Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Farming Protest @ Dublin City Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah so is that what all those tractors were doing - delivering water?.:D:D

This has got to be some of the weirdest shít i've read on after hours in a long time.

Go on, give us a clue even as to why we wouldn't have any water only for you!

I'm an urban dweller my friend. Who understands I depend on the environment around me. I.E. not living in a self centred bubble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No. What I said was try maintaining a potable supply into any urban area without a functioning rural economy and infrastructure. Dublin was/is considering taking water from the Shannon.

Why would that need a "functioning rural economy" ?

I'm no wateroligist or anything, but i'm fairly sure what's needed there is big pipe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

gmisk wrote: »
    Roads seem to have been cleared can see plenty of buses around merrion square, is protest over?

They've said that if they don't get their way they are going to blockade distribution centres from 15th December.

Over for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They've said that if they don't get their way they are going to blockade distribution centres from 15th December.

Over for now.

what kind of distribution centres? I hope they block the M50, that'll really annoy people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

For the moment..but behave or we'll be back:cool:
    I am quaking in my boots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Happy that those total losers have scampered back to whatever foul silage shanty they eke out their miserable existence in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Over for now.

That's how brainless they are.

And what will happen on the 14th of December?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm an urban dweller my friend. Who understands I depend on the environment around me. I.E. not living in a self centred bubble

I'm not questioning that i need food, milk and so on - farm produce. The question is why do i need yours? They have cows in practically every country in the world, same thing carrots and cabbages - i don't "need" rural Ireland for anything whatsoever.

I just don't care if you can't make a living selling cows. Sell something else and stop whinging, just like everyone else would have to.

And take that fairy curse off our water....it's fúcking cheating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That's how brainless they are.

And what will happen on the 14th of December?

Let them wait till the 15th and do a Gaddafi on them , use artillery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The Nal wrote: »
    Happy that those total losers have scampered back to whatever foul silage shanty they eke out their miserable existence in.

While you're living the life stuck on a packed bus until 7pm!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm no wateroligist or anything, but i'm fairly sure what's needed there is big pipe!

You collect your water from a catchment and pipe it to the city.
    What you don't want is water that is contaminated with a load of chemicals.
    It is best practice to keep the bad stuff out of the water rather than have to spend a fortune cleaning it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This is brilliant :D

Too used to the Irish government fawning over them and the EU giving them money for nothing. They need a good dose of perspective and a kick up their self-entitled holes.

Dublin, do your food shopping early and sit in at the fire laughing while these tosspots get their day out - "mammy I'm on da telly in my massy!" :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Keep subsidising their broadband, infrastructure and Mcmansions, I guess.

Cheaper than giving us free house in ballymun or Tallaght

You work away there with your 'pipe' sb. :D:D

I remember kids coming over to here from inner city London one time who at 12 and 13 had never seen a cow. I could kinda understand it in London but didn't actually believe that anyone in Ireland could be so divorced from their surroundings, but there you go, we have them here too.

Love to pump the water we **** in up to u! Might be better than u recycling ur own it’s having an effect on ur brain !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

All the guys I know farm part time, they tell you there is no money in it but won’t give it up and somehow they all are living in much bigger houses than I have. The ordinary Joe in the PAYE job is being fooled here again.

Yes it's a well paid job but those big houses cost and then the apartment in Spain and the flat for the kids in Dublin, two cars and a jeep.
    You want to try it some time...... But it's a well paid job.:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It's marvelous how uppity some Irish have gotten ever since they got jobs with or due to one of those US multinational tax avoidance entities.

Listening to some you would swear they were from San Francisco, Seattle, or Austin never mind London or the backar** of some Dublin estate.

All it takes for them to shyte their pants is for a US administration to make a tiny change in their tax laws.

And if they hate the country so much then why can't they stay to fook out of it of a weekend never mind prancing around it in garish ill fitting skin tight lycra.

I am not allowed discuss …

Antares35 wrote: »
    This is brilliant :D

Too used to the Irish government fawning over them and the EU giving them money for nothing. They need a good dose of perspective and a kick up their self-entitled holes.

Dublin, do your food shopping early and sit in at the fire laughing while these tosspots get their day out - "mammy I'm on da telly in my massy!" :pac:

I wish RTÉ would bring back glenroe and landmark !
    Might fill up your boring week sitting in ur with your 40inch Harvey Norman bargin tv.
    Ur pcp car and Relaxing in your semi d or Appartment that cost 4/5 hundred thousand and worth 50k in real terms !
    That u won’t have paid back until next century!
    Listening to the neighbours either fighting , riding or shooting them selves when there ****ed up enough from coke !

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    It's marvelous how uppity some Irish have gotten ever since they got jobs with or due to one of those US multinational tax avoidance entities.

Listening to some you would swear they were from San Francisco, Seattle, or Austin never mind London or the backar** of some Dublin estate.

All it takes for them to shyte their pants is for a US administration to make a tiny change in their tax laws.

And if they hate the country so much then why can't they stay to fook out of it of a weekend never mind prancing around it in garish ill fitting skin tight lycra.

And when we do visit the country we see you've ruined it on us with the ugly mcmansions everywhere and every bit of land a cattle farm.

Local countryside for local country people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Akabusi wrote: »
    All the guys I know farm part time, they tell you there is no money in it but won’t give it up and somehow they all are living in much bigger houses than I have. The ordinary Joe in the PAYE job is being fooled here again.

Have you ever thought that they can afford to build a house due to fact they are working and not just farming?

Have you ever thought that they can afford to spend more of their mortgage on an actual house size because they don't have to pay over inflated prices for the land it sits on ?

Have you ever thought that a lot of them are builders/contractors which means they have helped build the house themselves rather than expecting someone else to build it ?

Nah thinking about those things might be a bit too realistic and sure it's easier to simplify it down to "farmers are rich".

And here was me thinking that shyte died out in the 90s with the end of mad yokes in Labour and the unions.

PS they don't give up the farming because it is a way of life, not just a job.
    A job is something you can walk away from after work, a farm never stops.
    Animals and plants don't switch off after 5pm on Fridays to switch on again at 9am on Monday.

I am not allowed discuss …

And when we do visit the country we see you've ruined it on us with the ugly mcmansions everywhere and every bit of land a cattle farm.

And wait till we have countryside littered with turbines to supply power to Dublin .
    Dropping leads out your 4/5 storey Appartment’s to charge something like a smart car !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I see the plan to turn urban against rural (and vice versa) is going well.

And wait till we have countryside littered with turbines to supply power to Dublin .
    Dropping leads out your 4/5 storey Appartment’s to charge something like a smart car !

I kinda like the turbines

• Advertisement

I kinda like the turbines

Ur a funny guy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Question for a farmer posting here

Out of all of the different "type" of farmer, rank them please from most to least profitable currently. I'll give you an example in case you may be confused

Most profitable from top to bottom
    Dairy
    Cattle
    etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

elperello wrote: »
    New York city pays farmers in upstate NY to protect the watersheds that supply the city's pipelines.
    Yeah, but is that just paying them so they don't farm in a way that pollute the water supply? They're not actually growing the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Did they apply to be allowed protest in the manner that they did or did they just turn up?

I would like to know what the Guards plan to do if they try and block the main arteries into the city, I would hope there would be arrest with the tractor taken away.

Balf wrote: »
    Yeah, but is that just paying them so they don't farm in a way that pollute the water supply? They're not actually growing the water.

Well no they don't grow the water.
    It's a bit complicated take too much typing to explain.
    Better you just Google water cycle.

• Advertisement

I'm not questioning that i need food, milk and so on - farm produce. The question is why do i need yours?
    And Irish farmers mostly produce just a few products (dairy and livestock, especially beef), mostly for export. Dairy and beef account for two-thirds of total production.

The food we - and they - actually buy and eat is frequently imported.

The only bit that needs explaining is, indeed, that their presence isn't an essential part of the New York water supply.

Their presence could pollute the New York water supply, so the city pays them not to.

Well no they don't grow the water.
    Better you just Google water cycle.

If nothing else this thread reveals how disconnected some people are to their own survival

If nothing else this thread reveals how disconnected some people are to their own survival

And we won’t mention racism!
    Don’t need a different skin colour for it here in this country- lol

These are beef farmers. Many of us dont touch the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I think the issue is because Irish farming is heavily concentrated in a few products, largely intended for export, I'm unlikely to find Irish products for many of my food needs.

Irish farmers mostly produce beef, pork, lamb and dairy. Oh, and poultry, eggs and mushrooms. If you're looking for something else, you're probably looking at imports. Ironically, the main center for growing fresh fruit and veg is North County Dublin. We even import shedloads of potatoes.Ah, yeah, the point isn't whether folk can make a living from generating products made by imported foodstuffs.

The point is that Irish farmers are not contributing to that. If Butlers chocolates win Irish Food Exporter of the Year (which they did in 2011), its not because of the high quality of locally grown cocoa beans.

"How do you know?", my tropical Irish farming buddy might respond. Because if the facts don't suit us, we should just bludgeon our way through.

Well there's spuds carrots and cabbage and a host of vegetables too. A large variety of fruits and berries.
    There's an immense amount of stuff out there, like organic variations of all your normal fast grown stuff.
    We don't or can't grow certain things because of our climate so they have to be imported and that's a fair point too, so Butlers etc have to import some materials, your everyday cup of tea or coffee is a prime example, you cant beat a cup of Barry's tea :).
    The beef here is first rate stuff because of strict controls that are absent in a lot of countries, our climate leads to rich grass for beef production and less chemical feeds going into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Love to pump the water we **** in up to u! Might be better than u recycling ur own it’s having an effect on ur brain !

You're all about sh1t and pumps and the like. Wouldnt know a good frappuccino if if it slapped you in the face.

I wouldn’t either full of hormones and drugs !
    Mixing it with yer recreational drugs might only give u a horn for a week !

Indeed, like all the Irish farming families who get their basic food needs in Lidl like the rest of us.
    Well there's spuds carrots and cabbage and a host of vegetables too. A large variety of fruits and berries.
    Well, no there isn't. We maybe meet half of our fruit and veg needs from domestic production - where farms in North County Dublin are actually the main producers.

How does that fit in with the mythology? If one of those beef farmers eats a domestically produced spud, it was probably grown by a Dub.

You're all about sh1t and pumps and the like. Wouldnt know a good frappuccino if if it slapped you in the face.

As the general once said - I know what a good Frappuccino is , that’s the stuff comes out my hole that we’ll recycle and send up to u to drink !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

what kind of distribution centres? I hope they block the M50, that'll really annoy people.

Sure you dont like car drivers - surely you'd be happy with someone blocking up the M50 no?

You loose tbh. It's a premium whole food with a global reputation for quality. Btw who are these 'many'? Do you mean the small number of irrational anti-Irish agriculture produce extremists? - and that even though a recent EU study has shown that using a full life-cycle approach, Ireland’s extensive grass-based systems produces the lowest GHG emissions in the EU for dairy animals and the fifth lowest for beef in the EU ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must say they had some fine looking tractors up for the day. Never knew you could buy a tractor in lime green either, some classy looking machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

RTE news would leave you thinking there was unanimous support for what these farmers are doing in Dublin. Deliberately misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Indeed, like all the Irish farming families who get their basic food needs in Lidl like the rest of us.
    Well, no there isn't. We maybe meet half of our fruit and veg needs from domestic production - where farms in North County Dublin are actually the main producers.

How does that fit in with the mythology? If one of those beef farmers eats a domestically produced spud, it was probably grown by a Dub.

Aye but a dacent farmer dub, none of your cosmopolitan vegetarian climatoligist ones, he gives us his spuds, we send him up his steak, roast and stew and he's thankful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

I think maybe Francie was referring to the fact that Beef exports last year were worth 2.5 Billion to the Irish economy (not counting live cattle exports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd support the farmers. I'd say the beef industry are bastards to them. They have form.

I heard one great speaker outline the payment they get for a cow versus cost . Basically their grant is used to raise the cow and they have no wages (they claim).

The only criticism I'd have, it is like the boy who cried wolf. Because they have done very well from grants, tax breaks eu etc.

The income of farm is always evasive, and it is true they somehow used to get educational grants for kids , when clearly they were wealthy enough kids ?

I'd love to see a full list of grants available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

As someone inconvenienced by the protests I say fair play to them.

State of the nation protests are what's needed. Place seems to be falling apart across most Ministry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    As someone inconvenienced by the protests I say fair play to them.

State of the nation protests are what's needed. Place seems to be falling apart across most Ministry's.

Agree. It’s gone to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

What's the solution? The market usually pays the going rate according to my leaving certificate economics.

Is there too much supply for the current demand? If the meat processors are making a huge profit why are new meat processors emerging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Local countryside for local country people.

You farmers, you don't like outsiders, do you? You like to stick to your own.

If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there's a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who's also your brother.

Advertisement