Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray foam or rockwool/fibreglass for attic insulation?

Options
  • 28-11-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking to have the attic insulated. 1996 build, around 50 sq m, only used for storage and non-convertible (I don't own the roof). At the moment there is only a thin layer of fibreglass.

Would you recommend insulating the attic floor with a thicker layer of rockwool/fibreglass or go for spray foaming the rafters? I understand the former will keep more heat in the flat, but the attic will still be cold, and the latter will mean a warmer attic but loss of some heat through the ceilings. Obviously costs matter but in the long run, what would be best?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

i hope its ok to add a question to the above.

what is the story with spray insulation and fumes. i was going to go for the spray on {white foam] for my attic and shed. my wife is worried as she has heard stories about the foam giving of toxic fumes.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Hi,

I'm looking to have the attic insulated. 1996 build, around 50 sq m, only used for storage and non-convertible (I don't own the roof). At the moment there is only a thin layer of fibreglass.

Would you recommend insulating the attic floor with a thicker layer of rockwool/fibreglass or go for spray foaming the rafters? I understand the former will keep more heat in the flat, but the attic will still be cold, and the latter will mean a warmer attic but loss of some heat through the ceilings. Obviously costs matter but in the long run, what would be best?

Thanks for your help

What do you mean by "don't own the roof"?

The attic is supposed to be cold. Insulate on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sunflower72

Hi Mick,
    The roof is owned by the management company, I cannot have windows installed for example so the attic can only be used for storage (or a dark room).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Chase the management company to upgrade the insulation on the flat.
    Meanwhile. have the apartment tested for air tightness. This will highlight the air leakage issues and may be more easily addressed and be your primary heat loss mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi,

Thanks for your help
    Have you dry walls? Check if cold air comes through the bottom two pins of the power sockets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement