Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wahoo KickR

Options
  • 27-11-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭

Anyone using the KickR with zwift and how do you rate it, I have a the taxc vortex smart but I am looking for something to improve/keep me interested with indoor training and I am wondering about going for the KickR and the KickR Climb.

Waste of money or a good upgrade ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sure if you have the money go for it, will definitely be the best indoor training experience, though you'd need to drop another €600 + on a good TV.. so about €3300 in total:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wahoo-kickr-ultimate-zwift-bundle/rp-prod177241

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Sure if you have the money go for it, will definitely be the best indoor training experience, though you'd need to drop another €600 + on a good TV.. so about €3300 in total:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wahoo-kickr-ultimate-zwift-bundle/rp-prod177241
    I've the apple tv 4 and a 32 inch tv already being used so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

jamesd wrote: »

Rouvy are trialling a Beta version with apple tv for free not bad

benneca1 wrote: »
    Rouvy are trialling a Beta version with apple tv for free not bad

I've never tried Rouvy, been zwifting for 2 winters so maybe worth a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I bought the Kickr Core and I’ve been using it for just over 2 weeks, 5 days per week. I live in a shared apartment on the third floor and train in my room. The full set-up was in excess of 1000euro which is a lot of money for me.
    • Kickr Core
    • Additional cassette for the trainer
    • Apple TV
    • Mat
    • Zwift subscription
    • Fan
    Overall I am really satisfied with the money spent. It’s my first trainer so I can’t compare but I do find it very quiet. Most of the noise comes from the bicycle’s drive-train and occasionally from the magnetic brake when you make sudden efforts. One disappointment was that my 2019 Canyon Ultimate was not compatible. When mounted, the chain stay would get pushed into the trainer and damaged. I emailed Wahoo and they basically told me there was nothing to be done and advised that I should not use spacers or grind-down the trainer to make my bike fit as this would void the warranty. I ordered some spacers from Ebay and the bike now fits a treat. Canyon has also very recently extended their warranty to include trainer usage (which they had to because they’re pushing their partnership with Wahoo a lot, including that e-team they’re launching). I have not done any out-of-the-saddle riding on the trainer but there seems to be no reason I couldn’t do this (although you’d probably need to use a different technique as you can’t rock the bike).

I also own the Elemnt Bolt and this connects easily with the trainer. You can manage the trainer using the Bolt. I haven’t really done this.

In the past 2 weeks I’ve found Zwift fun. There is a small library of pre-prepared training sessions you can choose from which adjust automatically based on your FTP and the library can be sorted based on how much time you have. You can also create your own training sessions. There are group rides on Zwift and you can chat with people (I’d recommend getting the companion app to do this) and there are lots of short races you can do to really push yourself.

A few other thoughts: there is a lot of sweating and a fan + ventilation is essential; my gooch goes numb when I ride for longer than 60 mins – probably a bike fit issue but it’s not a problem when I ride outdoors; when I first used the trainer there was an awful grinding from the drive-train (I'm guessing because the chain had 5000km on it but the cassette was brand new). This was fixed by putting a new chain on the bike.

[sorry I just noticed you said you already own a trainer so most of my post might not be relevant as you're already familiar with the costs etc]

• Advertisement

Good stuff....

If you're planning on buying the Kickr plus the Wahoo climb and fan, the go all out and buy a cheap 2nd hand bike, or a frame with a drivetrain, handlebar/saddle and use that as your training bike... no need to use your main bike and save any issues..

I bought the Kickr Core and I’ve been using it for just over 2 weeks, 5 days per week. I live in a shared apartment on the third floor and train in my room. The full set-up was in excess of 1000euro which is a lot of money for me.
    • Kickr Core
    • Additional cassette for the trainer
    • Apple TV
    • Mat
    • Zwift subscription
    • Fan
    Overall I am really satisfied with the money spent. It’s my first trainer so I can’t compare but I do find it very quiet. Most of the noise comes from the bicycle’s drive-train and occasionally from the magnetic brake when you make sudden efforts. One disappointment was that my 2019 Canyon Ultimate was not compatible. When mounted, the chain stay would get pushed into the trainer and damaged. I emailed Wahoo and they basically told me there was nothing to be done and advised that I should not use spacers or grind-down the trainer to make my bike fit as this would void the warranty. I ordered some spacers from Ebay and the bike now fits a treat. Canyon has also very recently extended their warranty to include trainer usage (which they had to because they’re pushing their partnership with Wahoo a lot, including that e-team they’re launching). I have not done any out-of-the-saddle riding on the trainer but there seems to be no reason I couldn’t do this (although you’d probably need to use a different technique as you can’t rock the bike).

I also own the Elemnt Bolt and this connects easily with the trainer. You can manage the trainer using the Bolt. I haven’t really done this.

In the past 2 weeks I’ve found Zwift fun. There is a small library of pre-prepared training sessions you can choose from which adjust automatically based on your FTP and the library can be sorted based on how much time you have. You can also create your own training sessions. There are group rides on Zwift and you can chat with people (I’d recommend getting the companion app to do this) and there are lots of short races you can do to really push yourself.

A few other thoughts: there is a lot of sweating and a fan + ventilation is essential; my gooch goes numb when I ride for longer than 60 mins – probably a bike fit issue but it’s not a problem when I ride outdoors; when I first used the trainer there was an awful grinding from the drive-train (I'm guessing because the chain had 5000km on it but the cassette was brand new). This was fixed by putting a new chain on the bike.

[sorry I just noticed you said you already own a trainer so most of my post might not be relevant as you're already familiar with the costs etc]

Thanks very much, I saw that with canyon allowing use on trainers only a few weeks ago.

Good stuff....

If you're planning on buying the Kickr plus the Wahoo climb and fan, the go all out and buy a cheap 2nd hand bike, or a frame with a drivetrain, handlebar/saddle and use that as your training bike... no need to use your main bike and save any issues..

I am very tempted to go for the kickr, climb and I am wondering about the fan as its expensive but looks very good.
    Ive my old cube for the trainer so I will leave that there for the winter as saves swapping in and out.

Im holding out until black friday to see if they do something on discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Good stuff....

+1
    I use an old beat up 1985 raleigh record fitted with a 105 groupset (minus the brakes) and just leave it on the turbo, I didn't trust it for the road as it was quite a bit rusted but no reason you can't use similar.

Also there is a thread on here about fans, a cheap one will do exactly the same as the expensive ones I think mine was 29.99 with 4 speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Why do you need an apple TV if you have a TV already? Is it just something to install Zwift to? Would a cheap android box work or is Zwift Apple only?

• Advertisement

Why do you need an apple TV if you have a TV already? Is it just something to install Zwift to? Would a cheap android box work or is Zwift Apple only?

Zwift works really well on the apple tv, I was running it on a pc but the apple tv just works and no messing around with it.

Well worth waiting for Black Friday Sale with Wahoo.

Certified Reconditioned - 2018 Edition KICKR Smart Trainer €569.10
    KICKR CLIMB Indoor Grade Simulator €447.14
    KICKR Headwind Bluetooth Fan €186.99
    KICKR Trainer Floormat €56.90

Subtotal €1,260.13
    Shipping & Handling €0.00
    VAT (VAT 23%) €289.83
    Grand Total €1,549.96

From talking to Wahoo today there is the pre 2018 Kickr's and then the 2018's onward Kickr models and they all have been improved, I asked them are the refurbs the same models as they are selling for full price now and they said yes but they may have some marks on the chasis but have the improved belts and everything else done to them with the same 2yr warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Well worth waiting for Black Friday Sale with Wahoo.

Certified Reconditioned - 2018 Edition KICKR Smart Trainer €569.10
    KICKR CLIMB Indoor Grade Simulator €447.14
    KICKR Headwind Bluetooth Fan €186.99
    KICKR Trainer Floormat €56.90

Subtotal €1,260.13
    Shipping & Handling €0.00
    VAT (VAT 23%) €289.83
    Grand Total €1,549.96

Kickr Showing as €699 euro on the website ?

Kickr Showing as €699 euro on the website ?

Yes that's the price with the vat added to it.

From talking to Wahoo today there is the pre 2018 Kickr's and then the 2018's onward Kickr models and they all have been improved, I asked them are the refurbs the same models as they are selling for full price now and they said yes but they may have some marks on the chasis but have the improved belts and everything else done to them with the same 2yr warrenty.

I went back to Wahoo this morning just to be sure again
    "
    The refurbished models are of our latest edition trainers and there is no newer model that supersedes them. You can be confident that you are receiving one of our latest edition KICKRs and it will have been brought up to current factory specifications.

"

Advertisement