Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids' Coding Present

• 28-11-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but I figured this is where the nerds hang out! ;)

My 11 year old is into computers, and has often mentioned going to a Coder Dojo. Unfortunately our local one conflicts with sports training, so he's never gone.

Is there anything "standalone" available (on Amazon or wherever), that would allow him to code/automate at home, without having to use my laptop/pc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would have thought that access to a laptop or PC would be the first step in coding....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Raspberry Pi might fit the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Would second the Raspberry Pi idea.

Can buy a kit with everything you need for less than €100 and there are tons of projects that can be done with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

depending on price, Little Bits are great for kids and add in the arduino kit and you have a good combo

https://littlebits.com/products/arduino-bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Scratch is what we used in coder dojo in kids primary school. Loads of online tutorials to follow. I'm a huge fan of raspberry pi and Arduino, but not as a first step into coding. Micro:bit would be a better step once scratch has been mastered if there's a desire to get into physical computing, using sensors, switches, motors etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement