Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass strimmer suitability

Options
  • 28-11-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

We have a small patch of grass outside the house, about 1 metre squared. Would a grass strimmer work to keep this patch tidy? I'm reluctant to buy a lawnmower for such a small patch of grass, primarily because we have nowhere to store a lawnmower. At least with a strimmer I could store it in the corner beside a cupboard...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

I would recommend against a strimmer. Firstly, it propels fresh grass cuttings out, these will stick to any nearby wall and make it look very untidy. Secondly, making a level cut in a small area with a strimmer requires some practice.

If this really such a small area, I would just cut it with a handheld Cordless Grass Shears:
    https://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-isio-electric-cordless-lithium-ion-shrub-grass-shear-set/560509_BQ.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I get rid of the grass and plant something else there. Ground cover plants. Like a juniper or contoneaster. They will need a prune every so often. But much less hassle than grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If the area is so small, get rid of the grass and plant a small flower/heather bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sorry thought I replied last night. The grass is outside our driveway, between the public footpath and the road. Minor teenage vandalism goes on out there so it wouldn't be worth planting, it would probably get destroyed. It's a quiet cul de sac but one neighbour attracts teenagers who occasionally kick over bins etc and every other house has just grass so anything different would be a novelty to these kind of idle minds!

Also thanks for the suggestions, my brother has a handheld device like that, I'll give it a trt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

You'd easily keep a square metre clipped with a clipping shears.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Get one of those ultrasound devices that repel teenagers but adults can't hear:)

Get one of those ultrasound devices that repel teenagers but adults can't hear

Ah thanks for the idea, no big issue with them at all, they just pass through very occasionally...one of my neighbours gets on the wrong side of them and they annoy him just that planting something would be pointless as it would be destroyed.

Advertisement