Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating app

• 28-11-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Hi, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have the usual old fashioned heating timer where you push in the little pins so set the timer. Beside it I have a double zone switch, one for upstairs, the other downstairs.

Im after getting google home, but im looking for something basic to turn on and off the heating and set timers. The zones would be a bonus but not essential. it usually has both on all the time. I wont be adding thermostats or valves to the rooms.

The main use will be setting the timer and turning it on when we're on the way home.
    Any recommendations on what to get thats not overkill for what I want.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

garv123 wrote: »
    Hi, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have the usual old fashioned heating timer where you push in the little pins so set the timer. Beside it I have a double zone switch, one for upstairs, the other downstairs.

Im after getting google home, but im looking for something basic to turn on and off the heating and set timers. The zones would be a bonus but not essential. it usually has both on all the time. I wont be adding thermostats or valves to the rooms.

The main use will be setting the timer and turning it on when we're on the way home.
    Any recommendations on what to get thats not overkill for what I want.
    Thanks

Nest is the job for you.

Sounds to me like you have 2 zones both controlled by a single timer and then you manually turn on or off your zones ?

So technically you could have 2 thermostaically.controlled zones using 2 nests, or one nest controlling both zones with the option of manually turning on or off the zones as you do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Nest is the job for you.

Sounds to me like you have 2 zones both controlled by a single timer and then you manually turn on or off your zones ?

So technically you could have 2 thermostaically.controlled zones using 2 nests, or one nest controlling both zones with the option of manually turning on or off the zones as you do now.
    Yup that's how it works. Looked at the nest there. Looks like it would do the job. We rarely ever turn off any of the zones.

I see there's 2 models. Our immersion switch is separate but the same tank heats up when the heating is on. No option to stop the water heating up.
    Any idea which model i need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

garv123 wrote: »
    Yup that's how it works. Looked at the nest there. Looks like it would do the job. We rarely ever turn off any of the zones.

I see there's 2 models. Our immersion switch is separate but the same tank heats up when the heating is on. No option to stop the water heating up.
    Any idea which model i need?

I think technically they are both the same, just minor differences in features, I'm not sure.

If you are with electric Ireland you get them installed at a discount price

Advertisement