Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live 12 months or Gamepass

Options
  • 28-11-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

just looking for a bit of advice, our son has an xbox and wants xbox live to play online but someone said I should get him a gamepass as well.

I know nothing about gaming so I'm totally confused. Can someone please advise should I buy xbox live or do I get a package with gamepass if possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I could be wrong, but there will likely be a free trial of both included in the box with a new console, so you won't be stuck on christmas morning.

to clarify for you, xbox live is simply a subscription that lets you play online against other people. You get 4 free games a month (but they're usually poor enough).
    xbox game pass is essentially netflix for games - you can download from a rotating library of over 100 games.

to further complicate (simplify?) there is a combined service called game pass ultimate, which combines both of the above.

you can get 3 months for about 20 euros on amazon at the moment, which is a pretty good deal.
    link here
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Ultimate-Console-Month-Membership/dp/B07SDJ8SGC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=games+pass+ultimate&qid=1574938622&smid=AR9ZQCUDB1BRG&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

On the Xbox store at the moment the first three months of Game Pass Ultimate is just a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dizzydoll

Thanks a million for the info, that explains alot.

Probably a stupid question but if I sign up on the xbox store does it go active from today's date or can I activate it on the 25th?

Thanks

dizzydoll wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the info, that explains alot.

Probably a stupid question but if I sign up on the xbox store does it go active from today's date or can I activate it on the 25th?

Thanks

todays date unfortunately.

No bothers, do you know if it is a black Friday deal? I cant see an expiry date on the offer but its a great deal even if he misses the first few weeks.

• Advertisement

dizzydoll wrote: »
    No bothers, do you know if it is a black Friday deal? I cant see an expiry date on the offer but its a great deal even if he misses the first few weeks.

Most likely a black friday promotion alright. For the sake of a euro it'd be worth getting alright.

One thing to bear in mind - it likely will open you up to automatically renewing once the 3 months have expired - resulting in a charge to your credit card. You should disable this once you have made your purchase. The services can generally be found for cheap online by way of prepaid cards or codes.

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Even if it is just a Black Friday deal Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (gamepass and live gold) is 13€ a month, so that should do you for the start. The other thing to think about is the EA membership, only 4 quid a month and you get a rake of games, mostly last years sports but it's pretty good for that price

Sorry for the questions, totally new to this so if I buy xbl for 12 months from say Amazon I get a code and put that on xbox with free 14 day free trial code & select recurring billing. Then sign up to Ultimate on xbox.com for $1 for three months that will give me 13 months instead of 3 months of Ultimate, yes?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement