Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't like these threads tbh. They always turn into a willy waving contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Alkers wrote: »
    That sounds low given your experience. Are you in construction or another industry?

Private consultancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't like these threads tbh. They always turn into a willy waving contest.

11 inches here.

It used to be only 8 inches but I moved to Dublin and upped my interview skills and am reaping the benefits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    These salaries seem really high.

I'm been a software developer in dotnet /C# for almost twenty years and the highest salary I've been paid was 45k. Recent contract rates have been 350pd.

I'm on the jobs market now and have just received a call from an agent about a development role, for 45k. I'm currently in the interview stage for a 60k offer though.

Am I just bad at haggling, but why do the offers I see pay less than what I would expect of industry average?

Cork City.

That seems really low. I'm a year into software dev an I'm on 32k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

10k :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 135 ✭✭Sloppy_Joe

Ginger83 wrote: »
    10k :mad:

What hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think what people need to realise when they read these threads and feel as if they are underpaid there are vast ranges within the same profession.

take an accountant or solicitor, in general terms.

You take someone who was gone to a top university, trained with a large international firm and moved into industry. Someone like that will probably be on a low 6 figure salary after 10 years working.

Take the same accountant or solicitor who trained in a small local firm and stayed there or moved into a lower role in industry, they could easily be earning 40-45k after the same period.

So they would both be qualified accountants for example, they could even be in the same industry or company and one could quite easily earn at least double what the other does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Theres more to life than how much you earn.....
    I only make 80k a year but Im home at 5pm every day.haven't done OT in 10 years.

Only:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    These salaries seem really high.

I'm been a software developer in dotnet /C# for almost twenty years and the highest salary I've been paid was 45k. Recent contract rates have been 350pd.

I'm on the jobs market now and have just received a call from an agent about a development role, for 45k. I'm currently in the interview stage for a 60k offer though.

Am I just bad at haggling, but why do the offers I see pay less than what I would expect of industry average?

Cork City.

I am more on the DC infrastructure side but in Cork target one of the multi nationals, plenty have R&D & engineering but with .Net I doubt would be in huge demand. You may need another language to get spotted but usually they are paying Dublin rates. Oculus, VMware, Fireeye could be targets who have R&D.

Anything Cloud native at the moment seems to be attracting the big bucks as infrastructure containers are really taking off fast and blurring the lines between apps and infra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sloppy_Joe wrote: »
    What hours?

None to be fair, inv pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.tui.ie/welcome-to-our-website/common-basic-scale-wef-1110.5776.html

Max principal allowance is 41,469.

Max teacher pay is 64,302.

So very few principals on 100k.

presume fee paying school principles can get more?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

€118k, at current exchange rates, as construction project manager. Have to travel to UK to earn it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Level 1 Inbound sales at a well known multinational contact centre.
    €49,000 plus shares. 6 years tenure with incremental pay increase
    €3,000 share options per year
    7% pension contribution Match
    Free HealthCare.

Recently left to pursue a career change.

To be fair they look after you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Why are there so many people saying this is all bull****? A lot of the people quoting higher salaries are experienced people in tech or professional jobs that are well known to pay higher - and most of them are in Dublin which has higher salaries again. The numbers are perfectly believable. I wish someone would explain why they think it's bull****, rather than just saying it.

Also, we should be more open about what we earn. It seems to be an Irish / Anglo American thing to be very secretive about your salary. That only benefits the employer. If you don't know that your peers are earning more than you, there's less of a chance of you asking for a raise. In a jobs market like this, it really benefits the employee to know what their peers are earning as it gives them a much stronger negotiating position.

I'm a Data Scientist with 6 years experience. I'm on 85k with 10% bonus and 13% pension contributions. This is similar to my peers as we tell each other what we earn. I am lucky as there is huge demand for Data Scientists at the moment, although at entry level the market is becoming saturated. I was lucky to get in and get some experience when I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

Agree with OEP.

Most of what's been quoted is believable. There are a couple of obvious pisstakes but these are easy to discern.

I'm not sure why some people find them so hard to believe. One thing I heard years ago is that the majority of people who say they have 10 years experience don't really, what they have is 2 years experience 5 times, or 3 years experience 3 times. My point is, some people are a long time in a job but not developing skills, others constantly push themselves to learn and develop and do at times earn much more than those in a similar industry for longer than them as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Those that are earning big salaries today in the likes of construction; if you were on the dole for part of the last decade during the Recession, annualized over the last 10 years, are you really that well off?

Salaries that seem large today if they hit a few lean years in future will bring down the yearly average over a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

salonfire wrote: »
    Those that are earning big salaries today in the likes of construction

Construction professionals are terribly paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Don Joe wrote: »
    I'm essentially a jumped up draftsman with an engineering consultant. 53K. No engineering qualification.

In the drafting side of construction for 9 of the last 12 years.

2007 - 18K
    2008 - 23K
    2011 - Job bridge
    2012 - 28K
    2013 - 30K
    2014 - 33K
    2015 - 40K
    2016 - 42K
    2017 - 48K
    2018 - 50K
    2019 - 53K.

Thanks for such a detailed post.
    I'm in a similar line of work but finding employers are incredibly reluctant to up salaries.

Can I ask;
    - are you based in dublin?
    - are you doing much unpaid overtime?
    - Do you find your lack of Engineering qualifications a hindrance?
    - have you had to move jobs often to get the pay increases?

I'm an architectural technologist on 44k.
    I find I'm on more than most of my peers that I know of.
    I've changed jobs twice in the last few years with modest pay increases.

This year I would have brought in about 250k in fees, last year similar, the year before close to a million (this was a team of 2), but I find when I look for an increase the boss plays the poor mouth.

Am i just bad at negotiating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

12th year as a primary school teacher and I currently get paid €36,556 net income a year.

Thats net, gross would be somewhere around 45k

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Principle DevOps Engineer in an enormous MNC, 95k + 12% bonus, VHI for the whole family, 4% pension from me with another 8% from the company. Company phone and a 12k car allowance due to my job banding that I take in cash.
    I'd echo what everyone else in Software related fields said, you've got to move around to get decent salary bumps and be lucky in the choices you make. Graduated as a mature student 5 years ago now and on my 3rd job now. My salary is skewed by the fact that I had a whole other career before this where I worked at Director level so I'm not treated as having only the 5 years of experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

On about 48k gross, in Dublin area. I'm a recently qualified accountant working in financial services, have about 5 years experience. I think I'm being paid on the low side but I like the company I'm with, it has its perks. I'm planning to have a chat at next review it see can I get it up around 55k, I'd be happy out at that.

Thanks for such a detailed post.
    I'm in a similar line of work but finding employers are incredibly reluctant to up salaries.

Can I ask;
    - are you based in dublin?
    - are you doing much unpaid overtime?
    - Do you find your lack of Engineering qualifications a hindrance?
    - have you had to move jobs often to get the pay increases?

I'm an architectural technologist on 44k.
    I find I'm on more than most of my peers that I know of.
    I've changed jobs twice in the last few years with modest pay increases.

This year I would have brought in about 250k in fees, last year similar, the year before close to a million (this was a team of 2), but I find when I look for an increase the boss plays the poor mouth.

Am i just bad at negotiating?

PM sent.

Not Dublin, Munster. Very little unpaid overtime, maybe 2 hours a week, often none.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

49k a year as a Health, Safety, Quality Advisor for an Engineering Consultancy in Dublin. 10yrs experience. Asked for payrise last week and told 'I was at the top end of my payscale for my profession', such ****e. 21 days leave, No bonus, no pension, no health insurance, no flexitime, not even a bottle of wine or a thank you at xmas. A more miserable shower you will not find, not to mention the complete oddballs I'm sharing an office with.

49k a year as a Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental Advisor for an Engineering and Environmental Consultancy in Dublin. 10yrs experience. Asked for payrise last week and told 'I was at the top end of my payscale for my profession', such ****e. 21 days leave, No bonus, no pension, no health insurance, no flexitime, not even a bottle of wine or a thank you at xmas. A more miserable shower you will not find, not to mention the complete oddballs I'm sharing an office with.

From experience, complete oddballs and engineers go hand in hand... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

49k a year as a Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental Advisor for an Engineering and Environmental Consultancy in Dublin. 10yrs experience. Asked for payrise last week and told 'I was at the top end of my payscale for my profession', such ****e. 21 days leave, No bonus, no pension, no health insurance, no flexitime, not even a bottle of wine or a thank you at xmas. A more miserable shower you will not find, not to mention the complete oddballs I'm sharing an office with.

Sounds like time for a new employer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

49k a year as a Health, Safety, Quality Advisor for an Engineering Consultancy in Dublin. 10yrs experience. Asked for payrise last week and told 'I was at the top end of my payscale for my profession', such ****e. 21 days leave, No bonus, no pension, no health insurance, no flexitime, not even a bottle of wine or a thank you at xmas. A more miserable shower you will not find, not to mention the complete oddballs I'm sharing an office with.

Do we work together? :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Alkers

Move job, I have friends on 150% your salary with just a bit more than 50% your experience. Same role.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Klonker wrote: »
    On about 48k gross, in Dublin area. I'm a recently qualified accountant working in financial services, have about 5 years experience. I think I'm being paid on the low side but I like the company I'm with, it has its perks. I'm planning to have a chat at next review it see can I get it up around 55k, I'd be happy out at that.

is your 5 years experience including getting your exams, how many years post qualified experience do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I don’t get that. Why would you accept those conditions ? You pay dearly for company loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Cyrus wrote: »
    is your 5 years experience including getting your exams, how many years post qualified experience do you have?

Yeah the 5 years includes exams, I only have a few months post qualified. Did ACCA and took my time with some breaks hence the 5 years before qualifying.

Advertisement