Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying To Help Friend Apply For Bank Account

Options
  • 28-11-2019 12:46am

Hey,

My friend asked me to help him apply for a bank account. He's 23, he had a bank account with AIB from when he was a child but they closed it on him and he doesn't want to go back to them if possible, we just renewed his passport that expired in 2013 & just recieved it in the post today. He works, but his payslip has no address on it. He has a P60 from last year but it's not the address he is currently living in. He doesn't have any bills he pays for.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do for proof of address? He would like to apply for Bank of Ireland, but to be honest, at this point any major bank will do.

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

Here you go.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/banking/financial_institutions_and_identification.html

“ When you are opening an account you cannot use the same document as proof of both your identity and your address. The bank can decide to use any of the following documents for verification (and they can also look for further information).

Proof of identity

The bank can request any of the following documents as proof of identity:

A valid passport
    A current Irish driving licence
    A National Age Card (issued by An Garda Síochána)
    An identification form with a photograph signed by a member of An Garda Síochána
    Proof of address

The bank can request any of these documents as proof of your address:

A current utility bill (such as a gas, electricity or telephone or mobile phone bill)
    A current car or home insurance policy that shows your address
    A document issued by a government department that shows your address
    A list of your tax credits
    A current balancing statement from Revenue
    A social insurance document (that shows your address)
    A letter from your employer or licensed employment agency stating that you have recently arrived in Ireland and have started work but cannot yet provide evidence of your Irish address (you will have to provide evidence of your address at a later date)
    In some cases a bank may ask you for your PPS number – for example, if you are claiming tax relief on the interest paid on a mortgage loan.

Copies of all documentation used to establish the identity of the customer must be retained for 5 years after an account is closed. Also, copies of transactions must be kept for 5 years after the date of the transaction.

Bank staff are required to know the nature of their customers' business and can ask for information about the level and type of business that is likely to be transacted through the account. You can also be asked to provide confirmation of the source of your funds and to give reasons for carrying out certain transactions.

His passport should do.

Really? They all seem to ask for 1 - 2 proof of addresses when opening an account.

Bank Of Ireland - Required Documents

Really? They all seem to ask for 1 - 2 proof of addresses when opening an account.

Bank Of Ireland - Required Documents

See my correction above

See my correction above

Ah, thank you! I'll ask him for his revenue documents & see what I can find. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Is he on the electoral register? That can be used as proof of address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement