Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Searches

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

Strumms wrote: »
    I simply would consider that if I was requested or required to be searched that it was because I was personally under suspicion. Having your person and personal belongings searched is invasive and an invasion of your privacy. I wouldn’t accept a job where those sorts of practices were acceptable and commonplace. If I was asked to be searched I’d point blankly refuse, they could carry out whatever action they might choose as a result of this refusal but they’d want to have all ducks in a row, legally, every way.

No way in hell am i agreeing to searches of my person or belongings either when accessing or leaving a workplace unless it’s somewhere like an airport where I have worked and acceptable.

I presume you would never take a job where. It was written into the contract that searches could, and would be carried out.

Therefore your gung ho “call the guards” and dramatically videoing stuff on your phone wouldn’t come in to play.

It’s normal procedure in companies all over the country, and the vast majority of people have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Allinall wrote: »
    I presume you would never take a job where. It was written into the contract that searches could, and would be carried out.

Therefore your gung ho “call the guards” and dramatically videoing stuff on your phone wouldn’t come in to play.

It’s normal procedure in companies all over the country, and the vast majority of people have no problem with it.

The vast majority of people are not victim to these practices. I’ve worked all be it briefly in retail and there were none. CCTV, undercover store security and other means of detection and surveillance. Non invasive, respectful and effective without saying to someone... “hey, empty your pockets and bag I want to see did you steal anything, ohhh valued employee”

Employers had more trust in their ability to hire good and reliable non criminals, had more respect for their staff that they were not going to say .... “hey, despite us thinking you were good enough to work for us I still want to check if you are on the nick..”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

The vast majority of people are not victim to these practices. I’ve worked all be it briefly in retail and there were none. CCTV, undercover store security and other means of detection and surveillance. Non invasive, respectful and effective without saying to someone... “hey, empty your pockets and bag I want to see did you steal anything, ohhh valued employee”

Employers had more trust in their ability to hire good and reliable non criminals, had more respect for their staff that they were not going to say .... “hey, despite us thinking you were good enough to work for us I still want to check if you are on the nick..”

Ever fly out of Dublin airport?

You’re taking it far too personally.

Allinall wrote: »
    Ever fly out of Dublin airport?

You’re taking it far too personally.

Of course, do you think security screening in Dublin airport is an anti theft measure ? No it’s EU law adopted in the wake of 9/11...that the majority of reasonable people will say.. “ yep, that’s a good inconvenience for all of our safety.”

Walking out of work however to be subject to searches of your person and personal belongings... unsat..

Of course, do you think security screening in Dublin airport is an anti theft measure ? No it’s EU law adopted in the wake of 9/11...that the majority of reasonable people will say.. “ yep, that’s a good inconvenience for all of our safety.”

Walking out of work however to be subject to searches of your person and personal belongings... unsat..

I wonder would you feel the same if you were the business owner? These searches are visual and non intrusive.

It’s pretty common practice at concerts, race meeting, but on the way into the venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I worked in a retail store years and years ago that had this policy.
    Lads had to lift their t-shirts too regardless of who was behind them.

I openly questioned who checks the manager when she leaves and who checks the security guards.
    Followed it up with a letter to HR.

Searches were stopped. Bag checks only from there on.

I wonder would you feel the same if you were the business owner? These searches are visual and non intrusive.

It’s pretty common practice at concerts, race meeting, but on the way into the venue.

If I was a business owner I’d ensure that I’d carry out the necessary checks, interview and screening process of each and every candidate I was hiring.

I’m not going to be accosting employees on their way home after a days work to open bags, take off coats, lift up shirts, demean them and make them feel like I believe they may have or are capable of stealing from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭jmreire

If I was a business owner I’d ensure that I’d carry out the necessary checks, interview and screening process of each and every candidate I was hiring.

I’m not going to be accosting employees on their way home after a days work to open bags, take off coats, lift up shirts, demean them and make them feel like I believe they may have or are capable of stealing from me...

So as a Business owner, and after all those precautions, and when the selected staff has passed the probation term, you find that your stock is "Shrinking"? What's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Staff would have clocked out before. A lot of staff are not required to clock out as they are essentially contractors.
    If a security search is required before someone can leave the building then clocking out should be after security.

Employees that do not clock in/out should be through security screening by the end of their contracted hours. If they are delayed 15 minutes every day they should present to security 15 minutes before they are due to finish for the day.

jmreire wrote: »
    So as a Business owner, and after all those precautions, and when the selected staff has passed the probation term, you find that your stock is "Shrinking"? What's next?

If you have a business with stock you are going to need to have CCTV... staff could steal, a break in could happen. CCTV will cost to install and operate but much of the cost will be offset by cheaper insurance who will provide you with FAR better premiums once you can tell them you have CCTV...

CCTV is a far better deterrent than hand searching or trying to hand search every staff member entering the building, leaving the building, going on breaks, going to stockroom etc...it’s working as a deterrent, it’s evidential as once caught the thief is on camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was thinking about this a little further OP but I think what I would do almost by way of silent protest to put an item in your bag that will get a reaction.... the stranger that you can find the better, you could get a real kick out of it. Ladies thong one day..... empty can of Tuna the next...... then a dildo.... you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭jmreire

If you have a business with stock you are going to need to have CCTV... staff could steal, a break in could happen. CCTV will cost to install and operate but much of the cost will be offset by cheaper insurance who will provide you with FAR better premiums once you can tell them you have CCTV...

CCTV is a far better deterrent than hand searching or trying to hand search every staff member entering the building, leaving the building, going on breaks, going to stockroom etc...it’s working as a deterrent, it’s evidential as once caught the thief is on camera.

The only real defence against theft, is honest employee's...you can reduce the risk of stock loss by using CCTV etc, but you cannot eliminate it completely.. a thief will plan and plot his theft, and then carry it out.Even searching employees as they leave, may not yield any visible results, yet the shrinkage continues...dishonest people are a fact of life. Unfortunately.

jmreire wrote: »
    The only real defence against theft, is honest employee's...you can reduce the risk of stock loss by using CCTV etc, but you cannot eliminate it completely.. a thief will plan and plot his theft, and then carry it out.Even searching employees as they leave, may not yield any visible results, yet the shrinkage continues...dishonest people are a fact of life. Unfortunately.

I agree, hiring process is most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Staff would have clocked out before. A lot of staff are not required to clock out as they are essentially contractors.

What you all should do is contact wrc as now you are being underpaid by 15 mins, if they want to search all they can but any delay needs to be paid for by employer. Look up apple in america (I know we are Ireland) but same basis applies.

Advertisement