Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just walked through the tractors. What the f*ck does this even mean?

Now that's something I can get behind. If they're slaughtering the vegans, sign me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The hack of some of these farmers on the protest, look like extras from The Hills Have Eyes. Any chance they can fcuk off back from where they came and stop disrupting ordinary people going about there business.

This is the type of vicious bullsh1te we are dealing with. Says a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Joe Duffy has jumped on the banwagon now on behalf of all dubliners, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yurt! wrote: »
    And as I stated before, the primary producers are over inflating their role in the value chain.

Enormously. Farmers are basically supplying a raw material - vital enough as a starting point, but the bulk of the value is added later. When is the last time you seen a cow for sale in Tesco?

Joe Duffy has jumped on the banwagon now on behalf of all dubliners, so to speak.

Listening here.

That farmer put him in his box.

If fat joe had actually bothered his hole to go down and do basic research he might have more of a clue

He gets paid well enough for it. Clown of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Yurt! wrote: »
    He ran a highly successful processing business over the course of decades and became a large player in the international beef business evidently.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/des-larry-albert-and-saddam-husseins-iraq-26433190.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Goodman#War_in_Iraq_and_emergency_legislation

Yeah so successful he had to ring his mate Charlie and get the Dail to convene in the middle of the night and pass emergency legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

on behalf of dubliners?
    Christ its the capital city, protests are to be expected.

Rural Ireland has been put down and told to keep quiet and mocked for long enough.
    This has been a long time coming, and most people seem to be supportive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bennyl10 wrote: »
    on behalf of dubliners?

Rural Ireland has been put down and told to keep quiet and mocked for long enough.

They're not. And they won't be later when they're stuck in traffic for hours. Pissing off normal people is not the way to get things done and it will achieve nothing as it will set an awful precedent.

What a bunch of losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

on behalf of dubliners?

Put down how? You all want to live in a mansion in the middle of nowhere and want the services of the capital to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

boggerman1 wrote: »
    I'm a farmer and don't support this nonsense.they blocked the factories for nearly 8 weeks and achieved sfa.this bull of a stroke now in Dublin will really get ordinary people's backs up.shame on these lads and when u see some of the people who are speaking on behalf of us farmers,some of Gemma Doherty's buddies,then no thanks.sorry people of Dublin

Some people are tired of the same old shyte and the platitudes rolled out by ministers.
    When people are being pushed up against the wall they eventually start getting bolshy.

And maybe some of the farmers are viewing what their European counterparts have done and think it might be worth a shot.

And yes to really achieve something maybe they should target the homes of certain businessmen and the HQs of certain retail chains for maximum effect.
    The EU will step in with more subsidies,grants or another sweetener for the farmers at the expense of another sector and they will all be happy.

Just remember the EU subsidies are basically keeping the price of the food you put into your mouth artifically cheap.
    Ever wonder how come the price of everything else has gone up over the years but the price of food is basically coming down?
    If that's the case, take it to the garda or EU level. Disrupting ther people that subsidise their industry and local authorities isn't the way to go.

And yet another who doesn't quite grasp what all those subsidies are actually doing.
    can you drive a tractor on the m50? :D

Yes.
    Remember the M50 is mostly 100k.

And you can drive a tractor with 50K box on any motorway.
    People in Dublin are keeping most of the country afloat.

Shure jaysus the world would end but for Dublin. :rolleyes:

Careful where you walk.
    Why don't you go down and really tell them what you think of farmers rather than pestering us here.
    Now's your chance.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Put down how? You all want to live in a mansion in the middle of nowhere and want the services of the capital to boot.

Yeah, that just bollix though isn't it?

I have seen campaigns in rural towns to keep the A&E open a couple of more hours or maybe have an extra ambulance, no where have I ever seen anyone demand the level of services in Dublin.

You made that up didn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

jmayo wrote: »
    Shure jaysus the world would end but for Dublin. :rolleyes:

Take Dublin out of the country and you'd all be living in mud huts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Having a great laugh at the anger from down the country, lads. Do keep it up.

I'd say traffic here is normal but with the rain it slows it up a bit. Not as bad as a blockade of tractors obviously.

There are so many issues that need to be addressed

No-one wants the services of the Capital. If you honestly belief this is some capital jealousy thing then go travel down the country and see what it's like

Even look at Limerick, a city, which has one Hospital expected to cover Clare, south Tipperary and the full county.

If thats the level of ****e one of our major cities is subject to, how do you think Rural communities with a lot less resources than that are treated?

No-one wants a mansion, what they do want is fair pricing for their work.

They were promised talks organised by the department, they havent happened, this is the next step.

If some people have to go a bit longer to get home then so be it. They'll still get home, and might have to leave a little earlier in the morning to get to their job. and there'll be an abundance of transport options to get them to their work

A job the majority will get a fair, reflective wage for.

That's all the farmers want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Fuc all wrong with that - lol
    Throw in no restrictions on drink driving , high speed broad band, Lidl in local country store with cheap beef,
    special offer on vegan burgers on a Friday with the dole I just collected from the new post office !
    U have deal man
    The lonious monk for Taoiseach

Now aren’t we a reasonable bunch after all !

Ffs I wish I could demand more money from my students but they'd tell me to f*ck off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

No-one wants the services of the Capital. If you honestly belief this is some capital jealousy thing then go travel down the country and see what it's like

Even look at Limerick, a city, which has one Hospital expected to cover Clare, south Tipperary and the full county.

If thats the level of ****e one of our major cities is subject to, how do you think Rural communities with a lot less resources than that are treated?

No-one wants a mansion, what they do want is fair pricing for their work.

They were promised talks organised by the department, they havent happened, this is the next step.

If some people have to go a bit longer to get home then so be it. They'll still get home, and might have to leave a little earlier in the morning to get to their job. and there'll be an abundance of transport options to get them to their work

I have never known a time in my life when them fcukers haven't been giving out about something.

Be it to sunny, too wet, too dry, too snowy, milk/dairy prices, feed prices, beef prices, lamb prices, the list is endless.

They can go sh!g off as far as i'm concerned. We'll import that quality cheap stuff from Brazil instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Nal wrote: »

How long would the Dubs last without the country supplying it? Self sufficient now is it?

How long would the Dubs last without the country supplying it? Self sufficient now is it?

Hmmm, whatever would we do. HANG ON , let's import it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

on behalf of dubliners?

Dublin people should cut down on beef consumption and thus create an oversupply resulting in cheaper beef.
    There are plenty options.
    If an industry can't make profit out of their goods they go out of business or start making products that people will buy

Hmmm, whatever would we do. HANG ON , let's import it!

Good luck maintaining your standard of living doing that. Are youse self sufficient in labour there too, because last time I looked there was a massive daily and weekly influx of people living in the country into 'your city' to keep you going.

Edgware wrote: »
    Dublin people should cut down on beef consumption and thus create an oversupply resulting in cheaper beef.
    There are plenty options.
    If an industry can't make profit out of their goods they go out of business or start making products that people will buy

Let's shut down Dublin Bus and The Dart so.

Good luck maintaining your standard of living doing that. Are youse self sufficient in labour there too, because last time I looked there was a massive daily and weekly influx of people living in the country into 'your city' to keep you going.

WTF has that got to do with farmers?

Ffs I wish I could demand more money from my students but they'd tell me to f*ck off.

Are you not already fleecing them enough for grinds?

WTF has that got to do with farmers?

The poster said this:

failing of course to realise that people live in a country or on an island in a symbiotic relationship.

The cities wouldn't function without the rural economy and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thick culchies think they keep Dublin going. I've heard it all now :D

Boggles wrote: »
    The Minister works there.

I imagine blocking a boreen in Kerry wouldn't be an effective enough protest.

Why not protest in Charleville / Mallow / Fermoy, y'know areas within the constituency that Minister Creed was elected?

It was actually really pleasant walking Baggot St today, no cars at all on it because of the blockade at st Stephen's green. I wouldn't mind if they left those tractors there, the street was so peaceful and you don't have to walk on a tiny footpath while cars speed by.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »

But, they do?

If you told everyone from outside Dublin to leave and stay out, the place with be a ghost town, and the economy of the city would all but collapse.

The fact Dubs don't seem to comprehend just how many people from the other corners of the country are here(mostly not by choice), and are vital, is baffling

T

The cities wouldn't function without the rural economy and vice versa.

What do you think rural Ireland does for the cities, that the cities couldn't just as easily do without, or find an immediate replacement for?

What do you think rural Ireland does for the cities, that the cities couldn't just as easily do without, or find an immediate replacement for?

Is that a serious question?

Are you living in that opaque a bubble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

[HTML][/HTML]
    Let's shut down Dublin Bus and The Dart so.

No. We will keep subsidising them because we need them. We can survive without overpriced beef

You sound grumpy slattsy. The 20c placepots not working out?

But, they do?

If you told everyone from outside Dublin to leave and stay out, the place with be a ghost town, and the economy of the city would all but collapse.

The fact Dubs don't seem to comprehend just how many people from the other corners of the country are here(mostly not by choice), and are vital, is baffling

yeah, sure

but be careful on both sides not to lump us in with "the farmers"

rural ireland (and the dublin diaspora thereof) aint "the farmers"

• Advertisement

Is that a serious question?

Are you living in that opaque a bubble?

Yes.

Do you have an answer?

I don't doubt that people from outside Dublin contribute to the capitals great success but that is simply down to our own resource/talent pool shortages.

Otherwise we'd build a wall for the lot of ye ;)

I don't doubt that people from outside Dublin contribute to the capitals great success but that is simply down to our own resource/talent pool shortages.

Otherwise we'd build a wall for the lot of ye ;)

dublin gaa should be split into dubs and culchies

ye feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It was actually really pleasant walking Baggot St today, no cars at all on it because of the blockade at st Stephen's green. I wouldn't mind if they left those tractors there, the street was so peaceful and you don't have to walk on a tiny footpath while cars speed by.

Merrion Row, most of Stephens Green was very pleasant to walk around this afternoon. Makes a good case for pedestrianising parts of the city.

Grafton Street was still doing good business despite consumers having less access to parking and ability to drive in to city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

It would be like always if Dublin had an underground rail system paid for with the money to roll out the Rural Broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 memyself33

[HTML][/HTML]

No. We will keep subsidising them because we need them. We can survive without overpriced beef

You can thank the processors for the overpriced beef.

The farmers cut has been falling consistently.

[HTML][/HTML]

Living under the delusion that farmers only supply you with beef I see.

And we are all subsidising your 'services' in the city, without a benefit to us. Include also most of your entertainment venues and entertainers, parks, airports, libraries, galleries on the that list of non profit making entities requiring subsidy. Your over abundance of schools and sports venue and clubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

As a farmer myself this kind of sh*te is just embarrassing. It's so bloody stupid and unimaginative. This is the kind of crap you'd expect to see on Reeling in the Years 1988. Making a massive nuisance of yourself isn't going to make the jackeens appreciate the genuine plight we're going through. This makes us look like a bunch of f***ing eejits. I wish to God someone in the IFA had the balls to call out these fools.

Jesus Christ, can you imagine if the travelers or vegans or anti-abortion crowd or the [insert preferred group here] blocked up traffic on their roads and interfered with their work. Hearts and minds lads. Good job.

Yes.

Do you have an answer?

I will pass engaging on that thanks. Too big a hurdle to climb if that is the depth of your ignornace tbh. You probably require a full time course.

jooksavage wrote: »
    As a farmer myself this kind of sh*te is just embarrassing. It's so bloody stupid and unimaginative. This is the kind of crap you'd expect to see on Reeling in the Years 1988. Making a massive nuisance of yourself isn't going to make the jackeens appreciate the genuine plight we're going through. This makes us look like a bunch of f***ing eejits. I wish to God someone in the IFA had the balls to call out these fools.

Jesus Christ, can you imagine if the travelers or vegans or anti-abortion crowd or the [insert preferred group here] blocked up traffic on their roads and interfered with their work. Hearts and minds lads. Good job.

Fair fcuks to ye, for calling it as most see it

But, they do?

The fact Dubs don't seem to comprehend just how many people from the other corners of the country are here(mostly not by choice), and are vital, is baffling[/quote

Ah they do , don’t they know little jimmy doing his ag science and Mary from the country studying to be a nurse pays there rent on investment property !
    U can close coppers as well without the culchies students to drink there Guinness while they snort there coke - lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fair fcuks to ye, for calling it as most see it

You can always tell the ones that made it was passed first class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

jmayo wrote: »
    Just remember the EU subsidies are basically keeping the price of the food you put into your mouth artifically cheap.
    Tbh, this kind of discussion never gets anywhere because its nothing to do with the actual state of affairs.

Isn't the starting point that the bulk of our agricultural produce is exported, and a lot of what we actually eat (whether we are urban or rural dwellers) is imported.

As an aside, I remember having an unproductive conversation with a farmer a while back, when I was making this point to him. I took as my example Supervalu freshly squeezed grapefruit juice - which has a label claiming its from County Carlow.

I point out the primary ingredient of this particular Irish food product was flown into the country and taken out of the city on the back of a truck.

"How do you know?" he stonewalled.

How did I know that some farmers in County Carlow didn't grow grapefruit in commercial quantities? I dunno, I must have made it up.

Honest, clear conversations are in short supply on this topic.

You can always tell the ones that made it was passed first class.

Funny bastard - lol
    I’d say he got the intercert - 4 honours 3 passes

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Why are the bloggers protesting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement