Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router and Extender 1 network name?

• 28-11-2019 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a little help. I have an Eir F2000 modem and a EX6120 WiFi Range Extender. Currently I get 4 networks to connect to on every device ( Eir 2.4G, 5G and extended 2.4G and 5G). Can i just bridge them all together and use 1 network but picks the strongest signal? I hope this makes sense im not very tech savy .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Note to mods :D:
    i think this one should be elsewhere than "Broadband", "Wireless" perhaps

if not sorted yet...
    Your client devices(phone,laptop) should pick up connection and connect/switch automatically if signal become to weak. If its not happening, is either clients not set correctly(auto-connect when in the range) or signal still strong enough for client to choose not to swap. In this case, even if you unify SSID's, your clients might continue staying on weaker signal. Basically "masking" issue, not fixing it. On other hand, you might not gain much of a boost if client think signal is strong enough to keep connection.
    Devices(router/extender) you using are not "smart enough" to do "handover" by signal strength and switching is done by client itself. If you unify SSID's, you wont be able manually switch as there will be no option to choose.

I could guess clients maintain 2.4GHz connection even if its weaker as it broadcast further than 5GHz. You could try disable 2.4 altogether(on both router and extender), but this might cause issue to older clients(if any) that don't support 5GHz, and/or reduce coverage across premises.
    On your extender there is "FastLane mode" feature (pages 19/20) - see options if it helps.

Finally, answering you question, you should be able to change(rename) SSID's to same as on your F2000 router, with same password, but different channel(or Auto). Still, keep differentiation between 2.4 and 5

Page 21

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6120/EX6120_UM_25Aug2015.pdf

Tip: before you do fiddle with settings on extender, make configuration backup, in case some goes wrong you will be able fast restore to current settings. Page 37

Advertisement