Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner: what should I be putting now (veg) and over the next couple months?

Options
  • 27-11-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I have plenty of space, and time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not a lot of seeds at the moment, its mostly either too early or too late, unless you have a greenhouse or similar. I don't recall sowing seeds at this time of year, but I think peas are possible.

You can be preparing ground at the moment, getting beds ready, but best of all reading seed catalogues!

Now is a good time for planting fruit bushes, but in terms of veg not a lot, do lots of reading, make notes of what you want to grow and plan out seeds, succession sowing and what you want to concentrate on. Check out RHS and BBC horticultural pages online, loads of info to be swotting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

garlic. that depends on how waterlogged your ground is, i wouldn't be surprised if mine is all drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

you could try onion sets and broadbeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

you could try onion sets and broadbeans.

Agreed, I have broad beans sown at the minute as well as lots of over wintering onions and garlic. Also have some spinach and purple sprouting broccoli growing but it's too late for them for you at this stage.

If you have a polytunnel you could grow potatoes, salads, carrots, etc from January. Main thing for now is to get your beds and your soil in good order.

garlic. that depends on how waterlogged your ground is, i wouldn't be surprised if mine is all drowned.

Mine just started coming up (25/30mm) .
    Those and the winter onions.
    Never grown either before so looking forward to the harvest!

• Advertisement
Advertisement