Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling rules of the road

Options
  • 27-11-2019 8:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I understand I have to cycle in the same direction as traffic. Do I have to use a cycle lane if there's only one and it's on the opposite side of the road?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I understand I have to cycle in the same direction as traffic. Do I have to use a cycle lane if there's only one and it's on the opposite side of the road?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I understand I have to cycle in the same direction as traffic.....
    You are traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

You never have to use a cycle lane, unless it's contra-flow and that's the direction you're travelling (i.e. it's a one-way street with a cycle-lane going the opposite direction).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. you are part of traffic just like cars, busses, taxis and so on. You are just as entitled to use a regular driving lane or bus lane despite the horn blowing idiot behind you.
    2. just to clarify, we don't have cycle lanes. We have part of a normal traffic lane painted differently. If there is a solid white line separating the cycle part (e.g. here) then drivers must ensure that their vehicle does not cross the solid white line.
    3. Cyclists do not have to cycle on a cycle path and from experience, most times a cyclist is better off not using a cycle path due to the poor surface (stones, shores, leavs, parked cars, etc).
    4. as mentioned, you must use a contra-flow if that's the direction you're travelling

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The "regular" Rules of the Road contain specific sections covering cycling and cyclists

• Advertisement
Advertisement