Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake minutes of meetings

Options
  • 28-11-2019 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

My manager is faking minutes of meetings that never happened. I have just discovered I was apparently attending them(along with a couple of others)

The meetings never happened. What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭skinny90

fake a formal complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

skinny90 wrote: »
    fake a formal complaint?

To HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Claim travel exps
    edit;
    Oh and overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

OP can you give us some more context as to why this is an issue for you?

Or alternatively why can’t you just tell your manager you weren’t present?

Claim travel exps
    edit;
    Oh and overtime

Unfortunely the fake meetings are on site during normal working hours.

The thing is it would benefit the team to actually hold the meeting. I can't get my head around taking the time to fake minutes rather than actually hold the meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

To HR?

To Fake HR

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He is probably taking credit for things Yee are doing.

Spoofers seem to move up quite quickly.

He is probably taking credit for things Yee are doing.

Spoofers seem to move up quite quickly.

Does that quite openly. They just stick their name on my documents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Batgurl wrote: »
    OP can you give us some more context as to why this is an issue for you?

Or alternatively why can’t you just tell your manager you weren’t present?

Are you for real.

More context lol.

How did you find out OP ? Why don't you ask for the minutes to be circulated for agreement. That should make for fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Managers don’t get promotions for how hard they work. It’s how hard they get everyone to work.

If they worked hard somebody else would be credited with motivating them and that person would get promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Most places expect managers to have team daily/weekly/monthly meetings (it makes sense) maybe your manager is faking them to try show higher ups they are happening. Or is afraid to actually have them as your team might slaughter them in an open forum.

Anyway ask for your name to removed if it bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I can't get my head around taking the time to fake minutes rather than actually hold the meeting.
    Sounds like a massive time-saver.

Does that quite openly. They just stick their name on my documents

I'd be contacting union if there is one and also a solicitor for someone using your name and signature.

It is fraudulent what he is at and I'd be getting proof and pushing HR.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Most places expect managers to have team daily/weekly/monthly meetings (it makes sense) maybe your manager is faking them to try show higher ups they are happening. Or is afraid to actually have them as your team might slaughter them in an open forum.

It doesn't just bother me, it is directly related to the project I'm working on. I have asked for this meeting to be held several times but was ignored. The minutes show the team agreed to x. But I don't agree with x and want it reviewed by the team and my manager knows it.

Reminds me of a manager nearly sure it was and he was basically forgotten about in the company, he would go into his office the odd time, leave for days or weeks and get paid quite well.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sounds like a massive time-saver.
    But a pointless waste of time

I'd be contacting union if there is one and also a solicitor for someone using your name and signature.

It is fraudulent what he is at and I'd be getting proof and pushing HR.

No union, but I've saved a copy of the minutes

He will go places. Seems a trend to promote absolute tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Address this with your boss first and foremost. Could be a genuine mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

STB. wrote: »
    Are you for real.

More context lol.

I am indeed.

I’m one of those crazy people who look for the full story before jumping to conclusions...mad I know!!!

For example, a manager could mark an employee as present at a meeting because she has given that employee special permission to drop his child off at school and so miss the daily standup. Or because the employee (who is normally reliable) has overslept. It’s not healthy to always assume the worst in people.

However, it seems from the OP’s recent post that the manager did it to push their own agenda, which is not acceptable.

OP - if you just want it noted that you don’t agree with the proposal, ask your manager to remove your name. If you want the proposal re-examined, I suggest you organise your own meeting and invite your manager to discuss.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Address this with your boss first and foremost. Could be a genuine mistake

The minutes where constructed as a formal response to an outside body.

• Advertisement

The minutes where constructed as a formal response to an outside body.

So address with your line manager and ask for an explanation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Had this anything to do with a €1.8m printer?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    So address with your line manager and ask for an explanation

I will but I know I'll get fobbed off. I think my options are

a) address it with manager but I would rather hr or general manager there too (or someone neutral)

b) call a meeting myself and recap on the previous fake minutes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You need to go above your managers head tbh. And to do that, you'll need evidence (in the form of a copy of the minutes) and testimony from others that were allegedly in the meeting that never happened.

Could go one of two ways: you get fired and enter into an unfair dismissal scenario, or you get a massive promotion for outing the scammer.

Again, know your enemy before doing anything, if they are the son / daughter / ride of the owner then it's pointless.

I will but I know I'll get fobbed off. I think my options are

a) address it with manager but I would rather hr or general manager there too (or someone neutral)

So if as expected you get fobbed off by your manager then you go to the general manager. However this should go through the appropriate line management channels first ie line manager, general manager and then if still not getting anywhere HR

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dreamers75 wrote: »

Speak with the team, get together and agree a course of action..best if everyone is singing from the one sheet.

Go to the most senior manager available, explain what has happened.

In this instance all agree that he may view cctv to prove that that meeting or meetings never took place.

Have a printed copy of the employee manual that mentions ‘falsifying company information’ complete with the recommended course of action ie. dismissal....hand it to the manager investigating. No escape..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think my options are

I was thought a good manager should never be there. This guys nailed it, you can learn a lot from him.

If you want meetings offer to chair the meetings and nominate a minute taker or let him keep making them up, either way you'll be next in line for the handy managers job.

Don't report him, this guys a legend. Ask about the Team night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Batgurl wrote: »
    I am indeed.

I’m one of those crazy people who look for the full story before jumping to conclusions...mad I know!!!

For example, a manager could mark an employee as present at a meeting because she has given that employee special permission to drop his child off at school and so miss the daily standup. Or because the employee (who is normally reliable) has overslept. It’s not healthy to always assume the worst in people.

However, it seems from the OP’s recent post that the manager did it to push their own agenda, which is not acceptable.

OP - if you just want it noted that you don’t agree with the proposal, ask your manager to remove your name. If you want the proposal re-examined, I suggest you organise your own meeting and invite your manager to discuss.

Well all the clues are in the first post. It seemed quite clear to me. So no need for you to be jumping to conclusions..
    My manager is faking minutes of meetings that never happened. I have just discovered I was apparently attending them(along with a couple of others)

I don't think that first post can be any clearer unless you jumped to conclusions about why that may be. Suggesting that it may have been because the manager had "given that employee special permission to drop his child off at school" "for example" is non sensical. That's not in the first post.

And your recommendations about what course of actions to take next are completely flawed. If they are capable of making up minutes of meetings that never happened, what else are they capable of making up. The OP has clarified that the employees have been looking for team meetings to be held and that the minutes of meetings never held do not reflect the position of the team anyway. Either Walter Mitty stuff or someone dangerously way in over their head. Eitherway they shouldn't be left in any position of authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

i believe the odce are there to stop corruption but they are reluctant to do their job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What do I do?

If I were you I'd do nothing.

Companies don't work the way schools do.

In school you're told be honest and work hard.

It's a bad lesson because in the real world it's not like that.

Telling HR will likely backfire on you.

Advertisement