Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguards for Carbon Frame

Options
  • 28-11-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for help, have a second bike I'm looking to use as a commuter.

It's a full carbon race bike.

I am looking to see if there are mudguards that would be suitable, commute is 21km

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cruds or Raceblades

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

https://road.cc/content/review/242413-flinger-race-pro-clip-mudguards

I got Flinger mudguards recently and they are good. As the review says, you will still need shoe covers but the front protects you from getting soaked and protects your shins. I get full cover from the back mudguard. Extremely easy to install, find them better than race blades which I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Raceblades, no brackets to fit beforehand, clip on and off in seconds, your bike won't feel any different with them on, top class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Cheers, the bike in question will be used only as a commuter, have a canyon for proper spins

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mamax wrote: »
    Raceblades, no brackets to fit beforehand, clip on and off in seconds, your bike won't feel any different with them on, top class
    The Raceblade Long are much more superior than the standard Raceblades in my opinion. (I've good experience of both). They do require the simple fitting of a front and rear bracket initially but the mudguards can be fitted and removed easily leaving the brackets in situ. They also provide much better coverage than the Raceblades and they don't mark the frame.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sks-raceblade-long-2-mudguards/rp-prod141522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Zcj465sl.jpg

PDW's and BuddyFlaps.

CAAD10 has no mudguard mounts. These attach via a clever brake-bridge design and onto your QR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Plastik wrote: »

PDW's and BuddyFlaps.

CAAD10 has no mudguard mounts. These attach via a clever brake-bridge design and onto your QR.

Hmm, interesting. My Canyon Ultimate AL is similar, no mudguard mounts and no clearance. I did at one stage have Cruds and ran 23mm tyres, but the front guard cut into the fork and the rear guard would gradually wear from the rubbing tyre.

Ultimately, I decided on the Raceblades Stealth (cheapest from Bike24). They protect me and do a good job keeping the most vulnerable parts of the bike protected, ie, the BB, fork junction and underneath the saddle which can corrode quickly when exposed to the crap from the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been using Crud MK3's for the last 2 years (I leave them on the bike all year round) and have nothing but praise for them. Theyre easy to fit and remove, are much more solid than the MK2's and work with 28mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Zcj465sl.jpg

PDW's and BuddyFlaps.

Ah go on and show the lads the truck art on the rear flap!!

ckeego wrote: »
    Ah go on and show the lads the truck art on the rear flap!!

96MwkQUl.jpg

King of the Road Boss

www.buddyflaps.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

96MwkQUl.jpg

King of the Road Boss

www.buddyflaps.com

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

96MwkQUl.jpg

King of the Road Boss

www.buddyflaps.com

Great response, Ian😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Is it possible to use p clips on a carbon frame, and then use proper mudguards?

I've gone through a few sets of the race blade type things over the years and never totally happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

96MwkQUl.jpg

King of the Road Boss

www.buddyflaps.com

Your saddle looks a massive height

Is it possible to use p clips on a carbon frame, and then use proper mudguards?....
    Not really. They are generally used on frames without eyelets and without QR skewers (e.g. fixies/single speeds).

On a carbon bike, they will allow attachment to seat stays and forks but won't solve the attachment points at the brakes and at the bottom near the BB. That's assuming you can fit full mudguards in the first place which is unlikely.

Also, it almost certain that your bike will have QR skewers so what's the point using P clips as the mudguard stays can be anchored to the QR skewers?

Your saddle looks a massive height

Just a wide angle lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Anyone know if the mudguards from the CSS advent sale are
    A. Any good,
    B. Reasonably priced?

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/adventcalendar.asp?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=advent#UpcomingDeals

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I got my LBS to fit raceblades at the weekend and am well pleased with them so far, albeit after just a commute on it so far (aside from slight rub on front wheel which should be easily fixed). Carbon tape to protect the frame and pretty decent length at the back to protect any followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I have disc brakes, I dont think the race blades are suited for that?

Any recommendations for mudguards for use with disc brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

wheelo01 wrote: »

I have race blades and disc brakes, no issues my side. the rear was a little short and rather than buy the XL version I bought a flexible flap from Bike24.de and fitted it. Not much difference now versus other club mates. the outlay was €4.5 vrs €45.

Happy with that.

C

• Advertisement

wheelo01 wrote: »

The ordinary Raceblades will fit as they are not attached to the brakes.

Advertisement