If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLED TV & AV Receiver

Options
  • 28-11-2019 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, I have an LG 37LM620T, Onkyo TX-NR515, Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers & QED silver anniversary XT. All bought from yourselves over the years.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a OLED TV.

What would you recommend between the LG OLED55B9PLA & Panasonic TX55GZ950B?
    If changing TV would I need to upgrade the AV receiver?

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hello, I have an LG 37LM620T, Onkyo TX-NR515, Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 speakers & QED silver anniversary XT. All bought from yourselves over the years.

Thanks
    Hey Hulio Jordio.

Thanks for the post.

That's not a bad AV receiver and speaker pack you currently have, however it does not have the technology to passthrough or decode any of the 4K signals.

Its a tough choice between the two to be honest.
    The 55B9 really is a cracking OLED and its current price of 1199 Euro is very hard to pass up :)
    I own one of the older versions myself.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Pardon me from butting in as you mentioned onkyo amp does not have the technology for passthrough or decode any of the 4k signals and not sure what that means if i upgrade to a 4k tv.
     A new box with twin sat and cable/saorview + iptv ready is with me but not setup yet and when in use box to tv via hdmi and optical from tv to amp is what is setup for previous boxes.Forgot to say new box is 4K.
     Thanks again

greasepalm wrote: »
    Pardon me from butting in as you mentioned onkyo amp does not have the technology for passthrough or decode any of the 4k signals and not sure what that means if i upgrade to a 4k tv.
     A new box with twin sat and cable/saorview + iptv ready is with me but not setup yet and when in use box to tv via hdmi and optical from tv to amp is what is setup for previous boxes.Forgot to say new box is 4K.
     Thanks again
    Hi Greasepalm.

Do you also own one of the Onkyo 515's?
    The Onkyo TXNR515 was in production before 4K was rolled out so the HDMI ports are not capable of carrying the signal.

For 4K, all devices must be 4K compliant including TV, AV receiver, HDMI cables and any sources that you are using.
    You can then just use HDMI to connect you devices to your receiver and then one HDMI to the television.

Hope this explains thing a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I could not remember what model and see its the tx-sr875 and upscales to 1080.
    What confuses me is when i played a blu ray it was 1920 x 1080 full picture and sound .
    So it looks like the amp is pre 4k and cannot handle 4k content but am assuming spdif would still work.thanks

greasepalm wrote: »
    I could not remember what model and see its the tx-sr875 and upscales to 1080.
    What confuses me is when i played a blu ray it was 1920 x 1080 full picture and sound .
    So it looks like the amp is pre 4k and cannot handle 4k content but am assuming spdif would still work.thanks
    Hi Greasepalm.

Yes the 875 was pre 4K so I would say it will have issues with a 4K signal.

The upscaling side of things on it means that if it is fed a none 1080 signal it will upscale it. However if you play a BluRay through it, it does not need to upscale and will display in full HD 1920x1080 as this is what the disk will be decoded in.

Blu Ray is 1920 x 1080.
    4K is 3840 x 2160.

SPDif is an audio optical cable and will carry sound from your device to the 875 as is not connected to the image.

Hope this explains things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hulio jordio

Thanks
    Hey Hulio Jordio.

Thanks for the post.

That's not a bad AV receiver and speaker pack you currently have, however it does not have the technology to passthrough or decode any of the 4K signals.

The 55B9 really is a cracking OLED and its current price of 1199 Euro is very hard to pass up :)

Just ordered the 55B9, thanks!

Thanks
    Hey Hulio Jordio.

Thanks for the post.

Just ordered the 55B9, thanks!
    Thanks for the business Hulio Jordio :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.