Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 day warranty in the shop, after that go to the manufacturer.

Options
  • 27-11-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know the ins and outs of this?

Bought a games console the other day from a well known Irish retailer, it's a Xmas present for two of my kids, but the sales assistant told me to check everything out before Christmas, as they'll only stand over it for 28 days, and after that it's the manufacturers problem.

I assume they mean anything goes wrong with it inside 28 days they'll replace etc no questions asked, and after that they'd have to send off to the manufacturer for a warranty claim?

Surely they don't expect me to deal with the console parent company myself?

Never had this before, hence why I'm asking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retailer are required to deal with anything under Irish legislation. I'd read this as saying they will submit anything for potential repair after 28 days instead of a direct immediate swap - which is legal assuming the repair is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

L1011 wrote: »
    Retailer are required to deal with anything under Irish legislation. I'd read this as saying they will submit anything for potential repair after 28 days instead of a direct immediate swap - which is legal assuming the repair is permanent.

Thanks L1011, that's what I was assuming, and hoping was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Not consumer related on a games console but it is advisable to set these up before Christmas morning as there is sometimes updates that need to be installed before it is up & running and these can take time, so kids might be very impatient waiting for their console to get up and running, plus you can feel sure that it is all good and doesn't need to be returned to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Was it Smyths?

Is it possible they were talking about returns?

Smyths have an unwanted gift policy whereby they will refund purchase in full within 28 days, after that it is at the stores discretion. T&Cs are on their website. Were they advising you to check it out that it is the right present and bring it back within 28 days, after that it’s up to the shop manager.

Unwanted Item

We are happy to exchange or refund merchandise items if returned within 28 days of purchase, provided the goods are unused, unopened and in all original packaging. Goods must be accompanied by a valid Smyths Toys receipt.

If you wish to return an unwanted item outside of the 28 days, the decision to accept the item is at the discretion of the Store Manager.

For product integrity and hygiene reasons we are unable accept a return on Software and Nursery (Baby) items if the product has been opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Of course the retailer should look after it, but in my 10 years dealing with returns / repairs its much quicker and easier if the consumer rings the manufacturer and deals direct. Most of the big companies will collect from your door and return, or give you a ref code to go to the retailer to replace the product straight away.

The retailer shouldnt fob you off though if you chose not to go down that road but I can safely say the likes of Sony, Apple, Microsoft any way offer far better customer support for their products than your local retailer can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy online you have 2 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

It is as it sounded. If you bring a console back to Smyth's they will tell you to contact the manufacturer. It is an easy process and won't cost you anything. It will also be faster and save you driving to Smyth's.

I'm sure legally they probably have to take it back but I'm sure they would argue the above in court so not worth anyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I dont get OPs logic, how does retailer supposed to know when item will be opened and used, surely it would be pulling a mickey claiming yeah bought it 2 months back but opened just now and it broke two weeks later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Buy online you have 2 years....
    Jibberish
    iamtony wrote: »
    It is as it sounded. If you bring a console back to Smyth's they will tell you to contact the manufacturer. It is an easy process and won't cost you anything. It will also be faster and save you driving to Smyth's.

I'm sure legally they probably have to take it back but I'm sure they would argue the above in court so not worth anyone's time.

Be careful, you have ZERO contract with the Manufacturer, by bypassing the retailer you are weakening your rights should something subsequently go wrong e.g. you go straight to manufacturer after 18mths when something goes wrong, they fix it and then 3 months later something else goes wrong so you decide to go back to the retailer and they will tell you sure when the manufacturer fixed it a while back they could have caused the new issue, nothing to do with us anymore, it was your decision to bypass us a few months ago

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Jibberish

Be careful, you have ZERO contract with the Manufacturer, by bypassing the retailer you are weakening your rights should something subsequently go wrong e.g. you go straight to manufacturer after 18mths when something goes wrong, they fix it and then 3 months later something else goes wrong so you decide to go back to the retailer and they will tell you sure when the manufacturer fixed it a while back they could have caused the new issue, nothing to do with us anymore, it was your decision to bypass us a few months ago

What's jibberish....

Go look it up we are better protected with online electronic purchases.

Normal would be 12 months but online purchase gives you 24 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What's jibberish....

Go look it up we are better protected with online electronic purchases.

Normal would be 12 months but online purchase gives you 24 months.

I'll say total jibberish too.

Can you give a link to this brand new legislation that you talk about?

Please ensure that you link to Irish legislation.

As for the op, whilst your contract lies with the retailer, they tend to outsource the warranty to the manufacturers agent.

The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and in many cases, the warranty is better than the statutory rights.

So whilst it does not negate the store's responsibility, it is mostly much easier and far quicker to deal direct if you have a warranty issue.

As for the sales rights, it's the statute of limitations that is six years that you could claim for, but it's not automatic and a consumer must show that a fault was a manufacturer fault.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'll say total jibberish too.

Can you give a link to this brand new legislation that you talk about?

Please ensure that you link to Irish legislation.

As for the op, whilst your contract lies with the retailer, they tend to outsource the warranty to the manufacturers agent.

The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights and in many cases, the warranty is better than the statutory rights.

So whilst it does not negate the store's responsibility, it is mostly much easier and far quicker to deal direct if you have a warranty issue.

As for the sales rights, it's the statute of limitations that is six years that you could claim for, but it's not automatic and a consumer must show that a fault was a manufacturer fault.

It's EU law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It's EU law.

Ireland did not introduce this law into our legislation, each EU country can decide whether to adopt it, but our SOGASA was thought to offer better consumer protection.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/ireland/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

You deal with the retailer, the retailer deals with the manufacturer which is supported by all pieces of consumer friendly legislation .

It can be easier to to bypass the retailer as they can be incompetent and just deal with manufacturer.

Retailers can only get a RMA within the first 30 days or so depending on the product. They generally want to have no contact with you once the sale is closed.

Advertisement