Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill Werewolf Game Thread!

Options

Comments

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Patrick WW

so I've given you one of two possible answers for the number of a Roman army. Hopefully, that helps.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Clodagh WW

Phil WW wrote: »
    Ok ok roll it back from the roman stuff. This is a play on 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'.

So is the answer 'its parts'

Yeah. I'd agree here. I've been researching. I don't think the answer is a number

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭Liam WW

When the Romans counted the entirety of their whole army, their sum was greater than the value of this.

Just throwing a link in from Wiki on Roman Armies
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Size_of_the_Roman_army

Means nothing to me.

But going on a play on words:-

Is it possible that the answer is the population of the Romans i.e Rome, after all the army would be smaller than the population of Rome
    So my answer would be 4,234,019 in 2019
    Source http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/rome-population/

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Oisin WW

Doris WW wrote: »
    Is there any historical significance to romans and walls?

Aurelian Walls, Hadrian's Wall, Walls of Constantinople...

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Doris WW

Ok ok roll it back from the roman stuff. This is a play on 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'.

So is the answer 'its parts'

what planet are you on.

can you try to flesh something out rather than just belting out random answers and saying it's definitely right. You've already lost us one guess by doing that.

• Advertisement

Im talking out loud to myself - feel free to keep exploring the Roman angle.

Apologies, I jumped the gun with my response.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Phil WW

what planet are you on.

can you try to flesh something out rather than just belting out random answers and saying it's definitely right. You've already lost us one guess by doing that.

Where did i say anything was definitely right there. I said 'is it'.

You have your mind made up about me Doris. You need to open it, i think.

Apologies, I jumped the gun with my response.

In fairness, i can empathise :pac:

Liam WW wrote: »
    When the Romans counted the entirety of their whole army, their sum was greater than the value of this.

Just throwing a link in from Wiki on Roman Armies
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Size_of_the_Roman_army

Means nothing to me.

But going on a play on words:-

Is it possible that the answer is the population of the Romans i.e Rome, after all the army would be smaller than the population of Rome
    So my answer would be 4,234,019 in 2019
    Source http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/rome-population/

but the puzzle is looking for something with a value less than the roman army

A chronogram is a sentence or inscription that has hidden numbers which have to be summed for revealing a date of a particular event. These numbers are represented by letters of the Roman numerals: I, V, X, L, C, D, or M. For instance, the inscription "CHRISTVS DVX ERGO TRIVMPHVS" gives MDCXVVVVII or 1632.

• Advertisement
  • Forum Games Player Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Clodagh WW

I mean they used to build walls in their forts. Hadrians wall on the Scottish / English border was a Roman wall. im sure they built lots more than that. Nothing specific to this riddle that i can see.

It doesnt feel like the roman bit fits anything except numerals.....

Arg.

Also worth pointing out that i immediately googled the riddle and couldnt find anything, so i think some of the details (romans, army) may be superfluous to the answer and there to throw us off.

I've been googling bits of the phrase and nothing either. The English delicious

Where did i say anything was definitely right there. I said 'is it'.

You have your mind made up about me Doris. You need to open it, i think.

Havne't made my mind up about anyone. You're all still very much on my chopping block equally. :)

Ok so while we are working on what our best guesses are going to be, would anyone also like to suggest how we decide who guesses :D

Patrick WW wrote: »
    A chronogram is a sentence or inscription that has hidden numbers which have to be summed for revealing a date of a particular event. These numbers are represented by letters of the Roman numerals: I, V, X, L, C, D, or M. For instance, the inscription "CHRISTVS DVX ERGO TRIVMPHVS" gives MDCXVVVVII or 1632.

I don't understand how you got MDCXVVVII, but can this be applied to the puzzle sentence?

Ok so while we are working on what our best guesses are going to be, would anyone also like to suggest how we decide who guesses :D

Whoever comes up with a solution people think is worth guessing should guess. Then we see how the react with the prize if it's right.

Whoever comes up with a solution people think is worth guessing should guess. Then we see how the react with the prize if it's right.

That's just my own perspective.

I'm tapping out. Totally flummoxed.

I'm happy to endorse whatever guess ye (as in the village, not Phil going rogue again) decide.

I think the sum of its parts is the correct answer.

The whole army was greater than the sum of its parts.

The roman thing is diversionary.

The counting thing refers to the phrase, rather than an actual number.

I am definitely not guessing, but if someone wants to guess the above, i would be happy with that guess. I would suggest we figure out a way to decide who and when we guess, so that this doesnt distract us from lynch (which best serves the wolves).

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Brendan WW

I'd go with whoever put forward the theory if they are online. Not convinced of my suggestion so I am not just saying that so I can have a go but I've not seen anyone else suggestion that screamed the right answer yet either.

Another hour till we get to the Church still too

I would suggest we figure out a way to decide who and when we guess, so that this doesnt distract us from lynch (which best serves the wolves).

I think the when is most important here. Good call out.

We need to agree as a group to either have guesses in a certain amount of time before lynch, or table it until after lynch so there is no conflicting conversation.

Say for example, if we haven't agreed to vote by 2 hours before lynch, we halt discussion and restart after lynch.

• Advertisement

We need to agree as a group to either have guesses in a certain amount of time before lynch, or table it until after lynch so there is no conflicting conversation.

Say for example, if we haven't agreed to vote by 2 hours before lynch, we halt discussion and restart after lynch.

Not vote, guess...

Brendan WW wrote: »
    I'd go with whoever put forward the theory if they are online. Not convinced of my suggestion so I am not just saying that so I can have a go but I've not seen anyone else suggestion that screamed the right answer yet either.

Another hour till we get to the Church still too

This doesnt answer the question of how do we decide the best theories and when we submit the guesses.....

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Tegan WW

Oisin WW wrote: »
    Painted onto the back wall, a puzzle could be made out written in blood ::

Just quoting so I dont have to scroll back.

On the idea that the "whole being greater than the sum of it's parts" as the answer, my concern is that the puzzle says that the *sum* is greater. Which is the opposite of that phrase's sentiments.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Henry WW

So the answer should just be “it’s parts”

'whole' is the answer I think, phil is right.

Their sum was greater than the whole.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Tegan WW

Yeah that sounds like a good plan.

Not vote, guess...

I hope Rikand and co aren't being fussy...

Tegan WW wrote: »
    Just quoting so I dont have to scroll back.

On the idea that the "whole being greater than the sum of it's parts" as the answer, my concern is that the puzzle says that the *sum* is greater. Which is the opposite of that phrase's sentiments.

My thingking is that it says the sum of the whole was greater than the sum of 'this', with 'this' being 'the sum of its parts'

Can I guess whole?

• Advertisement

Im not confident in 'whole' being the answer.

Advertisement