Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

card reader payment

Options
  • 27-11-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello
    I need to get a card reader for to receive customer payment in my taxi,
    A friend suggested “ sumup “ or am I better going to my own bank ,
    Dose anyone have experience of this, costs etc
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Given it's a mobile version you're after it's unlikely your bank will have a better value option. If you search for card readers this comes up a LOT on here and will list all the options and the differences. Theres quite a few players in the market place now. Costs wise these things are down to about 2% and ~€50 for the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nalin

jimmii wrote: »
    Given it's a mobile version you're after it's unlikely your bank will have a better value option. If you search for card readers this comes up a LOT on here and will list all the options and the differences. Theres quite a few players in the market place now. Costs wise these things are down to about 2% and ~€50 for the device.

Thanks jimmii, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

To expand on what Jimmii has said, you need to look into the amount of money you will be putting throu the terminal, at 2.75% from SumUp (as an example), 2.6% from Square you will have the following

Monthly transactions of €1000 (taking an average trip price of €10 and 3 people per day wanting to pay by card) is €27.50 I know it doesn't sound like a lot but if your margin is extremely low, or more then 3 people start paying by card a day) then it can be very high.

Your bank will be able to provide a terminal that runs on a sim card for a set monthly fee that does not increase when you income increases

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nalin

DaveJoyce wrote: »
    To expand on what Jimmii has said, you need to look into the amount of money you will be putting throu the terminal, at 2.75% from SumUp (as an example), 2.6% from Square you will have the following

Monthly transactions of €1000 (taking an average trip price of €10 and 3 people per day wanting to pay by card) is €27.50 I know it doesn't sound like a lot but if your margin is extremely low, or more then 3 people start paying by card a day) then it can be very high.

Your bank will be able to provide a terminal that runs on a sim card for a set monthly fee that does not increase when you income increases

Thank you, all this information is very much appreciated,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Payzone (owned by AIB) is one of the better value options. Debit cards less than 0.4% (cheaper than taking cash), credit cards about 0.75%, and machine rental about €25/month

A 0.5% - 1% surcharge applies to business cards.

Its a long long time since they could charge a 2%+ fee on standard cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Have a look at

https://mysplink.com/

Advertisement