Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2020 in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭I am me123

Got offered a Temporary Clerical Officer position today in the DEASP!
    Anyone know how it all works now for those who have already accepted positions for the 2020 campaign?
    Will you obviously be required to attend work on your first day in.your assigned offices & then work from home after that?

I have been offered an 8 week temporary open contract.

Any information on what to expect on the first day?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

I am me123 wrote: »
    Got offered a Temporary Clerical Officer position today in the DEASP!
    Anyone know how it all works now for those who have already accepted positions for the 2020 campaign?
    Will you obviously be required to attend work on your first day in.your assigned offices & then work from home after that?

I have been offered an 8 week temporary open contract.

Any information on what to expect on the first day?

Thanks in advance.

My TCO role in DEASP was entirely in the office with no working from home options despite starting at the height of the first lockdown. I imagine you will be in the office throughout.

My TCO role in DEASP was entirely in the office with no working from home options despite starting at the height of the first lockdown. I imagine you will be in the office throughout.

Thank you for the info!

What exactly is involved in a 'temporary open contract'?
    Is it possible that your contract may be extended after the 8 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Thank you for the info!

What exactly is involved in a 'temporary open contract'?
    Is it possible that your contract may be extended after the 8 weeks?

Hello, I am also a TCO in DEASP and have been entirely office-based during the pandemic, with no option to work from home. TCO contracts are on an open-ended basis as far as I am aware.

cvb03 wrote: »
    Hello, I am also a TCO in DEASP and have been entirely office-based during the pandemic, with no option to work from home. TCO contracts are on an open-ended basis as far as I am aware.

Thank you.
    What exactly happens after the 8 weeks is up? I have been offered an 8 week temporary open contract.
    Any tips on what to expect on my first day? Feeling a bit nervous.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

cvb03 wrote: »

TCO contract are usually fixed term. I'd imagine they are leaving them open due to the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thank you.
    What exactly happens after the 8 weeks is up? I have been offered an 8 week temporary open contract.
    Any tips on what to expect on my first day? Feeling a bit nervous.
    Thank you.

Don't feel nervous. While it's an unusual day for you, having TCOs around is not unusual for wherever you are going. Like any workplace, you'll meet kind, respectful people and the occasional assh*le.
    The most important thing to do on day one is pay attention to forms they get you to fill in eg pay, data protection, official secrets act etc, write down everyone's name and ask them what unit they're in, write down any information that is said as buzzwords and then take 5 minutes every day or 2nd day with your HEO and ask them those intelligent questions. They'll be glad you did and within a fortnight you'll be running whatever show they have put you in. Don't be nervous at all. Listen carefully to what is said to you. If you're unsure, just ask. A good HEO is glad when their staff are clear on their work.
    Ón the human side, ask about facilities, tea/coffee arrangements etc. Things will be very different re kitchenettes due to Covid. Best to ring the unit in advance and ask about Covid stuff if it's not in a welcome pack to you. No welcome packs when I was a TCO but with Covid, they should be sending you a self declaration form I imagine. At the very least.
    Ring whoever you are supposed to report to, in advance, ask them these key things, and tell them you're looking forward to starting.
    Very best of luck. You'll fly.

Thank you kindly!

Just wondering, I was told in email with the job offer that due to social distancing requirements, that I may be assigned a 'shift work pattern'

What is involved in a 'shift work pattern' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭furrybones

Thank you kindly!

Just wondering, I was told in email with the job offer that due to social distancing requirements, that I may be assigned a 'shift work pattern'

What is involved in a 'shift work pattern' ?

I can't speak for the DEASP but some organisations are alternating when people come into the office. So your team would do 3 days this week, 2 days next week, etc.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Thanks very much for the info.

One more query :

I am currently participating in a Community Employment Scheme.
    I searched MyWelfare.ie & can't find the appropriate section to discontinue my C.E. wages. I have been informed by DEASP that I will need to do this.

I am due to start my TCO job next Tuesday.

Should I contact my C.E supervisor & can they sort this out from.their end?

Help.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for the info.

One more query :

I am currently participating in a Community Employment Scheme.
    I searched MyWelfare.ie & can't find the appropriate section to discontinue my C.E. wages. I have been informed by DEASP that I will need to do this.

I am due to start my TCO job next Tuesday.

Should I contact my C.E supervisor & can they sort this out from.their end?

Help.
    Thanks.

Yes you should contact your CE Supervisor, you normally have to give about one weeks notice if you are leaving a CE job, so I would suggest you contact them ASAP.

Depending on your type of work and the organisation, you may have the option to take a break for the duration of your TCO contract for up to 26 weeks so you could also ask your supervisor about that.

Yes you should contact your CE Supervisor, you normally have to give about one weeks notice if you are leaving a CE job, so I would suggest you contact them ASAP.

Depending on your type of work and the organisation, you may have the option to take a break for the duration of your TCO contract for up to 26 weeks so you could also ask your supervisor about that.

Thank you Mike.
    The organisation where I am completing my C.E scheme closed as per Level 3 COVID 19 restrictions yesterday evening until further notice.
    I got the email from DEASP offering the job after I finished work yesterday evening saying my start date in DEASP was next week.

Should I just contact my Supervisor there directly & explain the situation to them?

Is there a section on MyWelfare.ie to formally stop my C.E. wages & leave scheme?

Thank you

Thank you Mike.
    The organisation where I am completing my C.E scheme closed as per Level 3 COVID 19 restrictions yesterday evening until further notice.
    I got the email from DEASP offering the job after I finished work yesterday evening saying my start date in DEASP was next week.

Should I just contact my Supervisor there directly & explain the situation to them?

Is there a section on MyWelfare.ie to formally stop my C.E. wages & leave scheme?

Thank you

No, because your not technically on SW, you are employed by a CE scheme sponsor. So you need to tell your employer (via the CE Supervisor) that your leaving your job or agree a break.

Do you have a mobile number for the supervisor? their office number may also divert calls to mobile.

No, because your not technically on SW, you are employed by a CE scheme sponsor. So you need to tell your employer (via the CE Supervisor) that your leaving your job or agree a break.

Do you have a mobile number for the supervisor? their office number may also divert calls to mobile.

Thank you.
    Contacted my Scheme supervisor & they are going to try & sort the matter out from their end.

I was told in email with job offer that Ive been offered a 'temporary open contract' for a minimum of 8 weeks.
    Is this standard? Is there a chance I'll be kept on after the 8 weeks? Just a bit confused about that.
    Thanks.

Thank you.
    Contacted my Scheme supervisor & they are going to try & sort the matter out from their end.

I was told in email with job offer that Ive been offered a 'temporary open contact' for a minimum of 8 weeks.
    Is this standard? Is there a chance I'll be kept on after the 8 weeks? Just a bit confused about that.
    Thanks.

Normally TCO contracts are for a fixed term and rarely extended, however my understand is that an open contract is for a "specific purpose".

Your only guaranteed 8 weeks but the contract may be continue for a long as is need. Given the impact on DSP due to COVID, I would think its likely you will get longer.

Thank you.

I was told in email with job offer that Ive been offered a 'temporary open contact' for a minimum of 8 weeks.
    Thanks.

If its deasp you will defo be kept on after the 8 weeks, I am working there at the moment and it's crazy busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thank you Mike.

Thank you

You ARE allowed to take up a second job while you are on a CE scheme .

I would take the DEASP job now, and explain to the scheme what the story is when they ask you to come in again. - that may not be for six to eight weeks depending on how this lockdown goes, any by then you will know if DEASP are likely to extend.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Is the 'temporary open contract' a standard contract that is offered to all new DSP employees?

Would you say there would be much chance of being kept on.after the 8 weeks are up? Is the 8 weeks a probationery period with a possibility.to extend after that?.

Is the 'temporary open contract' a standard contract that is offered to all new DSP employees?

Would you say there would be much chance of being kept on.after the 8 weeks are up? Is the 8 weeks a probationery period with a possibility.to extend after that?.

Yes it seems to be, there are a lot of TCO'S where I am and we have just been told the contract will keep rolling until we hear otherwise, no probation period at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Absolutely not. Most new government employees would start as CO's or EO's etc. TCOs are strictly speaking temps. This year they introduced the ability to run confined competitions which let them recruit to permanent positions from among TCOs only, but I don't know if any departments have actually done this.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not. Most new government employees would start as CO's or EO's etc. TCOs are strictly speaking temps. This year they introduced the ability to run confined competitions which let them recruit to permanent positions from among TCOs only, but I don't know if any departments have actually done this.

Thanks. Also meant to specifically ask are all newly recruited TCOs offered a 'temporary open contract' when offered a position?

P.S. Probably a daft question but has anyone been offered a role in DSP, were you Garda Vetted as part of the recruitment?

At the interview, I submitted the completed Garda Vetting Invitation as part of the rest of the requested documentation at the Interview process, and heard nothing else regarding vetting since this.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

Is Flexi still available to recently appointed TCOs where they're working in the office and it's available to others in the same department working there e.g. DEASP?

I have heard recently appointed COs in The DEASP don't have flexi, whether working from home or in the office!

Just a quick question,

I have been asked to provide a copy of my PPS number & a photo ID on my first day.

I have a Learner Permit & my Public Services Card.

Would these suffice for photo ID & proof of my PPS number?

Thank you

Connacht15 wrote: »
    Is Flexi still available to recently appointed TCOs where they're working in the office and it's available to others in the same department working there e.g. DEASP?

I have heard recently appointed COs in The DEASP don't have flexi, whether working from home or in the office!

Yes Flexi is still available for recently appointed TCO's in DEASP.

Just a quick question,

I have been asked to provide a copy of my PPS number & a photo ID on my first day.

I have a Learner Permit & my Public Services Card.

Would these suffice for photo ID & proof of my PPS number?

Thank you

Yes, they would be fine

Are staff in the DSP required to wear face coverings at work as per COVID 19 regulations does anyone know?

Thank you.

Are staff in the DSP required to wear face coverings at work as per COVID 19 regulations does anyone know?

Thank you.

No they are not required, it's a personal choice as to wear one or not.

Thank you.

On point of information, all public and civil service bodies do have to comply with COVID 19 regulations and the return to work protocol however it is not a requirement to wear a facemask in a job/role were social distancing is observed.

Generally speaking, If you were on a public counter for example it may be a requirement to wear a facemask, however if your working at a back office desk and there is at least 2m between you and the next person its a personal choice as mention above. Normally you will have a pod of staff that you work with regularly and your not meant to mix with others in the workplace.

It is advisable to wear a facemask in public/common areas, canteens or stairwells were social distancing is more difficult, such as going to and from your desk, and if a staff member needs to temporary move between different floor or office area they are usually are required to wear a facemask.

None of that is contrary to COVID-19 regulations, but if you choose to wear a facemask at your desk etc. no one is going to question it however if your role involves being on the phone, you may find it difficult.

Just a quick question, is the first day usually a quiet day, as in new employees (TCOs) will not usually be given a lot of work to do on the first day on the job, is it just general induction, filling out forms, etc?

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Just a quick question, is the first day usually a quiet day, as in new employees (TCOs) will not usually be given a lot of work to do on the first day on the job, is it just general induction, filling out forms, etc?

Thank you.

I can't speak for the DSP but I would think it depends on your role. In my experience, the first days was

1. Filling out HR forms
    2. Introduction to your team / manager
    3. Signing a statutory declaration (which I think depends on your role), and
    4. Straight into training / work.

Although that was pre-covid so thing may have changed now.

In any event its unlikely you'll be rush off your feet on the first day, you'll be lucky if you can login to the computer.

Advertisement