Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying upgrade components with a Me2You card?

Options
  • 28-11-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading at least my gfx card from a GTX 700 to probably a GTX 1660 (or maybe a 1660 Ti).
    Possibly thinking about getting into some VR PC gaming, though I'll probably just get the card first.

I have a €500 Me2You card that I need to use up, so ideally I'd spend some of that on the upgrade. So I'm looking for places in Dublin selling components that take the card? Even if I end up paying 20-30 quid more than getting it online, it'd be worthwhile to get it somewhere local and use up the card.

Argos do, but have VR gear, but don't have much else in the way of kit and don't do gfx cards.
    Curry's do, much as I'd hate giving them money.
    But that's about it as far as I can see.

Is there anywhere else I've missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I'm also about to update my system for VR, and I've been looking at the same category of GPUs.
    You should have a look at the GTX 1660 SUPER. It's near 1660 Ti performance but at the 1660 price point.

Can't help you with the Me2You question though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you might have to sell the card for €450 online as I can't see anyone selling GFX cards that will take that card
    unless you can convince one of the electronic companies to order it in especially for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Curry's have Gigabyte RTX 2060 for €369 - not too big a markup (those cards usually retail for €355)

Littlewoods are the only other retailer I can see on that list & they're a joke for prices - they have GTX 1660 for >€400!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm also about to update my system for VR, and I've been looking at the same category of GPUs.
    You should have a look at the GTX 1660 SUPER. It's near 1660 Ti performance but at the 1660 price point.

Can't help you with the Me2You question though, sorry.

Thanks a million for that, they look like a decent compromise between the 1660 and the Ti. Looks like they're mostly the same number of CUDA cores as the 1660, but with the DDR6 from the Ti?
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Curry's have Gigabyte RTX 2060 for €369 - not too big a markup (those cards usually retail for €355)

Littlewoods are the only other retailer I can see on that list & they're a joke for prices - they have GTX 1660 for >€400!

Cheers, hadn't even realised Littlewoods sell components!
    That one is nuts, but they do have some 1660 Supers for 300 that don't seem unreasonable. Then again, I've heard so many horror stories about them over the years not sure I want to risk it.

GTX 1660 Super should retail closer to €250-275.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

As usual, I never got around to doing this, but with Cyberpunk imminent it's probably a good time to upgrade.

Presume the GTX 1660 Super is still the best value gfx-wise for around that price?
    Monitor is a 22" 1080p and unlikely to be upgraded soon.

Still have that Me2You card to use up, so at this stage I think I'll just head into Curry's and pick up the best option they have. Much as I hate giving them money, and could probably get it 50-60 cheaper online, it'll help use up the card and I won't have to wait for delivery.

So given that, what's the difference between:
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB Dual EVO OC Graphics Card
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB Super Graphics Card
    MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Graphics Card

The last one in particular seems a bit of a jump in price, they have an Asus Ti for a tenner more

The Asus is a 2.5 slot cooler, the Gigabyte & MSI have zero-fan modes.
    MSI has the best cooler & RGB.

There's a MSI RX 5600 XT Mech for 340: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/msi-radeon-rx-5600-xt-6-gb-mech-oc-graphics-card-10208634-pdt.html
    It's faster than any of them (VRAM is 12Gbps instead of 14Gbps).

However I'm not sure I can recommend upgrading at these prices, and especially since Cyberpunk is still months away.
    Also AFAIK you can't walk-in to collect any of these - delivery only.

Advertisement