Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The reason i ask is an post don’t support VoLTE. The phones generally fall back to 3G when on a voice call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭deezell

That's not true. My phone is operating on VoLTE.

Voice is over LTE.

Your phone must be capable, and the setting must be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The phone will switch to Edge or GSM for a call and revert to 4G after. The issue will be that data speed will be like dial up or not available during the call. That's probably not a problem for most people but if on a VOIP call (WhatsApp etc) at the same time a GSM call rings, the VOIP call will probably drop.

There's plenty of 4G phones over 5 years old in use that don't have VoLTE capable hardware or are not getting updates so will always have to use 2G for calls.

Of course the MNOs could develop a VOIP app to accommodate such phones that would allow calls on non VoLTE phones to work over 4G but maybe there's not enough in that situation to justify that.

IME 2G calls aren't noticeably different in audio quality compared to 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 boardsuser1000

IMS registration status

Not registered

Therefore it won't make calls using VOLTE. It'll change to 2g/3g for the call and then change back to 4g after the call has ended.

They might have worse reception, but they're using the same CODEC unless you're using one of the HD voice protocols.

In general VoLTE and VoWifi use far nicer and more modern CODECs with much better bandwidth so it should sound good.

I definitely had VoLTE call quality some time ago, I even posted here about it. It may have been when abroad, but I'm sure I had high quality audio some time ago. I receive so few mobile calls that I hadn't noticed a quality change. What I have noticed are the APN scripts saved, which includes a postfone one with APN type of IMS. These are auto populated by the network, so must have been active at some stage. It's significant that it cannot be selected now unless APN type is changed to default.

This would explain the recent spate of data outages also. I done a simple test, called a number, my voice and data changed to 3g, didn't change back, and I couldn't view Internet until I went into Airplane mode and back. The voice and data types in Sim settings reverted to LTE. This could indeed be the reason for all the mysterious data choking. If this is going to remain the case when 3G is shutdown, that thats entirely unsatisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

It’ll be interesting to see if Sky mobile which will also use the Vodafone network will have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. It would be very backwards to launch a new MNVO without those.

Bear in mind that 3G supports a higher definition voice protocol that isn't VoLTE. It's just a higher bandwidth circuit switched voice protocol.

The biggest issue is that the networks simply do not want to maintain circuit switching. It's old tech and it's expensive, so they'll push on to VoLTE, which is entirely VoIP end to end. There's some kind of virtualisation done to support voice on 2G over VoIP. Even the landline networks are now almost fully VoIP.

Eir has been ripping out TDM switches for the last few years and replacing with MSANs and VoIP soft switching and other networks have been doing similar i.e. BT Ireland, Virgin etc none of them will have circuit switched voice very soon.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Why does the guy in the Sky image look like the Monk's gun runner?

They're hoping? Hope springs eternal. My TV and broadband is sorted, so if its only a bundle, I'll pass. When Vodafone 3G is turned off it would be infeasible for any MVNO in a 5G environment to think they could degrade to 2G for calls and data. If you were working remotely on a device or even just enjoying a stream, from phone data, and simultaneously took a call, your device would freeze. And might remain frozen. I suspect that routing of Anpost data might be the issue for VoLTE, and VoIP in general. They might/should have to use Vodafone pipes for the VoLTE as you can't have seconds of latency on voice calls if the data is visiting Holland and Malta and back via Anpost service providers, but maybe Vodafone want paying for this relatively trivial data path diversion, or for the call clarity it brings if both parties are thus connected. Who knows.

It's all here. Nice of them not to notify us.

https://www.anpost.com/Mobile/Notice-Of-3G-Upgrade

They're saying you won't default to 2G unless you're phone is old shyte. So why default to 3G at all if it's history?

The networks want to reuse the 3G spectrum for more useful 4G and 5G it makes absolutely zero sense to continue with 3G at this stage.

2G has to remain on air because of legacy issues, but it's not provided over the original infrastructure. The most modern radio infrastructure can spin up minimal 2G radio when it needs to and it's connecting to the outside world over IP, just being converted into 2G standards at the mobile mast.

The 2G network infrastructure is not being maintained.

When you consider the lifestyle of a phone is about 2-3 years, there simply aren't very many 3G only handsets out there anymore.

4G and 5G are essentially two steps in the same LTE technology, so they're using common infrastructure. 3G is quite different in terms of how the infrastructure worked and nobody is using it for data, so it's kinda pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭steve_r

Posting here as unsure where else to post it.

Moved from Virgin Mobile to An Post mobile. Data speed is very poor. Based in Dublin City centre so location not an issue.

Basically unusable when I go home to the Midlands. I had been with Vodafone before and found their coverage excellent so tempted to move back but wanted to comment here in case there was something obvious I need to do settings wise or whether there's a good non Vodafone option also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Do you have data roaming enabled?

Make sure you have LTE selected in Settings/mobile Networks/Network mode.

Even with this it seems you have to wake up the data sometimes. Heres 4 tests just now in the city centre deep indoors in James St. First was abysmal, then it got going.

AnPost going to have to up their game. Calls are sent via 3G, which pushes your data back there for the duration, or longer maybe.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This has become commonplace with postmobile. You could get very fast speeds today, slow speeds tomorrow.

You do have the same reception as Vodafone but your data is handed over for processing by an post /aspider rather than Vodafone. Same way that three/48/Tesco/virgin all use same network but process data differently.

Eir/gomo don't differ as they use same data processing/APN.

Post mobile indeed seemed to require data wake up when I was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I've been with An Post the last two years. Unfortunately the data has been absolute dogshit this last 4 or 5 months. I've emailed them and always been promised that they will try reply within 1 working day, but may be longer. Never ever hear anything after the initial auto-reply email.

I'm thinking of going to GoMo based on the comments here. I also want to get a new phone. Is it straightforward switching over? And how would i go about it?

• Advertisement

I did this in May and never looked back. Sad as PM were great.

Is your phone locked to Vodafone? As PM worked on a locked VF phone.

To switch, order a Sim on 1st aug and when it arrives, try it out. (You're paying til 31 Aug no matter when you order it). If service is to your satisfaction, then go into online panel and move your number. It's self explanatory after that.

New phone, just buy an unlocked phone from Amazon, gomibo etc. Get a 5G phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Many thanks for the reply. I assume the mobile is locked as I bought it directly off An Post. Is there a way to find out?

I'm going to need to get a new mobile anyway, so that isn't too much of an issue. Where would be a good place to buy an android phone online?

Also, is it relatively easy to change over phone numbers to a new network?

Thanks again for your help, I know very little about mobiles etc. so I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Gomibo is good for phones

Easy to "port" your number. Just select a date and time in online panel. I'd only set this up after you receive the Sim with the temp number in case Theres a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Changed to GoMo last week. So much better than An Post Mobile.

Very fast data speed compared to An Post and I can use premium sms numbers which Post doesn't allow for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Got APM sim for my daughter, looks like a mistake. In D11 and cant even get reliable 4g outside the house. inside the house edge.. really.

Was hoping VF network in the area would be similar to Eir, but not the case.

100m up the road speedtest picks up 200mbps, in front of my house i get 15-20. and inside 5-10 (on eir).

APM gets 1.5-5 when on 4G..

didnt want to go billpay, might get her to end of month and then switch to a three based payg.. and that's no good here, gomo it is.

I'm convinced it's the routing rather than the speed of the connection between the handset and the nearest mast. As Anpost route data through Malta it seems, you're at the mercy of that switching network for what should be a local connection. I've had speedtests with ping times that would cover the moon and back.

Dropping to edge is a joke though. Does it indicate E rather than 4G on the phone before you conduct a test? I suppose fringe reception is possible even on urban areas. I couldn't show or forward a file by WhatsApp to a chap stating beside me in Kilcock a week ago, pdfs just not downloading. Speedtest result was paltry. I sent the usual strongly worded letter to 'Jennifer' (O'Bot?), and got the cut and paste reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I could never get my An Post Mobile to get consistent data speeds. the Other half is still with them and has no issues. Setting are all the same. Similar phones. I just gave up with it.

Same, had good speeds at times but product went down hill. Sceptical to leave but glad I did now.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

tried speedtest inside the house again today and half the time it couldn't even connect to server.

going to give 48 a try to check out the three coverage at my house. (as they claim you can try 1gb data for free...) .

i guess there is no point ranting at Anpost mobile support team for the awful service.. and write off the 15 quid.

• Advertisement

You can check your coverage at your exact location fwiw with this comreg map. https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map?location=53.38061815736742,-6.264341531744875&technology=4g&network=vodafone&place_id=ChIJmW7AleENZ0gRMjC5GajHACY

You can select the three different providers, or their MVNOs, and their 2,3, 4G or 5G offerings. Within any broadcast spread there can be small local pockets of poor signal, its the nature of Radio Frequency transmission, especially at the higher frequencies, but very much improved by the spread spectrum nature of the newer encoding and transmission technologies, where a receiver can pinpoint a data node from a torrent of radio waves.

I'm rambling nostalgically, I spent many a day in the early 80s surveying the ether for the presence and performance of the then new RTE UHF tv relays all over the country. Mobile phones a dream in those days, but the military were already testing encoded digital audio vhf handsets when I was employed there in the late 70s. Retirement sucks btw, but Boards keeps the dementia at bay!

Advertisement