Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Look at them on tv... big fat overpaid bastards driving tractors worth more than most peoples houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

It’s a disgrace of the highest order blocking the M50- hard working people trying to get home on a winters evening -I was in favour of protests until this blackguarding started- why don’t they drive past Goodmans house on a go slow for hours - they should be arrested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Just watched news report. This isn't protesting this is creating public nuisance. Gardai should have intervened. They aren't even supposed to be driving this slow on motorway. Do them all for dangerous driving .

Absolutely going to get no sympathy from the thousands of families they impacted today. Shameful behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Don’t agree with it either , there learning it from there European counterparts!
    U can expect a lot more of it for rest of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d disagree, how many protests do you witness in Dublin with masses of industrial equipment and people in close proximity on the streets, unless you can advise, it only seems to be a farmers thing.
    Every Saturday there are some crowd of ***** ****ing up the traffic in Dublin so these gob****es might as well do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I doubt they'll do anything, they seem to get a free pass. At lunchtime I cycled towards St Stephen's Green down Merrion Row, which was closed off to traffic, and some prick Garda started shouting at me that it was a one way street - I said it's closed to traffic what does it matter, and he insisted I walk with the bike. Meanwhile there's a tonne of tractors blocking off streets and they do nothing about it. It's all very odd.

Nice ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gonna be a lot of people on the M50 adopting a meat free diet from tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For anyone that thinks the Gardai should come the heavy hand maybe check out how successful the Mayor of the Hague was when he decided that only 75 tractors would be let into the city centre.
    And the army brough out trucks as road blocks.

Hundreds just broke their way in over beaches, crossing dual carriageways and through parks.

And lads you can fooking bleat all you want, but they are on their way home, just be fooking glad that the lad with the Abbey slurry spreader didn't bring a load ala the French.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just shows you can bring the capital to a standstill with 8 tractors

jmayo wrote: »
    For anyone that thinks the Gardai should come the heavy hand maybe check out how successful the Mayor of the Hague was when he decided that only 75 tractors would be let into the city centre.

Hundreds just broke their way in over beaches, crossing dual carriageways and through parks.

And lads you can fooking bleat all you want, but they are on their way home, just be fooking glad that the lad with the Abbey slurry spreader didn't bring a load ala the French.

Lol-We’ll them give them a tip , the next time he’s in Dublin with the slurry spreader if u see the wheels sagged from the weight beware!

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Every Saturday there are some crowd of ***** ****ing up the traffic in Dublin so these gob****es might as well do it.

That’s their poor wives going up for a bit of shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

gozunda wrote: »
    Nice ...

Yes a garda was a prick. Many are from my experience.

Just shows you can bring the capital to a standstill with 8 tractors

Imagine what they will do when the 400 comes!

LillySV wrote: »
    That’s their poor wives going up for a bit of shopping

Probably after collecting the rent of u !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

How many tractors were in Dublin today?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    How many tractors were in Dublin today?

What’s the prize for getting the right answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Enjoying vegan January, these tractor boys might just give me the extra bit of motivation to continue on long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

No point arresting them anyway.

They'll be out on bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All going well on the M50.

Don't try to go southbound today, you wont get home til 9 tonight.

https://twitter.com/ColmHand/status/1217862350327427073

Where are the Gardai?

All this whinging because they don't want to get a different job.

• Advertisement

Probably after collecting the rent of u !

Haha no, the only money they get from me is the few cent they get from my meat purchases! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lol-We’ll them give them a tip , the next time he’s in Dublin with the slurry spreader if u see the wheels sagged from the weight beware!

If the Gardai were to do as the dubs and townies wants it would soon escalate into France and by fook then they would know what hit them.

Although seeing some of the absolute bullcra* written here I would say some couldn't have the cop on to move out of the way poor devils.

BTW you can even notice the Dutch quite happily cycling by lines of tractors.
    Obviously they are not as precious as the cyclists we have here.

Some of whom I am sure have in their time held up quite a few countryfolk from going about their business on one of their lycra clad excusions out to view the countryside.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'd probably get in trouble here if I was to call those farmers scum... but their behaviour is scummy. They mustn't care about having any public support.

I wouldn't generally be favourably disposed towards environmental taxes, but I think these lads could do with some more carbon taxes to soften their cough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If the Gardai were to do as the dubs and townies wants it would soon escalate into France and by fook then they would know what hit them.

Although seeing some of the absolute bullcra* written here I would say some couldn't have the cop on to move out of the way poor devils.

BTW you can even notice the Dutch quite happily cycling by lines of tractors.
    Obviously they are not as precious as the cyclists we have here.

Some of whom I am sure have in their time held up quite a few countryfolk from going about their business on one of their lycra clad excusions out to view the countryside.

Ruddy-faced farmer in a gilet alert ranting about 'townies' alert. See my tractor, marvel at its large wheels.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Ruddy-faced farmer in a gilet alert ranting about 'townies' alert. See my tractor, marvel at its large wheels.

Groundhog Day -Ear to the ground is on RTÉ at 7 !
    No getting away from them today !

Forgot - emmerdale is on virgin media - lucky u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So arrest them. Have telescopic cranes to lift their vehicles onto flatbed trucks and only return them once the fines are paid. If they can’t pay them, crush the vehicles. Boggers aren’t above the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So arrest them. Have telescopic cranes to lift their vehicles onto flatbed trucks and only return them once the fines are paid. If they can’t pay them, crush the vehicles. Boggers aren’t above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

. See my tractor, marvel at its large wheels.

Seem to be a few on here in awe of the auld tractor alright. It can do more damage if you lose control of it than a double decker bus or a 40 ft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

That is brilliant.

Want a bet , I suppose u think we’d give them a hand to lift them on the flat bed lorry’s !
    Most of the Gardai are boggers anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Want a bet , I suppose u think we’d give them a hand to lift them on the flat bed lorry’s !
    Most of the Gardai are boggers anyway!

The only reason they're getting away with all this must be because they come from beef farmer stock like chief farmer protector jmayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All going well on the M50.

Don't try to go southbound today, you wont get home til 9 tonight.

https://twitter.com/ColmHand/status/1217862350327427073

Look at that... are they the actions of well meaning and reasonable people ? They are not. I don’t have one inch of sympathy for them. They are bully boy, intimidatory and downright dangerous tactics. Not to mention probably illegal..Where are the Gardai ? Exactly, nowhere....

If I’m a politician watching that I’d be wanting and intending to dig my heels in to be preventing them achieving their aims... it’s a pretty low point in the states history not only witnessing that but the state and law enforcement enabling and supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Would I be correct in saying that an M50 protest has never been attempted before? Have the taxi drivers done it?

I suspect this will backfire badly.

And so it has come to pass. The most moronic protest of all, the farmers will have zero sympathy now inside the commuter counties. Exactly the people they need to win over, although the government's hands are tied really in terms of the action they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

the farmers will have zero sympathy now inside the commuter counties.

Time to have a "boycott beef week" in Dublin.

Time to have a "boycott beef week" in Dublin.

I don't think anything like that would ever take off, but if the farmer thought that this stunt would help focus minds on their plight, well then they are very mistaken.

The commuter belt will transition from apathy to outright hostility if this is to become a feature of farming protests. It should be remembered that those protesting represent only themselves however, who are a small minority of farmers.

I’d seriously doubt (ok it is FG and that smarmy fûck Varadkar) that politicians will look at that behavior today and think anything else aside from... “well we can do something about that”

Firstly get on to the commissioner, get the Gardai to put up a blockade, check and make sure that each and every vehicle has...

*insurance
    *tax
    *is roadworthy
    *driver is carrying their license
    *breathalyze if a suspicion of alcohol

These people have no qualms about disrupting and causing havoc and danger for everyone else, it’s time to do the same back and focus their minds to the reality that while they feel strongly about the subjects they are protesting about, you can’t right wrongs or fix problems by causing more problems and difficulty for your fellow citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of my former farming landlords had 4 sons. none of whom had any interest in farming. They were all far too highly "educated" for that.
    I wonder if current beef farmers are encouraging their kids to get into the business. I would imagine not given how tough they apparently have it? Does this mean we'll see a reduction of beef farming in the coming years?

I’d seriously doubt (ok it is FG and that smarmy fûck Varadkar) that politicians will look at that behavior today and think anything else aside from... “well we can do something about that”

Firstly get on to the commissioner, get the Gardai to put up a blockade, check and make sure that each and every vehicle has...

*insurance
    *tax
    *is roadworthy
    *driver is carrying their license
    *breathalyze if a suspicion of alcohol

These people have no qualms about disrupting and causing havoc and danger for everyone else, it’s time to do the same back and focus their minds to the reality that while they feel strongly about the subjects they are protesting about, you can’t right wrongs or fix problems by causing more problems and difficulty for your fellow citizens.

That won't happen immediately because you'd effectively make martyrs of those individuals. They'd get away with city centre protests and maybe one more M50 go slow, before the state would be forced to escalate in response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hopefully the main supermarkets will further reduce the prices that they are paying these idiots.

Such as? Maybe if more of us grew more food? many already do. Basics would be fine.
    gozunda wrote: »
    I think that goes with all protests tbh. Just saying

The thing is if we let this go to its logical conclusions- the only thing available will be crap produced in some hellhole most likley with slave labour and bugger all standards or regulations.

Not the direction I would like to see us going tbh.

Plenty of market regulation of capitalist ecomonies already

Most countries support food production in some firm or other.
    The system needs to change because at the moment it's only supporting good man & co and orther massive resellers.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Hopefully the main supermarkets will further reduce the prices that they are paying these idiots.

Now now - they’ll block both sides the next day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

ebbsy wrote: »

Maybe we should stop producing altogether. No farmers, no food. :cool:

WOW! Just... WOW!

For someone lecturing farmers to give up and change jobs because they are not paying very well, why don't you take your own fooking advice.

BTW where do you suggest they go look for work and do you suggest they sell their family home in the process?

I am sick of this type of shyte that is often laced with they were/are rich and only want more money.
    Yes they want more money because at the moment the vast majority of them are operating at a loss.

And yes they do get taxpayer subsidies, but so has lots of areas including ordinary citizens who own homes and get grants to improve insulation, etc.
    Every fooking foreign multinational in this state has been subsidised in some way or another.
    Some obviously more than others.
    And yes they create jobs, but so do farmers in their own way.

They use contractors, they buy supplies in local coops, local hardware stores, fuel suppliers, etc.
    The raw materials they produce keep people in work in meat factories and creameries.

And yet more shyte pedaled around here, usually by certain vegan loons, about why we produce so much more beef and dairy than we eat.

If that argument was used world wide no fooker outside of the Carribbean would have a banana or we would never see oranges, pineapples or grapes to name but a few.

It is infantile lunacy.

We produce stuff for export, actually one of our few true indigenous exports that can't disappear overnight based on the whims of a foreign corporate executive or foreign government.

And as others have said if we don't produce someone else will, probably someone with much lower standards and environmental responsibilities.

It is like the disingenuous shyte that is now spoofed about how animal farming is evil incarnate and we all need to go veggie.

What people firstly don't realise is that horticulture and cereals production is not some environmental loving alternative.
    There are huge amounts of fertiliser, pesticides, insecticides and soil health damaging processes in those forms of intensive agriculture.

Secondly most of that produce has to be imported because we simply do not have the climate or soils to grow enough.

It is like listening to a tofu and quinoa munching and almod milk guzzling vegan loon lecture people about the evils of pollution from meat and dairy and yet their food has to be shipped half across the world and from farms that were once a wildernesses.

That won't happen immediately because you'd effectively make martyrs of those individuals. They'd get away with city centre protests and maybe one more M50 go slow, before the state would be forced to escalate in response.

I think after today, a lot of people will be looking at the state and saying... “if this goes down again you BETTER be ready”. The army have a couple of variants of Mowag tanks, if they needed to be used as a roadblock or whatever to protect life / property , so be it...

Maybe we should stop producing altogether. No farmers, no food. :cool:

Ah patsy , might actually End up with money if we did that !

I think after today, a lot of people will be looking at the state and saying... “if this goes down again you BETTER be ready”. The army have a couple of variants of Mowag tanks, if they needed to be used as a roadblock or whatever to protect life / property , so be it...

U probably also forgot we have more licensed guns than anyone else in the country , not to talk of the ones that are still hidden !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

All protests of this nature aim to discomfort the public and have done since protesting began.

The idea is to get the conversation going and attention focused on the issues.

Well I'm convinced.

I'll pay them an extra fiver a kilo out of my own pocket.

Jim 77 wrote: »
    It's very unlikely they'll be paying contractors to run their business while they're protesting, more likely, family or neighbouring farmers will do it for free. If they're livestock farmers then they could do the necessary checks and/or feeding before heading off for the day and then check them again when they return.

7 days a week, day and night.......

U probably also forgot we have more licensed guns than anyone else in the country , not to talk of the ones that are still hidden !

Farmers prevented from achieving their aims, attempt mass disruptions and dangerous chaos with tractors and other industrial agricultural vehicles , army and Gardai intervene.... GUNS... yes, not a lot of people will sympathize with you, thank fûck. When you can’t achieve your aims by peaceful means, shoot people, right, jesus, this is what we are up against.

Farmers prevented from achieving their aims, attempt mass disruptions and dangerous chaos with tractors and other industrial agricultural vehicles , army and Gardai intervene.... GUNS... yes, not a lot of people will sympathize with you, thank fûck. When you can’t achieve your aims by peaceful means, shoot people, right, jesus, this is what we are up against.

Was only answering the previous poster threatening the army on us !
    I already said earlier I don’t agree with the m50 and I doubt most other farmers would agree with it either !

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »
    That applies to nearly every protest ever held in Dublin

They beat the students off the street. They beat the lefties out of an empty Anglo Irish Bank building.

You talk sh1t my friend.

Advertisement