that difficult to figure out tbh.

Nah that's ok. But yes It is what he is saying is bollox and it's not just me saying that btw
    As detailed in the article - it is being claimed that 4lbs of beef are the equivalent with regard to carbon footprint - to a one way flight to New York

Per passenger, a one-way flight from NYC to London causes 1,980 lbs (898 kg) of CO2 equivalent emissions.

In the article it states that U.S. beef produces "22 kg of CO2 equivalent emissions per kg. Thus, 4 pounds of U.S. beef would result in approximately 40 kg of emissions, less than 1/20th of the emissions per passenger of the plane ride in question"

So a flight to New York well exceeds the carbon footprint of 4lbs of beef. The figures just dont add up.

In Ireland it is estimated that beef produces about 19kgs of carbon per kg of beef (compared with an EU average of 22kgs) so it's even less!

You are right though the figures and 'facts' he uses are indeed misleading and I would add - absolute cow manure. .

Real that bit in a bit bro. Nice try, but unless "evolve" means decimation you're taking the piss. Surprised you tried it, as most of your posts are good. Aside from our older natural species the curlew and the corncrake will strongly disagree.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Real that bit in a bit bro. Nice try, but unless "evolve" means decimation you're taking the piss. Surprised you tried it, as most of your posts are good. Aside from our older natural species the curlew and the corncrake will strongly disagree.

Dont know much about our native ecology then I take it? - no worries

But yeah I was referring specifically to the landscape of the lake district detailed previously

Viz.
    gozunda wrote:
    Wildlife in the UK and Ireland are adapted to landscapes which evolved with human use many centuries ago. The Lake Distict is a case in point. Take a look at the link about grazing and wildlife in those areas and how it supports diversity.

But yes in general the wildlife which exists today in the UK and Ireland and which make up our flora and fauna and found in hedges and fields did so because they became adapted to changes in the landscape over millennia.

Not just me saying that btw. From the link.
    For generations farmers have shaped the Cumbrian landscape, a factor integral to the Lake District’s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s a common misconception that the countryside manages itself; much of this iconic landscape looks the way it does because of farming. The Lake District’s bid to become a World Heritage Site defined the landscape as the result of "the combined works of nature and of man" – a centuries-old partnership which is still strong today.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tarn-hows-and-coniston/features/grazing-for-nature?awc=3795_1578788137_272c559461cc2419e98c00eb686ad0f9&campid=Affiliates_Central_Mem_AWIN_Standard&aff=78888

Closer to home - just the other day I saw a flock of approx 30 wood pigeons feeding on the ground along a double hedgerow here. Just hope the local foxes don't decimate them again - fox numbers have exploded here in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dont know much about our native ecology then I take it? - no worries

Who told you native Irish wildlife evolved with humans and farming?? The Irish Wolfe didn't, Corkcrakes, Curlews and the majority of birds of prey wouldn't agree with you either.

Wipeee more Monsantos.
    Ever see how they operate?

Do you actually know that farming can also help biodiversity, or at least more old style non industrialised farming.

I'll take your point on monsanto! But apart from that you're having a laugh surely. Farming does nothing to support biodiversity!

Or are you one of the ones chomping at the bit to re-introduce the wolves to our soon to be burgeoning wildernesses. :(

I'd love to see wolves reintroduced. Biodiversity, remember!
    Ah yes lets see the end of our only true indigenous industry and large scale employer.
    Yet another one that actually believes how great we are with all our foreign multinationals here because of tax write offs..

These days farming at all on this island only exists because tax payers pay to keep it afloat. Tax payers like those multinationals and the people who work for them!
    This utopian meat from a petri dish is going to cost, there is always a cost.

Of course there will be a cost, at the moment though i see nothing to suggest it won't be considerably less than the one we are currently paying, either financially or environmentally.

Ha ha, i'll have to read up on him. I'd never heard of him before the show, still haven't had a chance to watch it properly.

A lot of which is going to produce animal feed (was Georges argument anyway?)

I think you could be on thin ice with that, it's kind of like arguing that you make some change that only half the wildlife can survive and then saying the remaining ones are perfectly adapted to it, when they are really just the lucky ones. They aren't adapted per se, they were just fortunate in that they could tolerate the change.

Agree entirely about famine etc usually being a political problem, and yes we have enormously upped the output from farming since WW2 say - but at what environmental cost to the planet?

It seems like Georgie boy has been using statistics quite selectively shall we say (as are you:D) But if the global figure is correct (I don't know enough about it to say it is or it isn't), then the figure from this tiny little rock would be fairly meaningless do you not think?

Ha ha, i'll have to read up on him. I'd never heard of him before the show, still haven't had a chance to watch it properly.

Do - as I said an extreme vegan preaching about agriculture is little better than the pope preaching about contraception!
    A lot of which is going to produce animal feed (was Georges argument anyway?)

Haha George again :rolleyes: Again what George is claiming is bolllox. The bulk of supplementary fees fed to animals comes from the waste and byproducts of the human food industry. Not just me saying that btw. That comes from the UN based Food and Agricultural Organisation.
    I think you could be on thin ice with that, it's kind of like arguing that you make some change that only half the wildlife can survive and then saying the remaining ones are perfectly adapted to it, when they are really just the lucky ones. They aren't adapted per se, they were just fortunate in that they could tolerate the change.

Again not my argument. That is the current ecological viewpoint. The wildlife we have now are adapted to our landscapes. Protecting and conserving that wildlife is part of our responsibilities. And not only have some animals adapted- some are thriving but yes some are in decline due to changing practises. That said the huge increase in human population is putting significant pressures on wildlife habitats globally.
    Agree entirely about famine etc usually being a political problem, and yes we have enormously upped the output from farming since WW2 say - but at what environmental cost to the planet?

Well we can cull people and not feed them I suppose. In Ireland we have gone from a country where famine was rife less than 200 years ago to being a net food producer.

Important to bear in mind here that the largest ghg emissions globally are as a result of fossil fuel use in the transport and energy sectors. In Ireland for example emissions from transport alone have increased 37% since 1990 whilst emissions related to agriculture have increased by approx 1%.
    It seems like Georgie boy has been using statistics quite selectively shall we say (as are you:D) But if the global figure is correct (I don't know enough about it to say it is or it isn't), then the figure from this tiny little rock would be fairly meaningless do you not think?

The thing is I took a look at the actual figures available. And tbh I cannot find where this supposed 'global' figure comes from with the EU and US figures being the same. But hey sure we can ban flying and beef as well - that should certainly help along with the necessary culling obviously (joke).

I see you support the reintroduction of the wolf along with the (looney) greens haha. Looking at the history of the wolf here - they were killed off largely as a result the bounty placed on their heads by the English government of the time. The greens also want to double the human population here. From a carbon footprint thing - I'm not sure how thats going to work out - maybe could start feeding people to the wolves. I guess George would like that ;)

D
    I see you support the reintroduction of the wolf along with the (looney) greens haha. Looking at the history of the wolf here - they were killed off largely as a result the bounty placed on their heads by the English government of the time. The greens also want to double the human population here. From a carbon footprint thing - I'm not sure how thats going to work out - maybe could start feeding people to the wolves. I guess George would like that ;)

So would the wolves i suppose:D

Bit of a tangent, but i think there's very little reason to not reintroduce them - apart from the usual gobshítes looking to be paid for the inconvenience! Wolves are part of the natural ecology of the country, they belong here for want of a better phrase.
    Plus they are just fascinating enigmatic animals, they'd be cool to have wandering about the place, do you not think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,149 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bit of a tangent, but i think there's very little reason to not reintroduce them - apart from the usual gobshítes looking to be paid for the inconvenience! Wolves are part of the natural ecology of the country, they belong here for want of a better phrase.
    Plus they are just fascinating enigmatic animals, they'd be cool to have wandering about the place, do you not think?

People, in the volumes that exist, do not belong in the countryside. Cities don't belong on the periphery of the countryside.

Where does this stuff stop?
    What we need to do is evolve harmony between how we want to live and maintaining a healthy planet. Urbanisation and industrialisation would be the first thing to tackle in trying to achieve that imo.

Stuck in traffic this morning (fúcking N7 - 2.5 hours to do a trip which normally takes 30 - 35 mins:mad:) anyway, guy comes on the radio (on Pat Kennys show on newstalk), didn't catch his name but he says that 91% of the land of Ireland is given over to beef and dairy farming, and even at that we still import 100,000 tons a week of cow feed.

That can't be right can it?

I'll take your point on monsanto! But apart from that you're having a laugh surely. Farming does nothing to support biodiversity!

I'd love to see wolves reintroduced. Biodiversity, remember!

Anyone that thinks they can reintroduce wolves into Ireland is a moron.
    And a grade A one at that with feck all knowledge of how wolves operate.

And to think the very same people that lecture farmers and others about the environment are the very ones championing and approving of this lunacy says a hell of a lot about their lack of knowledge of the real world and indeed how wildlife and wilderness operate.

The only real cool thing that wolves could possibly do here is eliminate once and for all those that would be Darwinian award candidates and in the previous age of wolves would not have lasted long enough to procreate.

It'll never happen in Ireland because we have no wilderness, it's a giant cattle farm really, and you can't throw a stone without hitting a one off house. Wolves have been spotted in Belgium recently, which you would think is a far more domesticated land than Ireland, but no it has more than double the forest cover of Ireland and probably proper planning laws in place. Just shows what an absolute mess the Irish "countryside" is.

It'll never happen in Ireland because we have no wilderness, it's a giant cattle farm really, and you can't throw a stone without hitting a one off house. Wolves have been spotted in Belgium recently, which you would think is a far more domesticated land than Ireland, but no it has more than double the forest cover of Ireland and probably proper planning laws in place. Just shows what an absolute mess the Irish "countryside" is.

Great you got to have a dig at farmers and rural dwellers.
    You really do hate rural Ireland don't you.

One of the things you are conveniently failing to mention is the wolves in Belgium are usually sighted in forested areas bordering other countries.

A lot of Irish people don't seem to grasp the size of forests in other countries, Europe included, and how they interlink across national boundaries.

Actually one area that allowed spread of wildlife through many countries was the old iron curtain border between the East and West.
    It had created a wild corridor where there was no human interference.
    Not sure what happened to this on the fall of The Wall.

And yes you are right we don't have the wilderness and we haven't for the last couple of centuries.

The proponents can spew all the shyte about reintroduction of wolves in Yellowstone, but what they usually fail to mention is Yellowstone is equivalent in size to say Mayo+Sligo+Leitrim or Wicklow+Wexford+Carlow+Kilkenny+Laois.

The only areas of major national parkland are either in Kerry or Wicklow.
    The plus of Wicklow is the starving wolves can migrate into South Dublin and get rid or all the morons proposing this. :D

You really do hate rural Ireland don't you.

I hate that we've given our entire country to beef and dairy, yes. Would be nice to have some wildlife and trees etc.
    Yes there are corridors of forests etc around Europe that allow for this to happen with wolves. I don't think anyone actually believes there will ever be wolves in Ireland though. Packs of rabid wild dogs after the coming climate Armageddon perhaps.

• Advertisement

Why so?

There is far too much of ireland given over to farming, but we do still have some wilderness (most obviously the 2 areas you mention but other areas also) No reason whatsoever why wolves couldn't thrive there - they are after all native to the bloody place and were hunted to extinction. (EDIT - Just looked up their areas and they are all bit on the small size:(, would need a fair bit of management for wolf packs to remain viable. But then again it's not like the fúcking cows look after themselves is it!)
    You really do hate rural Ireland don't you.............

The plus of Wicklow is the starving wolves can migrate into South Dublin and get rid or all the morons proposing this

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think anyone actually believes there will ever be wolves in Ireland though. .

I think the reality is if we ever did get round to doing it our welly wearing compatriots would just shoot them or poison them, similar to what we've seen happen with the reintroduction birds of prey.

Guardians of the country side my arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

we do still have some wilderness (most obviously the 2 areas you mention but other areas also) No reason whatsoever why wolves couldn't thrive there

And what happens in your best case scenario that wolves DO thrive ?
    That assumes a healthy prey population is available.
    They would spread out and encroach other areas, farms and houses.

Even then, wolves would rather a handy meal which is already caged in a farmers field, than go for days searching for a free-range wild animal.

And what happens when they are hungry and encounter people/children ?
    Link: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/wolf-attack-canada-trnd/index.html

Nope, introducing wolves has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I think the reality is if we ever did get round to doing it our welly wearing compatriots would just shoot them or poison them, similar to what we've seen happen with the reintroduction birds of prey.

Guardians of the country side my arse!

:D

Many European countries can do it, we can't. Like most things.

And what happens when they are hungry and encounter people/children ?
    Link: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/wolf-attack-canada-trnd/index.html

Prey, there is absolutely no shortage of - the place is crawling with deer for one, wolves will eat all sorts, they'd find something!

As for eating all the kiddies, wolves do tend to avoid people. Kiddies likely have more to fear from pet dogs than they would hungry wolves. They most likely would eat the odd sheep or something like that however.

I don't think it will probably ever happen (the reintroduction of wild wolves), but it would be nice if it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Another protest planned for Dublin tomorrow 2pm.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0114/1107325-farmers-protest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

elperello wrote: »
    Another protest planned for Dublin tomorrow 2pm.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0114/1107325-farmers-protest/

Yea, they're claiming it's going to be huge, saw a post on Facebook claiming 600 tractors,
    RTE expecting the Dail to be dissolved this evening, protest would be a bit pointless if there's no one in the dail

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, they're claiming it's going to be huge, saw a post on Facebook claiming 600 tractors,
    RTE expecting the Dail to be dissolved this evening, protest would be a bit pointless if there's one in the dail

Good stuff. The traffic free streets around my work are a joy to walk or cycle around when the farmers are in town.

wrangler wrote: »
    RTE expecting the Dail to be dissolved this evening, protest would be a bit pointless if there's no one in the dail

If it is even half that size it might put the wind up rural TD's.

I hate that we've given our entire country to beef and dairy, yes. Would be nice to have some wildlife and trees etc.
    Yes there are corridors of forests etc around Europe that allow for this to happen with wolves. I don't think anyone actually believes there will ever be wolves in Ireland though. Packs of rabid wild dogs after the coming climate Armageddon perhaps.

Actually I can remember the more old school farming where you could hear corncrakes in summer, curlews in the bogs while saving turf, etc.

The problem with the way farming has gone, all due to economies of scale and such, is that grass is force fed with fertiliser, meadows are not allowed last as long as not been kept for hay, but multiple cuts of silage.
    And yes I damn well know well the reason for silage is apart form one summer in twenty the weather is not there to save hay.

A lot of posters around here want small farmers to adopt the purely economic model like other businsses and sell up, which will surely lead to more and more industrialised farming.

Also if people think that getting rid of diary and beef will mean some huge resurgence of biodiversity have another thing coming.
    Cereal and horticulture farming is intensive and requiring lots of pesticides and insecticides to help guarantee yields.
    Why so?

There is far too much of ireland given over to farming, but we do still have some wilderness (most obviously the 2 areas you mention but other areas also) No reason whatsoever why wolves couldn't thrive there - they are after all native to the bloody place and were hunted to extinction. (EDIT - Just looked up their areas and they are all bit on the small size:(, would need a fair bit of management for wolf packs to remain viable. But then again it's not like the fúcking cows look after themselves is it!)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

FFS would you stop showing your ignorance.

Wolves roam by their very nature.
    Do you have any idea how much they can roam ?

Interesting snippet I found was that wolf found in Flanders in Belgium was found through it's radio collar to have come through Netherlands from Germany and had covered 500km in 10 days.
    Remind us again how big Ireland is. :rolleyes:

When they lasted truly existed here there were huge amounts of forestry and way way less people.

Even if you stopped farming in areas, do you propose forced movement of people ala Stalin ?

Even if you and your ilk had their way and removed one off rural housing, there are villages of numerous houses not much more than say every 3 or 4 miles of each other around most of the country, bar a few desolate places in the west or likes of Kerry.
    And yes that village density includes most of Wicklow as Wicklow National park can be crossed either way in less than a day on foot.
    :D

Many European countries can do it, we can't. Like most things.

I see Geography wasn't your strong suit in school.

A few hundred tractors strategically placed around the city can bring Dublin and it's anti rural folks to a complete standstill.

If Irish farmers learn from the French, rural politicians will start getting very uneasy.

Interesting snippet I found was that wolf found in Flanders in Belgium was found through it's radio collar to have come through Netherlands from Germany and had covered 500km in 10 days.
    Remind us again how big Ireland is. :rolleyes:

At guess i'd say it's in or around the same size it was when the wolves did live here:D

It's quite possible that wolves could be reintroduced, but would require a bit of management. Still might be worth the effort though.

As i've said, it's not like your cows get themselves up and out to school in the morning is it.

How long do you think they'd last if you stopped looking after them?

I was always quite good at geography actually. And tact.

When the small farmers go out of business it will free up a bit of space for wolves.
    31AzZRS6b8L._SY355_.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

When are our Heroes coming to Dublin then? I'll take a walk down to look at their mutton heads at lunch, maybe hand out a few soy lattes to keep them going.

Should be there soon enough, T. Protest starts at 2. You'll smell the hang sangiches and flasks of schald when they're close.

When are our Heroes coming to Dublin then? I'll take a walk down to look at their mutton heads at lunch, maybe hand out a few soy lattes to keep them going.

If you ask them they might let you hold one end of a banner :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7mRq0L5nY

• Advertisement
Advertisement