Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam controller on Switch?

• 27-11-2019 9:30am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    I got an alert this morning, from Steam that ubiquitous electronic games store, that the Steam Controller is being sold off for the low low price of €5.50.
    So, logged into my Steam account and bought one, with shipping it comes to around €18.
    Now, the controller is a really interesting device, using two concave touch pads instead of sticks, and was going to be the primary controller for a range of Steam OS consolized devices which never took off.

Seems that these controllers can also be used on the Switch, wired either using a laptop or Arduino board to do the translating or using a new method of custom firmware for the controller, to be seen below:

I don't have a decent controller for my PC anyway, but this looks particularly cool and I'm always on the look-out for a new way to my Switch!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Instead of all that faffing about, if your PC has bluetooth (or you grab a bluetooth USB cheaply) you can use your excellent Wii U Pro Controller on PC...

Which for anyone with a decent PC means that they could play backups (or for anyone with an eyepatch and a peg leg...) of Wii U games on the excellent CEMU emulator using a proper Wii U controller using a simple mapping program http://www.wiinupro.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah now, don't going and raining on my parade!
    More as likely this will end up on my pile of crap in the Gamesroom aka the attic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was talking about this in the PC Bargains thread. I have a 360 controller for PC and it's great.
    Haven't played anything on CEmu, but have used it for Dolphin and it works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was talking about this in the PC Bargains thread. I have a 360 controller for PC and it's great.
    Haven't played anything on CEmu, but have used it for Dolphin and it works great.

The Xbox one controllers are better again, but I love my pro controller, and the button layout is right, rather than reversed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Got the 360 controller years ago and as long as it works, no need to go for the One controller. It's wired but long cable so couch play is still possible.
    Haven't tried the Pro controller on PC yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

sys-con seems to be sweet enough - it's for exploited Switch units which allows the use of DS3, DS4, & 360 controllers, all at the same time if you so wish!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHaxing/comments/dzpjtc/syscon_is_awesome_ps4_ps3_xbox_360_controllers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Interesting. I got Overcooked 2 to play over the Christmas with the family but I only have the Joycons for co-op. But if this works we can put it on the TV and use the Steam and Pro controllers.

might try this out as just got a switch and bought celeste and the left joy-con is rubbish for movement.

have a steam controller so will give this a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUJ4h14IKs

Advertisement