Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job in new year

Options
  • 28-11-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't happy in my job for quite a while. I started a course last year to retrain and keep my brain working and I got a new job. I'm not starting until January but not given an actual start date yet. I only have to give a week's notice to my current employer, but I told my employer and that I would let them know as soon as I got a start date. I thought that seemed fair. They pushed me for a date so I gave my notice until the first weekend in the new year.

What do I do if I don't start until the end of January. I'd be glad for the break but I still need money. Would the social welfare be understanding of my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

What do you do? You should kick yourself, to be honest. Your notice period was only one week and you could have given it in January.

Social welfare may be understanding but they probably won't pay you anything as you left your job voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You shouldn’t have opened your mouth to your employer, but I guess you know that now.

You might have been offered the position but I wouldn’t have been contemplating leaving your current employer or making them aware that you would be until you are looking at a start date for the new job...

All your current employer wants now is you out so they can begin the hiring process for your replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You could go to new employer and ask them for confirmation of the start date, which suits you, and tell them you were lead to believe that you would be starting then.

They might be sitting there thinking you are coming in on the 1st working day of January.

If they say it is going to be the end of January, you could ask your current employer to change your notice date.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Never tell your current employer anything until you a contract signed, sealed and delivered from the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Once you get the date you can just go back to your current employer and ask to stay on for an extra couple of weeks. The worst they can say is no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement