Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade path for an old i3 + r9 270x :)

Options
  • 28-11-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

The little fellow's Santa list just said "Gaming PC" :(

So in my current system I have;

i3 4160
    R9 270x
    8gb DDR3
    2 x 120gb kingston SSDs
    AS Rock B85m Pro 4
    all powered by a Super Flower Amazon (chef's kiss)

While everything is still ticking along I am wondering what the best options are for upgrading.

Reading through the posts I was thinking about a total overhaul and getting a Ryzen 5 2600 system paired with a 200 euro GPU but i am wondering if I just dropped in a 2nd hand i7 and new GPU, how far off the Ryzen build would I be?

As I say, it is not really struggling with anything because the most game that gets played is Mount and Blade but the little fellow wants to expand his gaming adventures and this will not really allow for that.

Budget is circa 500 euro but I think I few decent peripherals would actually be just as beneficial to him (good KB, Mouse and Headset). Currently using a HCMAN KB Perixx 2000 & BenQ GL2450H

I'd appreciate any thoughts and I am (kind of) open to buying 2nd hand (parts or complete PC) if that's a worthy option.

Thanks in advance all

Comments

Advertisement