Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Josepha Madigan wants parents to talk to children about sex education

Options
  • 27-11-2019 5:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

The issue with "leadership" oftentimes is, it may be based on certain characteristics such that an individual commands influence and authority, but that's not to say that authority has been born out of something even remotely worthwhile.

Minister for culture - yet touts ideas that belong in the 15th century.

"It's not the job of educators to talk to children about sexual well being. This is the responsibility of parents".

lolwut??

Is this woman out of touch - or what!?

I mean, not only does someone who exhibits such figurative illiteracy for such an important topic acquire a position of executive control, but some genius actually assigned her that position based on how this entire national issue should be addressed...?
    It's like letting the fat kid guard the pie - amIRite?

Let me do a little Tony Montana for ya'll real quick;

Let me 'splain it to ya'll.

Positions such that an individual can dictate national policy are typically assigned on the basis of refinement in critical thinking, as it pertains to their denominated area.

Madigan - in this case, supposedly has some kind of clairvoyant insights as to heritage and culture (though we all know she was basically afforded the position cause she's invested in and promotes Gaeltacht heritage - some idealist notion the Irish cabinet has been holding onto with their nails since Moses wore short pants).

Sex education embodies - whether you like it or no - the most inflammatory and emotionally difficult-to-broach contents of any conceivable topic, and it needs to be addressed in depth, for quality of life and living, due to its intrinsic relevance to - everyone - but especially kids at that tender age (an age so critical to neurodevelopment) - and it needs to be addressed impartially.

Parents do not hold an impartial position.
    They're parents.
    That's about as partial as you can get.

I'm verging on essay territory so, concisely;

Josepha Madigan is an egg from the old country and has no business dictating cultural policy for a country which has historically struggled to keep up with a fast evolving world - and this topic is a grand mal exemplification of that.

Sex education needs to be more thoroughly researched, an adequate syllabus established by relevant researchers (neuroscience re development, psychology re social relevance etc), and it NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS, not by parents as Madigan advocates.

Okay - well.....?

Say no to drugs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are you on drugs?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

bang on, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

Josepha Madigan is a bit of a fox, isn't she?

Homelander wrote: »

a cougar, perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I would afford her parenting advice, about as much consideration as I would her professional opinions regarding where liability accrues after a fall from a swing and how best to proceed in such an instance.

i.e, none ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yes, if by fox you mean...
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2013%2F03%2F11%2Farticle-2291620-1890719B000005DC-448_634x429.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Also, just say no to conservative religious politicians giving opinions on sex education for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

If parents can't talk to their children about sex then the parents have serious sexual hang ups themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

If parents can't talk to their children about sex then the parents have serious sexual hang ups themselves.

This is Ireland.

You need to be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How can sex be impartial? Its intrinsically about partiality. Unless you believe it's only for reproduction, in which case scientific matching could be useful, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

AmiRite?

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

You love teh gays and don't want anyone holding back the new super-fooked "education" system. I mean, there's nothing easier than isolating and then targeting kids who know no better, insidious but effective.

Like glass, baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A lot of parents lack basic sex ed themselves so would in effect be useless

eviltwin wrote: »
    A lot of parents lack basic sex ed themselves so would in effect be useless

Yeah, exactly. So parents should in fact engage with themselves in sex education in order to understand that it is okay to discuss with kids. There should not be hang ups discussing something so normal, healthy and fundamental to how we behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Yeah, exactly. So parents should in fact engage with themselves in sex education in order to understand that it is okay to discuss with kids. There should not be hang ups discussing something so normal, healthy and fundamental to how we behave.

Good luck with that. You can't expect parents to be impartial, their own bias will come through. Obviously the primary educator is the parent but no reason why it should not also happen in school too

Good luck with that. You can't expect parents to be impartial, their own bias will come through. Obviously the primary educator is the parent but no reason why it should not also happen in school too

Yes, exactly. There is no reason why it can't be both, but my point is that it should be both.

Depends on whether or not topics such as "gender identity" and "gender fluid" ****e is on the curriculum. I would like to have a say in what my daughter is being taught if that nonsense was being touted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bias as it pertains to what

And how young should kids be when these subjects are taught

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Depends on whether or not topics such as "gender identity" and "gender fluid" ****e is on the curriculum. I would like to have a say in what my daughter is being taught if that nonsense was being touted.

Indeed , teaching pre pubescent kids about that kind of stuff is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Just like Paul McCartney pumping money into promoting his albums, sex education has had negligible impact worldwide.

Send all the trillions to me and I'll at least have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Cyrus wrote: »

Don't focus on the wrong part of the story.

This thread wasn't posted with the idea to write an "after hours" determined syllabus for sex education.

It was posted to highlight what sort of an incompetent holds the highest position for cultural implementation in Ireland currently.

Josepha Madigan.

That's who!

Cyrus wrote: »

Bias could be anything from homosexuality is wrong to plain stupidity like you can't get pregnant if you do x, y and z.

I've been talking to my children about sex in an age appropriate way since they were toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sex ed in my school was laughable but we figured it out as did pretty much everyone throughout history as well as all the other animal species. the clinical act itself is pretty self explanatory. its the feelings and emotions involved that no amount of department of education approved classes can prepare you for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes. I used to have dealings with her. Shes really bossy and would always correct me when i said her name wrong. Its josEEEpha.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shes really bossy and would always correct me when i said her name wrong.
    a strict disciplinarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: AH -> CA

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah Josepha.

Sex with no swings attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So she's wrong by the sounds of your home spun curriculum ;)

Don't focus on the wrong part of the story.

This thread wasn't posted with the idea to write an "after hours" determined syllabus for sex education.

It was posted to highlight what sort of an incompetent holds the highest position for cultural implementation in Ireland currently.

Josepha Madigan.

That's who!

Is your problem just Ms Madigan?

Sex education, like all education begins at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I said the exact same thing yesterday to my wife Cressida about our kids, Tarquin and Guinevere.

Advertisement