Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

seamus wrote: »

It's a perfect example of the self-entitled attitude of Irish farmers, and their complete lack of regard for anyone or anything beyond their own narrow interests.

Arrogant pricks. That's what they are.

To be fair not all the farmers are like this. It's a race to the bottom with supermarkets, processors etc all looking to maximize profits but make sure they don't take any of the hit.

I'm not defending the protest but when you are working 7 days a week day and night and your purchaser wants you to sell your goods at cost or below it must make you question why you bother.

Remember a lot of farmers have taken their own lives over the financial pressures of keeping going and all because we want the "3 for €10" deal in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Come on now...that's a bit OTT. you think they behaved like that to aggrieve people in a hospital????
    No, clearly not. It's the fact that they did it in spite of being outside of a hospital.

"To hell with everyone else, we'll do what we want".

Anyone with a bit of class and humanity would think, "Lads, maybe we should tone it down around hospitals, yeah? Keep it down, yeah? Let's just show a bit of sensitivity and go somewhere else."

Nope, not the farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

mfceiling wrote: »

I'm not defending the protest but when you are working 7 days a week day and night and your purchaser wants you to sell your goods at cost or below it must make you question why you bother.

Can you tell me why they can't do something else for a living?
    Why would anyone invest so much time and money to hang on to a profession which pays so poorly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Why would anyone invest so much time and money to hang on to a profession which pays so poorly?

Cause it isnt that bad it's just not as good as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,149 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    No, clearly not. It's the fact that they did it in spite of being outside of a hospital.

"To hell with everyone else, we'll do what we want".

Anyone with a bit of class and humanity would think, "Lads, maybe we should tone it down around hospitals, yeah? Keep it down, yeah? Let's just show a bit of sensitivity and go somewhere else."

Nope, not the farmers.

Protests are noisy and boisterous shocker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is it even legal to drive a tractor in a city? They gave someone on an electric scooter penalty points in Dublin recently, lol, yet you can drive a tractor around.

If its taxed, insured and road worthy, why not?
    The electric scooter only got ticketed because it's considered a "vehicle" under current law and had no tax/insurance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

When the farmers stop voting in FF/FG they will have my full support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

scrumqueen wrote: »

The farming vote is actually an irrelevance in modern politics in Ireland

Don’t fg have more Dublin td’s Than rural anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think the farmers should be allowed marry anyone they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I don't understand why anyone would protest to save their career either. Like the teachers, those pesky tram operators and don't talk to me about the nurses. Come on guys if your not getting enough money from your lively hood just walk away quietly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

They can’t face there mother in heaven or hell without the field!

What do you do for a living sbsquarepants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You as a farmer want to do this blockade your local TD and their constituency office don't come to Dublin and cause a ruckus ordinary people up here working and commuting getting effected will not support your cause disregarding the dail isn't even sitting due to the upcoming election vote the politicians that won't listen to your cause out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well sure if its that's easy to just throw away a farming background why don't we all quit and become brain surgeons?

Generations of people have known nothing else only farming...bit difficult for them to say to the parents..."sell the lot I'm going to work in centra".

Most of the younger farmers are coming up with great ideas of how to farm more greener, cleaner and more efficient. Unfortunately the supermarkets and processors still want to pay buttons for the product.

If we go the way of America with huge "super" farms don't expect the same quality of produce because cuts will have to be made somewhere and it won't be the processors or supermarkets who will want to absorb these costs.

How can a chicken be sold for €3 in a supermarket? Because they are intensely farmed and force fed and watered til they make their weight, then its 2 days to get the chicken house cleaned and disinfected and it's ready for another 40,000 chickens. That's every 6 weeks or so. Does a "farmed" chicken taste anything remotely like a chicken that was allowed to grow naturally? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

scrumqueen wrote: »

They don't all vote FF/FG anymore.
    How do you propose to find out how individual citizens vote?
    What support do you propose to offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What do you do for a living sbsquarepants?
    They can’t face there mother in heaven or hell without the field!

I'm sorry Mammy. You were right. She is a bitch. She divorced me and took the farm. Just because she caught me with me cousin Bridie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You Dubs better hope that some of the Irish farmers don't adopt some of the French farmers habits or you will be cr** your pants altogether.

The amount of moronic stuff on this thread shows how little some people actually know about the wider world including most of this country.

Why aren't tractors illegal in cities was one doozy here.
    We have heard that tractors are strange and thus oh so much more dangerous than an articulated lorry or a large bus.

Fook me pink, but are people that fooking helpless nowadays that they will wander out in front of a big machine just because they don't normally see them day to day.
    Fookin hell is this what the world is coming to.:confused:

Then we have the mantra that if farming isn't paying give up like others give up their jobs or businesses if not making enough money.

If they give up farming what are they going to do when they are more likely than not based in an area with little employment.

Of course the same geniuses with that bright idea don't really understand that the family home is part and parcel of the same farm, so how many people here sell their home when they change jobs ?

Should they all move to the brilliant idyll that is Dublin.

Sure who wouldn't want the chance of finding dismembered remains on the street on which they raise their children.:rolleyes:
    Beats a dead badger any day I guess.

Also much like fishing, farming tends to have been a family tradition where the business is effectively handed down form one generation to the next. It is what people call a way of life and not just a job.

Yes it isn't paying, but that is down to the middle man grabbing all the profits and the end users, yes including all the poor inconvenienced Dubs, getting very cheap food.

And that cheap food is why farmers get taxpayer funded subsidies.
    Governments have learned that the masses get very pis*ed off when they have empty bellies so they decided that no matter what they should be fed.

This a graph from the US which highlights this very trend.
    It has now gotten to the stage where food is being produced below cost and all but the biggest of farming enterprises are nearly running at losses.
    And this is not just an Irish problem.

food.jpg

I am not allowed discuss …

If we could separate the actual issues from the protest tactics it might help.
    What you are seeing on the streets of Dublin is only a symptom of the problems facing Irish farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StolenKrone

Im all for farmers complaining about tax and health&safety nonsense that costs money and doesnt benefit them.
    But the tractors most of the beef lads are driving are serious. We are talking a lot of capital outlay on some of the machinery they own today that isn't needed. Why buy a fendt when a new holland is just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

elperello wrote: »
    If we could separate the actual issues from the protest tactics it might help.
    What you are seeing on the streets of Dublin is only a symptom of the problems facing Irish farmers.

The organisers must be disappointed at the poor turnout, a slap in the face for those expecting 600 tractors.
    I was at an IFA meeting last night and none of the farmers present wanted a Protest when asked for suggestions on dealing with beef price which was reflected in the turnout today as well,

wrangler wrote: »
    The organisers must be disappointed at the poor turnout, a slap in the face for those expecting 600 tractors.
    I was at an IFA meeting last night and none of the farmers present wanted a Protest when asked for suggestions on dealing with beef price which was reflected in the turnout today as well,

I wonder did they ever think 600 was on?

Best get behind Tim Cullinan now and see what he can do.

elperello wrote: »
    I wonder did they ever think 600 was on?

Best get behind Tim Cullinan now and see what he can do.

By all means he’s making his presence felt - the beef plan Movement in trouble seems don’t have to look far for the culprit!
    Usual story top table minding themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jmayo wrote: »
    And that cheap food is why farmers get taxpayer funded subsidies.
    Governments have learned that the masses get very pis*ed off when they have empty bellies so they decided that no matter what they should be fed.

These are beef farmers. Not all of us eat that crap and it's a dirty industry that should be discouraged. 90% of it is exported so it's not even feeding Irish people.
    If it was veg growers I'd support them, but not this dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

These are beef farmers. Not all of us eat that crap and it's a dirty industry that should be discouraged. 90% of it is exported so it's not even feeding Irish people. If it was veg growers I'd support them, but not this dirt.

I disagree. Your personal belief may be that beef is crap - it certainly doesn't match with professional health bodies such as the NHS nutritional advice - which include it as part of a healthy balanced diet. No idea what the constant angry farming bashing is about tbh. It just comes across as vitriol tbh.

Cow manure makes very good fertiliser for vegetables once nicely composted and adds excellent humus to the soil.. But them I suppose thats no good. And it would have to be artifical fertilizers then as clearly that's just dirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

These are beef farmers. Not all of us eat that crap and it's a dirty industry that should be discouraged. 90% of it is exported so it's not even feeding Irish people.

Lol you love stiring dirt

• Advertisement

Im all for farmers complaining about tax and health&safety nonsense that costs money and doesnt benefit them.
    But the tractors most of the beef lads are driving are serious. We are talking a lot of capital outlay on some of the machinery they own today that isn't needed. Why buy a fendt when a new holland is just fine.

Like any vehicles - I reckon many are owned by the bank. They are also working vehicles with different uses depending on farming setup. Certainly there may be some who can afford a more expensive one - but then why do we have some people driving expensive cars such as top of the range BMW when a skoda would do?

U love stirring it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

So none Irish people aren’t deserving of being well fed??

Interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Most of them lads have a few other tractors, of varying vintages...
    The newest "main" tractor might be the only one with everything working/ no glass broken/comfortable enough to drive into a city centre ..

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Most of them lads have a few other tractors, of varying vintages...
    The newest "main" tractor might be the only one with everything working/ no glass broken/comfortable enough to drive into a city centre ..

And some are contractors machines loaned to the cause .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Where will they sleep tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Dublin homeless executive have offered beds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

No harm

Softly softly has got the farmers and rural Ireland fcuk all

Sorry but there’s unreal anger out there.

It needs to be adequately addressed.

FG are going to lose a lot of ground in rural Ireland (incl commuters). Less so amongst more affluent, urban, middle-aged voters for whom life is pretty peachy...

Not sure about the Sat voting thing... Honestly think Leo over-estimates his 'wokeness'.

The Greens will make gains (which will be massively overhyped by de Dublin meja...). I'd nearly vote for them myself if it wasn't for Eamon ****ing Ryan.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Where will they sleep tonight?

In the arms of Morpheus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

gozunda wrote: »
    Like any vehicles - I reckon many are owned by the bank. They are also working vehicles with different uses depending on farming setup. Certainly there may be some who can afford a more expensive one - but then why do we have some people driving expensive cars such as top of the range BMW when a skoda would do?

Ego and PCP finance, the perfect storm!

I don't think we should begrudge the farmers machinery, but to say tractors are compatible with city driving is a joke (not aimed at you Gozunda)...

That's why the Gardai had to fence off a lot of the routes. Tractors are not designed to, and farmers are not used to dealing with a multitude of vulnerable road users in tight spaces in a capital city at rush hour.
    A lot of the farmers were furious at this, claiming that they didn't fence off the roads.

What little sympathy is there would be quick eroded if there was an accident with a pedestrian or cyclist.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ego and PCP finance, the perfect storm!

I don't think we should begrudge the farmers machinery, but to say tractors are compatible with city driving is a joke (not aimed at you Gozunda)...

That's why the Gardai had to fence off a lot of the routes. Tractors are not designed to, and farmers are not used to dealing with a multitude of vulnerable road users in tight spaces in a capital city at rush hour.
    A lot of the farmers were furious at this, claiming that they didn't fence off the roads.

What little sympathy is there would be quick eroded if there was an accident with a pedestrian or cyclist.

Nah that ego is just a projection I reckon!. Thankfully it would appear drivers are being careful. That something most heavy vehicle drivers are painfully aware of imo. Btw where did you see that being the reason for fencing 'off the roads'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nah that ego is just a projection I reckon!. Thankfully it would appear drivers are being careful. That something most heavy vehicle drivers are painfully aware of imo. Btw where did you see that being the reason for fencing 'off the roads'?

Educated guess from being familiar with the amount of vulnerable road users in the area to be honest. Can't see any other reason for it. No doubt the drivers were careful, but that amount of machinery expected (900 Agri units) not designed for city driving would have to be catered for properly. And don't forget, the vulnerable road users can take risks.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I disagree. Your personal belief may be that beef is crap - it certainly doesn't match with professional health bodies such as the NHS nutritional advice - which include it as part of a healthy balanced diet. No idea what the constant angry farming bashing is about tbh. It just comes across as vitriol tbh.

Cow manure makes very good fertiliser for vegetables once nicely composted and adds excellent humus to the soil.. But them I suppose thats no good. And it would have to be artifical fertilizers then as clearly that's just dirt?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the advice that red meat (like beef) should be eaten as part of a healthy diet, but in much smaller quantities than we actually eat it?

awec wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the advice that red meat (like beef) should be eaten as part of a healthy diet, but in much smaller quantities than we actually eat it?

Depends on how much you eat currently.

Details here -

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/red-meat-and-the-risk-of-bowel-cancer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

awec wrote: »

Correct. We already eat too much beef as it stands.

• Advertisement

So the issues here will be solved if we all eat one less steak a week? Is that the idea? :confused:

So the issues here will be solved if we all eat one less steak a week? Is that the idea? :confused:

Who said that? No one.

Run along now, someone somewhere is posting something negative about Ireland.

markodaly wrote: »
    Who said that? No one.

Run along now, someone somewhere is posting something negative about Ireland.

What has people eating less meat got to do with stopping the protests in Dublin? Surely there is some relevance to a thread called The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

What has people eating less meat got to do with stopping the protests in Dublin? Surely there is some relevance to a thread called The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Perhaps you should direct that question to the poster who originally raised it.

Perhaps you should direct that question to the poster who originally raised it.

Well you took on yourself to answer my question and give a bit of a lecture. Not much good are you.

I think you might may be on to to something there ;) Was over reading some of the replies in the Vegan Death Cult Thread and was wondering why a load of posters there - claiming other posters were saying nasty things - were absent.

Looks like some might just be here :D
    These are beef farmers. Not all of us eat that crap and it's a dirty industry that should be discouraged...If it was veg growers I'd support them, but not this dirt.
    Get them growing hemp and they can still play around on their tractors, whinge about Dublin and take grants.
    It's a perfect example of the self-entitled attitude of Irish farmers, and their complete lack of regard for anyone or anything beyond their own narrow interests.

Arrogant pricks. That's what they are.

Funny that eh? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not eaten beef or lamb for a couple of decades . Occasional bacon is all. Raised a pet lamb and then cattle in the fields by my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Not really though... it's all propaganda!

Our ancestors ate huge quantities of beef and other meat, and were fit as a fiddle once they kept active and fit... the problem is when you live a sedentary lifestyle and then eat these high nutrient dense foods, naturally you will put on weight and get health issues!

And btw, sitting all day and then hitting the gym for an hour lifting weights does NOT equal an active lifestyle. The sitting all day has a much bigger impact on your health than the hour lifting weights!

Obviously it's better than nothing - but our ancestors often expended more energy just trying get somewhere like the shop, work, school or college etc than the current generation expend during their "workouts"... if you are very active and really push your body the way your body was designed to be pushed... you will have no health issues from eating red meat. In fact, your body will use all those nutrients to make you stronger and fitter! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The lads with nothing to do all day but post on Boards, telling commuters that they just gave to suck-up the traffic disruption - too funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Three of my former landlords, and their brothers, farmed, but had full time jobs with the Council. They would rather have been farming full time but had children, and were very realistic about earnings.

Advertisement