Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not another high vis post 😁😁

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Whatever about hi-vis and cameras etc, I'd advise you to do two things.

1. Use proper lighting on the bike (you do already)
    2. Cycle like you drive. Use the full lane where necessary, do not ride in the ditch but out in the lane where you are most obvious. Signal and pull out in good time for obstructions and use large, obvious hand signals when changing direction/road position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cletus wrote: »
    I personally think that the vast majority of close or dangerous passes could be attributed to the above.
    I don't believe that's the majority - the majority are just pure inpatience (not necessarily punishment passes) and crap driving. I've often said, I'm actually more regularly concerned by passes that give plenty of space, but when it's clear that the motorist cannot see far enough ahead to complete the move safely.

Regarding hi-viz, the bit of kit that makes the biggest difference for me is the Stayin' Alive at 1.5 Gillet... Not a builders vest, not ankle bands, not my proviz 360 or my RBS jacket...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't believe that's the majority - the majority are just pure inpatience (not necessarily punishment passes) and crap driving. I've often said, I'm actually more regularly concerned by passes that give plenty of space, but when it's clear that the motorist cannot see far enough ahead to complete the move safely.

I think the above is more an older generation, used to slower vehicle speeds, less busy roads. I've had to "educate" an OAP who spent his formative years cycle touring!

Regarding hi-viz, the bit of kit that makes the biggest difference for me is the Stayin' Alive at 1.5 Gillet... Not a builders vest, not ankle bands, not my proviz 360 or my RBS jacket...

Do you think that the older generation stopped cycling and driving in their 30s and then started again, when they they started drawing the pension and thus were unused to busy roads.
    With all due respects, your comment sounds just a little little bit condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

I think the above is more an older generation, used to slower vehicle speeds, less busy roads. I've had to "educate" an OAP who spent his formative years cycle touring!

Didn't know anything about the staying alive at 1.5 campaign until now. I think it would be a good idea to get a backpack cover made with the same message put on. That was what I was trying to get across in my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I actually think most close passes i get are younger people who probably never cycled as kids (if they did they cycled on the pavements!) so they have been brought up thinking roads are for motorised traffic only.

In fact, i'd say close passes are universal! Young, Old, Male Female, doesn't matter, they all do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

5CHULZY wrote: »
    Didn't know anything about the staying alive at 1.5 campaign until now. I think it would be a good idea to get a backpack cover made with the same message put on. That was what I was trying to get across in my original post.

It certainly wont do any harm, but I'm not sure it will do any good either, because as i said earlier, visibility is not the issue. The issue is drivers just don't see any reason to give 1.5 meter space when passing cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Whatever about hi-vis and cameras etc, I'd advise you to do two things.

1. Use proper lighting on the bike (you do already)
    2. Cycle like you drive. Use the full lane where necessary, do not ride in the ditch but out in the lane where you are most obvious. Signal and pull out in good time for obstructions and use large, obvious hand signals when changing direction/road position.

That's exactly how I ride. I'm not scared of riding in the middle of the road for my own safety. I find that giving a little thumbs up gesture to drivers as I move out across lanes while signalling to turn right also helps and is appreciated.

Admittedly I have been in the wrong sometimes and I have held my hands up and apologised to the driver. Driver acknowledges this and continues on his way. No abuse whatsoever

Ahh yeah, we O.A.Ps find it difficult to grasp complicated concepts like busy roads, two abreast cycling, speed and busy roads.
    I consider myself now "educated"
    Thanks for the lesson.

This post is a response to a now deleted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If it's going to cause offence, which it wasn't meant to, the mods can feel free to delete it out. It wasn't meant to be a generalisation, although it obviously came across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

There's no worst demographic - young old, middle aged are equally bad. My most terrifying encounter ever was with a psychopathic octogenarian nun in a yaris.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

droidus wrote: »
    There's no worst demographic - young old, middle aged are equally bad. My most terrifying encounter ever was with a psychopathic octogenarian nun in a yaris.
    Did she stop to tell you her age?

If it's going to cause offence, which it wasn't meant to, the mods can feel free to delete it out. It wasn't meant to be a generalisation, although it obviously came across that way.

Not that easily offended.
    Being old, I don't know how to post emojis, but if I did, I'd attach one, that showed tongue firmly in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Did she stop to tell you her age?

Educated guess, though I admit it is often hard to tell with nuns. She could have been 100+

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

droidus wrote: »
    Educated guess, though I admit it is often hard to tell with nuns. She could have been 100+

Nun-skin is basically Neverneverland materialised. Ya gotta pray them wrinkles away!

Advertisement