Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF happened to Talbot Memorial bridge?

Options
  • 27-11-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the logic behind the newly erected bollards in the right hand lane at the start of bridge?

It makes crossing that bridge to head along the Southside quays a f**king nightmare for cyclists. I presume cyclists weren't top of mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

jon1981 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the logic behind the newly erected bollards in the right hand lane at the start of bridge?

It makes crossing that bridge to head along the Southside quays a f**king nightmare for cyclists. I presume cyclists weren't top of mind.

I saw them the other night - I presume it's to stop people from using the bus lane from Amiens Street to go straight. Bus drivers can still turn right onto the quays in front of Custom House, but car drivers can't go straight on due to the bollards.

If I'm heading for the south quays I take the lane in the middle lane, so pass to the left of bollards. Alternative is to keep all the way left and then use the lights to cross on the far side of the bridge.

edit: Other alternative (my preferred route) is to turn into contra-flow bus lane on north quays and get onto south quays via Rosie Hackett bridge. Depends where you're heading obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

They seem to have taken half of those bollards up. I don't mind it so much now because it seems to have stopped taxi drivers tailgating me on approach to them.

Are we allowed cycle through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've noticed a good few taxis taking the right lane up to the lights, then indicating left to cut into the next lane and get around the bollards.

Effects wrote: »
    I've noticed a good few taxis taking the right lane up to the lights, then indicating left to cut into the next lane and get around the bollards.

Ahhh great, so they're still using it. I've just been lucky. :mad:

To be honest, I used to use it in the car when it was after 7pm. But I wouldn't do it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They seem to have taken half of those bollards up.
    Or have half of them been knocked down?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There seems to be only 2 bollards now. The approaching lane signage has been changed to 'right turn only' but a cyclist could still use it and go between the bollards.

Or have half of them been knocked down?

That is what i thought. I'll have a look this evening when i'm going by. Those type of bollards are broken regularly at Harolds Cross.
    There seems to be only 2 bollards now. The approaching lane signage has been changed to 'right turn only' but a cyclist could still use it and go between the bollards.

That is what i do. Keeps me out of the way of taxi drivers who are tailgating me.

I noticed all these bollards were gone last week when I crossing the bridge, as there was a car pulled in in the space!

I know it's the next bridge over, but I'm trying to work out what this lad is talking about...
    I used to go down Gardiner Street but due to installation of a cycle lane on Butt Bridge there can be another 10-minute delay.

Anyone?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/commuter-hell-my-daily-commute-is-affecting-my-mental-health-1.4109774

I'd say he's confused with Talbot Bridge.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    I'd say he's confused with Talbot Bridge.

I was thinking the same, but I'm still not sure what cycle lane he means - the contra-flow along city quay? The contra-flow on the bridge on the footpath? The with-flow one on the bridge which hasn't taken any space any from drivers?

Advertisement