Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill Werewolf Game Thread!

Options
1656667686971»

Comments

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭Gertrude WW

Baggly wrote: »
    So it was Gertie who killed me?

Yes Baggly, with a silver bullet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Son of a.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Baggly wrote: »
    Son of a.....

Gun

Maybe??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Absolutely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Amazing game Rikand. As I said, you can consider me the 1st sign up for Silent Hill 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necro wrote: »
    Dont have the laptop to post the full roles list right now but backrooms should be open now
    i can only see deadroom.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Oisin WW

I'm amazed Isla wasn't a wolf.

Sorry folks, I only learned about the backroom just before I died.

And yes, great game, Rikand. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Oisin WW wrote: »
    I'm amazed Isla wasn't a wolf.

Why?

• Advertisement

Just had a hunch all along.

And no, I'm not H2D.

Oisin WW wrote: »
    And no, I'm not H2D.

Why vote no lynch 3 nights in a row?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why vote no lynch 3 nights in a row?

I didn't wanna lynch villagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hey Rikand, you were saying somewhere this took about a year to plan, about how many hours a week do you reckon it took as it was so detailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

khalessi wrote: »
    Hey Rikand, you were saying somewhere this took about a year to plan, about how many hours a week do you reckon it took as it was so detailed?

Ah not that many lol - Most of the game was in my head for the last 10 years, I just never commited it to writing. I didnt really start writing the game until the end of the summer.

My original design was for 30+ people and would have had a much higher kill rate. Being late to a location was 2 people dying on the streets, not being in a secure place was a guaranteed one extra kill.

I'm 100% sure that the next time I decide to run a similarly themed game, everyone will do a lot better with it. But here's SOME of the design and some tips on what the village could have done better from a designers point of view :)

There were 6 riddles/puzzles altogether.
    Heavens Night (1)
    Medical Centre (1)
    School(1)
    Apartments(2)
    The Park(1)

I'm not going to tell you what the puzzles were from the apartments and the park. I'll save them for Silent Hill 2. One of them was intentionally super easy, the other 2 were moderately hard. One of them could potentially have been Romans level hard.

There were 4 items that could have been found and 3 upgrades for those items

* Flashlight (Found in the cemetary - Never visited) - Allowed the group to see in dark places
    * First Aid Kit (Found in the Medical Centre) - Allowed one person be brought back to life
    * Radio (found in the school) - Allowed the holder of the radio to have seer peeking ability
    * Unloaded Gun (Found in the hotel - Never visited) - Allowed the holder of the gun to shoot someone when they loaded it.

The 3 upgrades were

* The Light Bulb (found in Lights R Us) :: Upgrade for the flashlight
    * Batteries for the Radio (Found in Light Bulb - Never visited)
    * Silver Bullet (Found in the Warehouse - visited, but not obtained because the flashlight was needed)

The reason why the upgrades were needed.

The flashlight could be used, however, using the flashlight could attract unwanted attention. Example of why the flashlight might be dangerous can be seen in this scene from the movie :D -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtDhd26420

Without the new bulb, the group would be able to visit 2 darkrooms without attracting attention. On the third darkroom, a monster would appear to try and kill them. They would have a 50/50 chance of defeating the monster. If undeafeated, someone would die.

With the bulb, they would be able to visit 4 darkrooms without attracting attention.

The Gun obviously couldnt be used without the bullet. And it was only a 1 time vig.

The radio could be used without the batteries. But without the batteries, it only offered a 50% chance of working to peek people. With the batteries, it was 100%

The first aid kit had no upgrade

Only Oisin could use all 4 items. He was the village item user. And the rules above all applied to Oisin's use of them only. He would only be able to use 1 of them at a time with the exception of the flashlight, which could be used all the time. The other 3 counted as night actions and only useable by the deadlines. Using the first aid kit to revive someone, would have meant that he couldnt shoot or peek someone, should he have had the required items.

The flashlight could be used by everyone. But having the upgrade would have made no difference to anyone else but Oisin. It would have been 2 darkrooms and then a visit on the 3rd.

The Warehouse which was dark, would not have counted for this count. They could have used the flashlight to find the bullet in the warehouse without penalty

The Keys ::
    All keys found in the game did open somewhere or do something.
    Billys Boats, the School and the Apartments - They keys there were only for the locations they were found in

The keys in the hotel car park were....... for the hotel. Where you would find the gun and a flavour post about the severed arm you found in the hospital.

The keys in the cop bar were...... for the police station. But the police station still had nothing inside

Henry was very unlucky with his location choices. He got unnecessarily berated by his fellow villagers for his choices imo in the apartments and i think he was picking in the medical centre too. The rand gods were not shining on him and I really felt for him when he was getting stick from all and sundry. He really bailed me and my laptops dodgy battery out of a hole! There were 2 riddles in the apartments and how his choices missed even one of them, as one of the riddles was actually spread across 3 apartments, I'll never know. There was also some flavour stories to guide people towards certain locations in there too. Just more bad luck

Things the group could have done better this game ::

1. Moved faster.

I know I said that locations should be discussed wisely, but my intention for this was that, the group would pick a location and then while travelling to a location, be deciding on which location to move to next while on the way. So that when one place was explored, you were almost instantly ready to move to the next location. With the timing in place, it should have been possible to do 5 places on day 1, but the group only got through 3.

When you got to the church, which was the first safe place on day1, I did intervene I will admit. There was time to search one more place, but if you had went to it, you were going to be out in the open when the Siren went and there would have been a bit of carnage. With how the pace of movement was going, I felt it important to let you gather your thoughts in the safety of the church. But from then on, you were on your own.

2. Tested the timings of movement sooner or not at all on day2.

When you guys crept your way down Church Lane on day2 looking for the radio, I actually thought it was a very good strategy and that you were deliberately keeping yourselves near to the church for an easy retreat. A lot of good stuff happened that day in game theory, like exploring locked buildings etc. So when I said it was time for your last location of the day to pick somewhere safe, i was stunned when you didnt pick the SAFE church option which would have been a 2 hour journey.

Now of course, you didnt know the travel to the centre would take 3 hours, which was another thing. I was surprised that the travel time theory wasnt explored at an earlier time. To me, the general play had looked so good at all day and that you really seemed to be clued into how to work the game that i couldnt believe that last choice. But that could be me looking at it through the eyes of the designer and i might be massively biased to something i had spent a lot of time planning towards

Another let down for day2 was the decision making on where to go at the start of day. I gave the nightkills at like 8:15 and asked for a location, but it was still about 2 hours later before a location was given. At one point someone passed the comment "That we are burning daylight here". The group burned a bit too much daylight in this game from an optimization point of view.

3. Keeping track of everything that had gone on.

In a game like this, its not enough for one person to be keeping track. Everyone does need to throw a kind of half eye on places they have visited, what they have discovered and reasons why they might need to return. Getrudes tables were forking amazing and anyone else that made tables and charts and kept track of things but too often people would breeze in and act with authority when they had no real knowledge to be the ones doing so which can be hurtful in this design.

4. Reading the flavour and researching the game.

Most of the flavour was there for a reason. Nearly everything linked back to something or somewhere you should go. The flavour was all pre-written, so for example, When you went to the cop bar and there was flavour for Heavens Night. That was more a design that you should visit there, IF you had not done so already. Much like if you were playing a game from 10-20 years ago. The AI wasnt THAT good back then :) Everything was pre-written and rigid.

As regards researching the game. Every single kill should have been recognisable as to what party or faction was making them from the flavour. Im not sure one single person picked out Pyramid Heads kills as being his. If you type silent hill, sodomized mannequins and a spear into google, you'll find images and videos giving you a pretty quick idea of who was doing the killing.... NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrt-5Xq4cD0 NSFW

Thats all i can think of for the moment. Happy to hear other peoples thoughts and questions and anything else I can expand on. Every building had its own narrative, but any travel narratives that were made, were made up on the fly. Like the crackling of the radio. I didnt prewrite that, but I knew I wanted to do it for example.

Also, I hope people dont find my thoughts in the Things the group could have done better comments section hurtful or mean or anything. Its not my intention. I only want to offer advice and help for the next time. I would have loved it if the entirety of my town was explored and all the puzzles seen and items picked up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Wow Rikand

So there I was dawdling along like it was a normal game of WW

Just wow

How sick were you when Patrick put up the theory for speeding up and then didn’t follow it through?

Also do we have a list of who was who?

Hope a screenshot is okay

Silent-Hill-Roles.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Anon_Name|Boards_name|Silent Hill Character|Role|Allignment
    Tegan WW|Ectoplasm|Pyramid Head|Wolf Vig|Bad
    Lucy WW|y0ssar1an22|Incubus|Protected Wolf|Bad
    Angus WW|tritium|Dahlia Gillespie|Vanilla Wolf|Bad
    Phil WW|Baggly|Colin the Janitor|Role blocker Wolf|Bad
    Orla WW|Micksjaguar|God|Seer Wolf|Bad
    Gertrude WW|Khalessi|Eddie Dombrowski|Vanilla / SK gone SK|Good turned Neutral
    Oisin WW|Bonnie Yummy Pension|James Sunderland|Item User|Good
    Nigel WW|Duffman13|Douglas Cartland|Seer|Good
    Isla WW|Beakerjoe|Cybil Bennett|Seer / Vig|Good
    Patrick WW|Leftsheepright & sKeith|Lisa Garland|Village Angel|Good
    Henry WW|Green&Red|Harry Mason|Mason|Good
    Clodagh WW|Clarabel|Heather Mason|Mason|Good
    Conor WW|Sixtoes|Angela Orosco| |Good
    Doris WW|Tusk|Travis Grady| |Good
    Riona WW|Fixxxer|Henry Townshend| |Good
    Barbara WW|Barney92|Laura| |Good
    Liam WW|Spook_ie|Eileen Galvin| |Good
    Gabriel WW|Whiplashy|Murphy Pendleton| |Good
    Derry WW|Uriel|Joseph Schreiber| |Good
    Brendan WW|Bounty Hunter|Alex Shephard| |Good
    Emily WW|LadySkunk|Mary Shepherd-Sunderland| |Good

Green&Red wrote: »
    Wow Rikand

So there I was dawdling along like it was a normal game of WW

Just wow

How sick were you when Patrick put up the theory for speeding up and then didn’t follow it through?

Also do we have a list of who was who?

I was pretty sick with Patrick 1.0 in general, but I won't go into that lol :D

I was more sick when Phil bolded a location straight away on day1 and then everyone ate him for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What about when Liam came so close to the Roman's clue on Day 1? Then abandoned the theory?

quickbeam wrote: »
    What about when Liam came so close to the Roman's clue on Day 1? Then abandoned the theory?

Doris opened the can of worms first by saying, the romans was the key word and then spoke about roman numerals and then an hour later, Liam expanded on it and was so close to the answer. if it was given as the answer, I think I would have had to give it. It was so close to right. He had the maths all worked out, just missed the final answer by subtracting one line from the other instead of adding them together.

It's like doing complex mathematics in college. Getting the theory worked out, following the formula all the way to the finish and then mucking up the last line. You'd give them 99% on the test because everything to that point was perfect. And tbh, you'd probably give them 100% because how harsh is that!

I really hoped that Liam himself would revisit it and sad that he never did. Was amazing when henry homed in on that answer straight away though when I gave the clue

If people want, they can vote this game for best opening posts and best flavour at the Wolfies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Rikand wrote: »
    Doris opened the can of worms first by saying, the romans was the key word and then spoke about roman numerals and then an hour later, Liam expanded on it and was so close to the answer. if it was given as the answer, I think I would have had to give it. It was so close to right. He had the maths all worked out, just missed the final answer by subtracting one line from the other instead of adding them together.

It's like doing complex mathematics in college. Getting the theory worked out, following the formula all the way to the finish and then mucking up the last line. You'd give them 99% on the test because everything to that point was perfect. And tbh, you'd probably give them 100% because how harsh is that!

I really hoped that Liam himself would revisit it and sad that he never did. Was amazing when henry homed in on that answer straight away though when I gave the clue

What was the answer?

I really enjoyed the game but I did feel at times it was overwhelming and thats with my own sickness aside.

There was just so much going on. while the post count was lower than other games , which personally helped me a lot, I felt with all the puzzles and area exploation that it meant a lot of time had to be devoted to the game to figure everything out.

Everything meant something and thats a testamnet to how much effort and detail went into the constriction if the game, so please dont take my words as a knock. I really enjoyed the game.

Had I not had things hard in real life, maybe i would have faired better.

If you were curious how the two songs at the start were meant to sound.

Song 1 :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiGGTLmicY4

Song 2 :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gf39-AZ5bg
    Rikand wrote: »
    “Everybody!”
    “We’re all going on a Skiing holiday

Snowboarding, Skiing and the Apres-ski

We’re all going on a Skiing holiday

Vodka Jelly shots and Ice-cream too!”

“Oh you can fly far and wide

You can drink side by side

But you’ll never find a gaff so sweet

As the one that’s down on Harcourt street

Don’t you drink their fancy ales,

Don’t you eat their salted snacks,

It’s the place where the shift is always waiting for you.

The palace named Copper Face Jacks!”

:D

tusk wrote: »
    What was the answer?

Count up all the roman numerals in the sentence and sum them together. it had to be whole numbers too. S was the roman numeral for 1/2 - but you couldnt count those

Christ above haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I have to say that I loved wolfing this game (go team!) but I'd have loved to play this as a villager. So much to do in it even as a vanillager. It is a better version of an idea I've had for a game myself, a kind of choose your own adventure style one. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement