Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination Letter from landlord with multiple properties

Options
  • 28-11-2019 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I live in Dublin in a Rent Pressure Zone for 2 years and 1 month (there was never any lease agreement in place). A few months ago my landlord came to my apt and asked for 75% more in rent. I refused and said that I can only pay 4% allowed by law. He refused and told me to look for a new place. I didn't as I didn't do anything wrong. Even though there was no agreement, from a get go I started to pay 4% more in rent without waiting for an official rent increase letter or 90 days notice. A few months letter he handed me a termination letter on the basis of a "substantial renovation" and told me to move out. I checked with Threshold and the letter turned out to be invalid, which I informed my landlord about. Two days after I informed him about this he handed me a brand new termination letter but this time signed by his newly appointed solicitor - now he is claiming that his daughter has to move in exactly to my apt. My landlord has 30 apartments in my building where at least 1 apt becomes available each month (people are moving in and out all the time). My landlord's son owns 35 more apartments nearby (400 metres away). Obviously, we know what this is about - I became a problem and he removes me. I am going to challenge this notice too and will opt for the PRTB adjudicator.

My questions are:

1. Even if the latest notice of termination (re: daughter wants to move in) looks valid, can i still challenge it with PRTB based on the 6 months "history" of his conduct? I do have evidence of all our conversations and previous invalid notices. Everything that proves that he tried to get rid of me.
    2. Knowing that he and his son owns in total 65 almost identical apartments, can his daughter simply choose any other free place?
    3. While he owns so many other apartments, should he offer me a substitute apartment of those tenants that move out at the time when I become "homeless"?
    4. My neighbour confided in me that he will be moving out exactly the month that I am required to leave my own apt. Can I simply move in to my neighbour's place? Can I suggest this to my landlord? If I do, he will say that "he already promised this place to someone else". Can he do that? Or in such circumstances I should have a priority?

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Thank you.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You should try asking in the Accommodation and Property forum instead:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

but you should be warned in advance, that it may not get far, as any kind of legal advice is banned on the site, and this may fall under that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Thank you, Spear. I didn't realise that advice is banned.
    I kind of asked for people's thoughts so let's please see what everyone think about my case.

Please dont close this thread. I will post it on the Accommodation and Property, like suggested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Your thread in A&P has plenty of momentum, so I'll lock this one to prevent well meaning users from trying to continue it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement