Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braising

Options
  • 28-11-2019 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to braise some steak/beef for christmas, I have a loose receipt from my mother, but................

Can anyone recommend the cut of steak/beef that is best, that is available in Ireland.
    Could anyone share with me, their fav recipe for this?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Brisket is probably the cut you need. Has enough fat and connective tissue for long slow braising. Its an economical cut too.

As for a recipe, there is loads you can find online, but general consensus would be a stew like base.

Brown the meat on a high heat, remove. Perhaps fry some bacon, create a fonde on the pan, onion, celery carrot etc. tomato paste, red wine to deglaze, tins of tomato's and fresh herbs and bay leaf, some water or stock and back in with the meat and cook for 2+ hours. You could add more veg later in the cooking if you prefer more al dente veg with it. Serve with a mustard mash for example.

I've kept that vague because that's just a general idea, but you get the drift.

Have a good Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just on brisket sourcing, I noticed that ALDI are now stocking diced pieces of brisket.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Also take a look at shin, especially if you can get it in the whole piece (even better if you can find it sliced with the bone in, but rocking horse droppings). Long&slow™ :)

Advertisement