Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will GRX work with Ultegra? (BB90 road-bike)

Options
  • 28-11-2019 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a way to lower the gearing for bikepacking on a Trek which has a BB90 press-fit bearings for Shimano Ultegra.

I've looked at Praxis Works Alba M30 48/32 but this would need a different bearing which would practically rule out switching with 50-34 again.

I've also looked at Absolute Black oval rings but opinions differ.

So, Shimano GRX 810 (48-31T) work? I might have an issue with the deraileur not coming down far enough - what distance would I get away with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

As a further complication, GRX chainsets have a slightly (2.5mm IIRC) wider chainline that the road chainsets, so the rings are 2.5mm further out from the bottom bracket. The GRX front mechs are built to reach slightly further out.

TBH I don't know if a road front mech will refuse to play with the GRX chainset at all or if it is just sub-optimal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

These rings should fit I think: https://www.bike24.com/p2249322.html

Give you 46/36

What sized cassette is currently fitted? The new Shimano road mechs are specced to 30T and can be pushed to at least 32 without issue (IME). The new 105 long cage will go to at least 34T officially and costs under €50. An 11-34 cassette would also be under €50.

The 48/31 GRX chainset is over €220

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

CramCycle wrote: »
    These rings should fit I think: https://www.bike24.com/p2249322.html

Give you 46/36

But that’s going up all the inner ring. The problem is that with the standard 110 BCD spider/crank, 32 is the lowest ‘standard’ ring to fit.

What sized cassette is currently fitted? The new Shimano road mechs are specced to 30T and can be pushed to at least 32 without issue (IME). The new 105 long cage will go to at least 34T officially and costs under €50. An 11-34 cassette would also be under €50.

The 48/31 GRX chainset is over €220
    I can get a 34 on it no bother, but that’s not enough for multi-day trips, with steep gradients, with a load, when you are over 60. Ya, I know, I ‘should’ have another bike but I’m not going there.

• Advertisement

As a further complication, GRX chainsets have a slightly (2.5mm IIRC) wider chainline that the road chainsets, so the rings are 2.5mm further out from the bottom bracket. The GRX front mechs are built to reach slightly further out.

TBH I don't know if a road front mech will refuse to play with the GRX chainset at all or if it is just sub-optimal.
    Thanks, I guessed it couldn’t just be that simple

Is it 10 or 11 speed?
    10 speed road shifters will operate a 9 speed Shimano MTB mech so you can get access to some large cassette sizes.

Will a shimano MTB chainset fit the BB90?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TGD wrote: »
    But that’s going up all the inner ring. The problem is that with the standard 110 BCD spider/crank, 32 is the lowest ‘standard’ ring to fit.

You can do 46/34, its not optimised but will work absolutely fine, you can fit a 34 on the back. That is a 1:1 ratio, if you need lower you may as well walk.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can do 46/34, its not optimised but will work absolutely fine, you can fit a 34 on the back. That is a 1:1 ratio, if you need lower you may as well walk.

34 x 34 x 28” wheel = 12 kph @ 90 rpm.
    Obviously I don’t walk uphill with a loaded bike as quick as you, but thanks for the advice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Absolute black do a 30-46 for four arm shimano that fits 110bcd, i had a set up for sale a while ago

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    Absolute black do a 30-46 for four arm shimano that fits 110bcd, i had a set up for sale a while ago

I looked into those as an option - they are expensive just for rings! (about same price as GRX chainset). Someone made the point that, because they are oval, a '30-ring' is wider at the 'power' part of the circle, than a round 30-ring, so in effect it's a higher gear than a standard 30. It's a moot point but interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Ill do my set for €80 if your interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've Doval sub compact 30/46 chainrings on a DA chainset.
    R8000 SGS rear mech with an 11-34 cassette.

gman2k wrote: »
    I've Doval sub compact 30/46 chainrings on a DA chainset.
    R8000 SGS rear mech with an 11-34 cassette.

Is ‘DA’ dura-ace or something else. What length are the cranks?

That’s very tempting. Good condition? I’d probably need a ‘long reach’ derailleur as well as I’m near the bottom of the hanger as is. Let me look into it.

TGD wrote:
    Is ‘DA’ dura-ace or something else. What length are the cranks?

Yeah Dura-Ace, sorry not for sale.

gman2k wrote: »
    Yeah Dura-Ace, sorry not for sale.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. By 'Doval' do you mean 'oval' - I have been Googling 'Doval chainrings'. If they are Absolute Black, how much gap approx have you between big ring and deraileur?

TGD wrote:
    Ok, sorry I misunderstood. By 'Doval' do you mean 'oval' - I have been Googling 'Doval chainrings'. If they are Absolute Black, how much gap approx have you between big ring and deraileur?

By Doval I mean Doval...
    They are a South Korean brand which make chainrings which are Oval!
    You'll find them on eBay.

Will take them thanks - have PM’d you.

Advertisement