Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Searches

Options
  • 27-11-2019 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

I work at a retail outlet.

As part of the staff security procedure, employees when leaving the store through the staff entrance, staff members were required to press a random search or go button. Should the search sign show on the screen, staff would then show the insides of their bags and sign a sheet to say that you were seached.

As of last week the random search button has been removed and we have been told by security that ALL staff members will have to show the contents of their bags. Now staff members have now been told that all members bags will be searched upon leaving the store and also external items of clothing must be opened to show that they are not hiding something beneath their clothing.

This latest security "procedure" seems to have appeared out of the blue and staff have not been informed about any changes in protocol. It also seems to be very invasive. Even if jackets are opened, you are still required to open them up and in some cases taken off for security before leaving the store.

Female staff members feel extremely uncomfortable with an all male security team asking them to remove clothing.

I generally didn't mind the old procedure of opening up my backpack and letting them have glance inside but this seems like a step too far.

Is this legit? It seems a bit over the top and invasive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As for the legality I wouldn’t have an idea, we’ll need someone with some legal or whatever background to confirm that.

It’s 100% not ethical, 100% not acceptable though.

Effectively what they are doing is placing every team member under suspicion of theft, a crime without cause... insisting employees are lined up and searched is Naziesque...and ‘probably’ illegal.

If they have suspicions that there is theft going on they need to investigate fully, using cameras, covert surveillance and other investigation techniques.

Lining everyone up for an invasive search before they can go home is unsatisfactory, it’s lazy and I would not put up with it... “hello valued employee, before we ‘allow’ you to leave for home we are going to physically search you to make sure you haven’t nicked anything”.... madness, find another job away from these cûnts...

If a security person tried to prevent me from leaving work at the end of a shift for ‘whatever’ reason I’d be calling the Gardai, ambulance or most likely both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The security company were contacted. They said it would have been an order issued by the store not the security company.

Basically, when you leave the store for lunch they look through your bag and tell you to open your jacket. If your jacket is open then they want it open wider.

A lot of people are finishing work at 5pm or 9pm then it's basically a queue to get out. So everyone is lined up. "Bag, unzip your jacket, Wider".

There is no formal complaint procedure within the company without going through the store management, who have issued the order. So you'll basically complain to the person you're complaining against to inform their superiors that they are complaining about them. Fat chance that the complaint will ever leave the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You weren't notified of this change, so is there anything to be said for all staff together need to stop complying with it and just leave the office?
    Or you can only leave when buzzed out?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Contact mandate and unionise your workplace

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You weren't notified of this change, so is there anything to be said for all staff together need to stop complying with it and just leave the office?
    Or you can only leave when buzzed out?

Nobody was notified by the change. It just happened one day. You can only leave the store via one entrance of which you pass by security.

The old procedure was when passing the security desk, you press a button that would trigger a random response of "Pass or Search". It used to be about 1 in 10 would be "Search" then it seemed like every second one would be search, then we think it went up to about 9 in 10 were "search".

People were generally fine with the old system until it went to about 9in10. You'd be waiting about 15 minutes just to leave the store at night as the queue was massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

If all staff refuse to open jackets etc and just stand there have you been kidnapped/detained against your will?

Have you clocked out?

Everyone could run up an hour or two overtime by not opening your jackets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Female staff members feel extremely uncomfortable with an all male security team asking them to remove clothing.

As a generally sensitive female when it comes to this kind of thing, even I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about being asked to take off my jacket.

The overall situation is a bit ****. Is there an recent employee handbook that talks about searches? http://www.workplacerelations.ie/ have an enquiry form that you could start with to see if there are any guidelines around personal searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭jmreire

If this is a new requirement, and it come's from the management, I'd presume that it's in response to an increase in theft ?

Pronto63 wrote: »
    If all staff refuse to open jackets etc and just stand there have you been kidnapped/detained against your will?

Have you clocked out?

Everyone could run up an hour or two overtime by not opening your jackets!

Staff would have clocked out before. A lot of staff are not required to clock out as they are essentially contractors.

Thoie wrote: »
    As a generally sensitive female when it comes to this kind of thing, even I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about being asked to take off my jacket.

The overall situation is a bit ****. Is there an recent employee handbook that talks about searches? http://www.workplacerelations.ie/ have an enquiry form that you could start with to see if there are any guidelines around personal searches.

A lot of the women in work are saying they are uncomfortable with it. It an all male security staff. The old security manager (he's gone now) was suspended for sexual harassment, so there is a general mistrust of security.

I contacted them earlier, I am awaiting response but thank you.

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    If this is a new requirement, and it come's from the management, I'd presume that it's in response to an increase in theft ?

Apparently stock went missing a couple of months ago but this was boxes of stuff, not exactly stuff you'd put in your bag or carry out of the staff entrance. If it was stolen, it went out through the loading bay or a fire exit.

It's obviously in response to theft. Blame the thieves not the management or security.

I would imagine staff have agreed to security searches when they sign their contracts?
    Can't see the type of searches would make any difference once they are, in general, agreed to

I spoke to somebody at Mandate. They said they tried to introduce this at other outlets but it was resisted. They had to reintroduce the old random search system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I spoke to somebody at Mandate. They said they tried to introduce this at other outlets but it was resisted. They had to reintroduce the old random search system.

Mandate are very good - it will have to be collectively resisted and the trade union will help with that

It's obviously in response to theft. Blame the thieves not the management or security.

Blame the management...

That their hiring procedures and checks are not robust preventing thieves being hired..

That their security is not adequate enough that instead of covert surveillance and other techniques identifying the ACTUAL culprit they are demanding to search all employees on leaving the building... by doing so they are casting suspicion on each and every victim of the search.. unsatisfactory,

Personally I’d walk out , refusing to be searched and see what happens...if they lay a glove on you defend yourself...you don’t need to be working in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Under gdpr request all electronic and paper data they have on you including CCTV if you've been on it.

I done so in work.

Might be time for you all to play the game.

Have thefts increased or have staff been found to be stealing?

Strumms wrote: »
    Blame the management...

That their hiring procedures and checks are not robust preventing thieves being hired..

That their security is not adequate enough that instead of covert surveillance and other techniques identifying the ACTUAL culprit they are demanding to search all employees on leaving the building... by doing so they are casting suspicion on each and every victim of the search.. unsatisfactory,

Personally I’d walk out , refusing to be searched and see what happens...if they lay a glove on you defend yourself...you don’t need to be working in that environment.

I worked in retail back in the 90’s. After some stock went missing it was normal procedure for every bag to be searched as we left the store. It was summer time so coats weren’t worn much, but if they were, they were to be removed before bag search. This search was just a brief glance into the bag. Unfortunately, you get chancers in every large organisation. Once the culprit was identified searches were reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Might be time to re read your job description and stop doing all the extras not included. Work to rule basically.

Retail management usually rely on a lot of goodwill from their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This happened in a place I worked. Absolute pain as the extra time meant bus missed.

Most of the girls started to use very small handbags that would only hold essentials. Leave their jacket off until checked. Our uniforms were trousers and blouse/shirt so wouldn't hide anything.

The thief was eventually caught and measures relaxed again.

• Advertisement

I worked in retail back in the 90’s. After some stock went missing it was normal procedure for every bag to be searched as we left the store. It was summer time so coats weren’t worn much, but if they were, they were to be removed before bag search. This search was just a brief glance into the bag. Unfortunately, you get chancers in every large organisation. Once the culprit was identified searches were reduced.

All I can say is, if I worked in a company who requested me to empty my pockets via a search or open a bag as I left the building I’d simply refuse. My personal property is contained on my person and in my bag. It’s fûck all of anyone else’s business what I have with me. If they tried to initiate a disciplinary I’d refuse to cooperate. If they attempted to fire me I’d sue them...

I’ve worked in retail all be it some years ago and never had that requested of me despite having access to tens of thousands of euros to hundreds of thousands of euros of valuable goods on a daily basis, both in the shop stores and shop floor...there was security and cctv all over the place that seemed to prove adequate and deter as well as verify nothing was going awol..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All I can say is, if I worked in a company who requested me to empty my pockets via a search or open a bag as I left the building I’d simply refuse. My personal property is contained on my person and in my bag. It’s fûck all of anyone else’s business what I have with me. If they tried to initiate a disciplinary I’d refuse to cooperate. If they attempted to fire me I’d sue them...

I’ve worked in retail all be it some years ago and never had that requested of me despite having access to tens of thousands of euros to hundreds of thousands of euros of valuable goods on a daily basis, both in the shop stores and shop floor...there was security and cctv all over the place that seemed to prove adequate and deter as well as verify nothing was going awol..

Some places will have it in ones contract and as some things maybe case sensitive they may have to to protect themselves.

If theft has increased this is a way to prevent.

More CCTV and better protocols are most likely needed.

Some places will have it in ones contract and as some things maybe case sensitive they may have to to protect themselves.

If theft has increased this is a way to prevent.

More CCTV and better protocols are most likely needed.

Just refuse, if you believe your staff are on the nick you need to invest in better background checks as regards two or three verifiable good reference checks.. and as for the act of theft it needs to be witnessed either in person or by CCTV. I’m not going to be working for anyone of such a lazy bastárd unscrupulous nature seeking to check my person or bag routinely on the way out of a job...

“ Mr Strumms, before you leave we need to examine your bag and person “

“ ehhh no, I do not consent to that, I’m leaving goodbye “

If at any point your employer would attempt to block your exit as an intimidatory method of you opening up your bag and or person to be checked...without your consent...

the first thing is that you call your local Garda station on your mobile and advise that you are being held against your will.

After the call film the subsequent interactions on your mobile. This will worry and antagonize. Don’t try and leave. They won’t be thinking clearly, it might be that the security (rarely the brightest anyway) having their back put up against the wall will attempt to get hold of your device...that will escalate to assault, on camera and verifiable.

Mention on the arrival of the Gardai that once the footage has been shown to them it will be published on social media and you will seek a solicitor , that WILL get heads rolling...

Just refuse, if you believe your staff are on the nick you need to invest in better background checks as regards two or three verifiable good reference checks.. and as for the act of theft it needs to be witnessed either in person or by CCTV. I’m not going to be working for anyone of such a lazy bastárd unscrupulous nature seeking to check my person or bag routinely on the way out of a job...

If at any point your employer would attempt to block your exit as an intimidatory method of you opening up your bag and or person to be checked...without your consent...

the first thing is that you call your local Garda station on your mobile and advise that you are being held against your will.

After the call film the subsequent interactions on your mobile. This will worry and antagonize. Don’t try and leave. They won’t be thinking clearly, it might be that the security (rarely the brightest anyway) having their back put up against the wall will attempt to get hold of your device...that will escalate to assault, on camera and verifiable.

Mention on the arrival of the Gardai that once the footage has been shown to them it will be published on social media and you will seek a solicitor , that WILL get heads rolling...

If searches are being carried out, the employee has obviously agreed to them on commencing employment.
    Behave as you suggest and I very much doubt that you’ll ever work there again.

Strumms..I have worked for company's where checking bag's coats etc were carried out, and I never had a problem with it. One reason was that I was never reduced to stealing, and for me, at any rate, if some one has an objection to being searched then I would have my suspicions about that person. ( bags coats etc. we are not talking strip search's here ) One company I did work for became insolvent and closed. One of the reasons it closed was due to wholesale theft. There were other reasons too of course, but the theft was the straw that broke the camel's back. So go ahead, and insist on your right's. But before you do that, I'd recommend reading the small print in your contract. Be a shame after calling the Police and accusing the security staff of all kinds of wrong doing, that they were within their right's in searching their staff. I have no time for thieves of any kind, big or small, if the store security catch them, well done !!!

Strumms..I have worked for company's where checking bag's coats etc were carried out, and I never had a problem with it. One reason was that I was never reduced to stealing, and for me, at any rate, if some one has an objection to being searched then I would have my suspicions about that person. ( bags coats etc. we are not talking strip search's here ) One company I did work for became insolvent and closed. One of the reasons it closed was due to wholesale theft. There were other reasons too of course, but the theft was the straw that broke the camel's back. So go ahead, and insist on your right's. But before you do that, I'd recommend reading the small print in your contract. Be a shame after calling the Police and accusing the security staff of all kinds of wrong doing, that they were within their right's in searching their staff. I have no time for thieves of any kind, big or small, if the store security catch them, well done !!!

If a company closed due to theft then the issue is...

Why are they hiring thieves ? What sort of lazy assed hiring process can lead to a situation where people are getting passed checks, into a company and as well as getting in are actively stealing without being found out to the extent that the company are forced to close ? Madness.

I’ve worked in companies where a Garda background check was required to be passed before you could start work. I wouldn’t be against this.

If a company closed due to theft then the issue is...

Why are they hiring thieves ? What sort of lazy assed hiring process can lead to a situation where people are getting passed checks, into a company and as well as getting in are actively stealing without being found out to the extent that the company are forced to close ? Madness.

I’ve worked in companies where a Garda background check was required to be passed before you could start work. I wouldn’t be against this.

The Company I speak about did not close solely because of theft,,but for sure it did not help either. Believe me, thieve's do not advertise their thieving abilities on the CV. They can play along, and get well established, and when they have the place well sussed out,,they start thieving.Nowadays, Guarda checks are common place, I've had them done several times...no problem. But still, you will find Company's that go on CV's and Reference's. And as in the OP case, increased checks on staff leaving the building, because there were theft's being carried out. There is an " acceptable" level of "Shrinkage" in most outlets, simply because it's not worth the hassle to go through it with a fine tooth comb, but when the management do react with increased checks, its a sign that the level of theft has become unacceptable, and action has to be taken. Like I have said earlier....if you have nothing to hide, why the fuss?

The Company I speak about did not close solely because of theft,,but for sure it did not help either. Believe me, thieve's do not advertise their thieving abilities on the CV. They can play along, and get well established, and when they have the place well sussed out,,they start thieving.Nowadays, Guarda checks are common place, I've had them done several times...no problem. But still, you will find Company's that go on CV's and Reference's. And as in the OP case, increased checks on staff leaving the building, because there were theft's being carried out. There is an " acceptable" level of "Shrinkage" in most outlets, simply because it's not worth the hassle to go through it with a fine tooth comb, but when the management do react with increased checks, its a sign that the level of theft has become unacceptable, and action has to be taken. Like I have said earlier....if you have nothing to hide, why the fuss?

I simply would consider that if I was requested or required to be searched that it was because I was personally under suspicion. Having your person and personal belongings searched is invasive and an invasion of your privacy. I wouldn’t accept a job where those sorts of practices were acceptable and commonplace. If I was asked to be searched I’d point blankly refuse, they could carry out whatever action they might choose as a result of this refusal but they’d want to have all ducks in a row, legally, every way.

No way in hell am i agreeing to searches of my person or belongings either when accessing or leaving a workplace unless it’s somewhere like an airport where I have worked and acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was a store manager a couple of years ago for a relatively well known Discount retailer and they have had this policy for years. It made it sick to my absolute stomach and 100% I would not do it and just got staff to sign the forum that they had been searched as area managers would check on their visits to make sure they had been done.

Really, and I don't say this lightly but I genuinely believe retail workers are one of the worst treated workforces

• Advertisement

I simply would consider that if I was requested or required to be searched that it was because I was personally under suspicion. Having your person and personal belongings searched is invasive and an invasion of your privacy. I wouldn’t accept a job where those sorts of practices were acceptable and commonplace. If I was asked to be searched I’d point blankly refuse, they could carry out whatever action they might choose as a result of this refusal but they’d want to have all ducks in a row, legally, every way.

No way in hell am i agreeing to searches of my person or belongings either when accessing or leaving a workplace unless it’s somewhere like an airport where I have worked and acceptable.

Given the present litigious society we are living in, I'm pretty sure that any company who would carry out searches of this nature, will have covered themselves in their Terms and Condition's of employment. And it will have been explained in detail to all prospective employee's. So if this is not acceptable to the job candidate, he can just withdraw his application, but once He / She accepts and signs on the dotted line...That's it. I have signed several such documents, no problem. Its pretty much SOP now.

Advertisement