Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased first home: What to spend left over money on

Options
  • 27-11-2019 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am fortunate enough to have gone sale agreed on a house below market Value. In summary it is a 2005 Semi-D, 4 Bed, GFCH (off common tanks for estate), Electric Hob and oven, Gas fired fireplace in sitting room, double Glaze windows, timber frame house. The BER rating is C2.

I have 9000 Eur left over. left over from the sale so I am starting to think about options for making the house more comfortable.

I plan on getting an air tightness test at the end of January to check for leaks. I think this is a worthwhile investment to inform me of any really bad areas in the house.

Would anyone be able to advise on priority items please?

Thanks

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Spray foam the roof- was building an extension last year n the house changed overnight when the foam went on.
    Air tightness test - meh, probably e500, spend on spray foam instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

enricoh wrote: »
    Spray foam the roof- was building an extension last year n the house changed overnight when the foam went on.

There is insulation in the Attic space and it is always cold when I go up into it. I will ask our structural surveyor to advise on this when he/she comes.

Thanks!

Pessimist here. :)

Don't spend a penny until the keys are in your hands. Sale Agreed isn't Sold, so just don't get carried away in the unlikely event of things falling apart.

Out from that, I'd agree with Spray Foam, and just generally any/all forms of insulation. My brother got the external wrap insulation on his house a few years back and he reckons it was well worth it (cost him about 4-5k i think).

It did change the aesthetics of the house though, so dunno if you'd even really want to do it.

Pessimist here. :)

Don't spend a penny until the keys are in your hands. Sale Agreed isn't Sold, so just don't get carried away in the unlikely event of things falling apart.

Out from that, I'd agree with Spray Foam, and just generally any/all forms of insulation. My brother got the external wrap insulation on his house a few years back and he reckons it was well worth it (cost him about 4-5k i think).

It did change the aesthetics of the house though, so dunno if you'd even really want to do it.

No money spent until Keys are in hand.:)

I will investigate Spray foam. In terms if external wrap thanks for the idea I will explore this also. I dont give a damn about the aesthetics of the house. As karl pilkington put it "in a way your better off being the ugly one looking at nice looking people".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is insulation in the Attic space and it is always cold when I go up into it. I will ask our structural surveyor to advise on this when he/she comes.

Thanks!

Is your attic not meant to be cold?
    Your insulation should be keeping the heat in your house i.e. below the floor of your attic.

Some insulate between their pitched roof beams, which would leave you with a warmer attic.

Read about warm loft versus cold loft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Hang on for 3 or 4 months , you find all sorts ! Leaky pipes , boiler needs replacing , all sorts down drains.

Use it temporarily as a contingency for the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hang on for 3 or 4 months , you find all sorts ! Leaky pipes , boiler needs replacing , all sorts down drains.

This x 100!!

Except I'd give it a year.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is your attic not meant to be cold?
    Your insulation should be keeping the heat in your house i.e. below the floor of your attic.

Read about warm loft versus cold loft.

sorry that's what I was getting at. Cold Attic is a good sign but given the roof is not insulated it would be difficult to detect heat if it was escaping into attic.

Fair point. I also need to look at costs of Gas vs Oil.

The one good thing is I have been renting a house of the same type in the estate and I have not run into any major issues I am happy to say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Oh here where do I start.

Just moving into a new build
    A list of stuff we need to get

Curtains
    Blinds
    Carpets
    Floors
    Alarm
    Heating control
    Bathroom fittings and mirrors
    Lamp shades
    Coffee table
    2 units for living room
    Another bed
    Another sofa

We also bought secondhand 5 years ago, sold to buy this one. List for that house was better
    New kitchen
    New front door
    3 new windows
    New garage door
    New flooring
    Attic insulation
    Alarm
    Front gate

Basically get in with your 9k. Live in it for a month. Start doing a list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I would suggest that you put that money in to a 30 day account or somewhere so that when the time comes, you don't find it has flittered away nearly unbeknownst to you.

If you get to 12 months, and the money is still there, consider the impact on paying off lump sum of mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This x 100!!

Except I'd give it a year.

This X1000 - be prepared for many things to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Why do you have to spend the money? If you're taking a mortgage. You don't have to draw down the full amount.
    Settle in and you'll soon find out what you need / want.

I believe you said you're currently Gas? If so, I wouldn't change. I can see oil being a victim of the climate change efforts of the govt. before Gas is. I'd expect, even if oil is cheaper at the moment, it'll soon be taxed out of the market?

Perhaps I'm talking out my hole, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Once you own the house, have the keys, etc, look at the insulation in the attic. Have a pro look at it. If it's okay, floor the entire attic. If the insulation is not okay, replace, and then floor the entire attic. Having the space makes a big difference, as you can store seasonal crap there, such as xmas decorations, etc. Also winter/summer quilts, and stuff you only need once in a blue moon. Look at putting a few lights up there, so you can navigate around the crap you put up there (it accumulates).

Does it have a front porch? If not, consider getting one, as it can stop your house losing heat every time you open the front door.

If the garden shed is wooden, check if it's structurally sound. If not, replace it, and paint the outside with decent paint. Also consider have a sparks run a plug to it, so you can put a double chest freezer into it. The ability to bulk buy meat for the month at a wholesalers shouldn't be overlooked.

I believe you said you're currently Gas? If so, I wouldn't change. I can see oil being a victim of the climate change efforts of the govt. before Gas is. I'd expect, even if oil is cheaper at the moment, it'll soon be taxed out of the market?

Perhaps I'm talking out my hole, though.

Its not top priority really. I do know that the house is in relatively good condition. Doesn't need a new kitchen or any major spend. Paint and new carpets will make seem like a new place.
    the_syco wrote: »
    look at the insulation in the attic. Have a pro look at it. If it's okay, floor the entire attic. If the insulation is not okay, replace, and then floor the entire attic.

Does it have a front porch?

If the garden shed is wooden, .

Point taken re Attic. I will look to have this checked, There is insulation but on the quality I dont know.

No front porch and to be honest I am unsure if I can put a porch to the front of the house as I don't know what the boundary is yet.

No shed which I do need for tools, lawnmower and general ****e.

I think a solid fuel stove for the sitting room is an idea for comfort. here is a ornamental gas fire there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Make sure you have enough cash to live on for at least three months (maybe even up to six ) in a savings account: one month available at notice, the rest available at 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

enricoh wrote: »

ive seen some horror stories woh spray Foam. .look up online

Advertisement