Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's shame after child A&E visit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say if you go to an A&E but get up and leave and head home cos you get fed up waiting, then you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Your GP the next day would have been grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say if you go to an A&E but get up and leave and head home cos you get fed up waiting, then you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Not always that easy a decision when there's kids involved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

Not always that easy a decision when there's kids involved though.

Good point. Many doctors, especially out of hours ones will send your child on to a & e as a precaution.

There is no where else that will deal with less serious issues unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

As disingenuous as they come is Kate. Owns a chain of pharmacies but apparently has no clue of conditions in Crumlin A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

NIMAN wrote: »

How are you supposed to know that if you are not a doctor. You don't take risks with a sick child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

She’s a bloody pharmacist herself. How can she claim not to know how bad the health system is!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How are you supposed to know that if you are not a doctor. You don't take risks with a sick child

So why would you leave without your child being seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's very simple maths. Population increases, build more hospitals.

The state of some of them s is appalling. It's like watching the news from a warzone. Even Beaumont only built in 1989 looks like it's never been updated since the day it opened.

They're falling apart and the majority are still littered with massive relics of the Catholic Church - crosses and those horrible wooden-armed chairs seem to be everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

WealthyB wrote: »
    As disingenuous as they come is Kate. Owns a chain of pharmacies but apparently has no clue of conditions in Crumlin A&E.

Just a typical politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What model is good in EU? I think France is good, but everyone pays something I think, don't quote me!

Better to spend a mint on researching good models, than thinking it will all be ok here.

French is mainly financed by insurance, 100% of pop have insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

sdanseo wrote: »
    It's very simple maths. Population increases, build more hospitals.

We have too many, approx 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I've been in 3 different hospitals the last 2 weeks, with both parents and a visit myself, the number one thing that struck me was the amount of foreign nationals, there's way too many people here for the health system that's in place, I remarked to the receptionist this morning that the place was crazy busy and she told me that it was slow, the previous day there was a line out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

She’s worried about her seat is all, trying to distance herself from Murphy in particular and Varadkar.

HSE is a shambles though.

Yeap. I mentioned before, the HSE cannot be reformed by one man, woman or even party. It will require buy in from ALL political parties and hard decisions will have to be made, which will put some peoples noses out of joint.

The health service has been over polticised for far too long. Electing a government who promises to fix the health service is folly.

To add, we have never spent so much on health in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yep. Came and went under Kenny's tenure

You are forgetting that Kenny had a Tánaiste, a Labour Party Tánaiste.
    It was a coalition government and Labour were never going to take out the knife and cut/reform the HSE as their paymasters in SIPTU would have given them a quick slap across the face.

It sure would have been interesting though had FG an overall majority.

You know it takes a very brave person to be a Doctor or a nurse and deal with sick or terminally ill kids on a daily basis. No idea how those in A&E in Children's hospital do it which such happy faces, loving care and kindness.

It's not brave at all. It's their job. No different than been a teacher or a binman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

It's a shambles and they don't seem to know how to fix it. The Irish health service just seems to chew up and destroy minister after minister and continues on its merry way providing utterly disastrous and chaotic services at a huge cost to the tax payer for what we're getting. We are paying amongst the highest per capita public spend on health in Europe, yet the services are diabolical. It's not a funding or government penny pinching issue, that's for sure.

It needs an external audit done by a team of international experts who've no skin in the game here at all and the report they produce needs to be acted upon, even if we have to have implement legislation or even get past constitutional barriers to do so.

All I know is I have been in horrible situations in A&E with various family members and I also had the laughable situation where a relative of mine was getting an elective surgical operation in a private hospital and an anaesthetist wanted payment IN CASH and literally asked her in the theatre. It's a while ago at this stage but my jaw dropped so far it's still not quite recovered.

The whole system is a total mess and it needs a cross-party approach and a committee that's given some kind of leeway and fireproofing to deal with it. There are vested interests all over the system and huge inertia to overcome.

Until that's done, we aren't going to get anywhere and this 'crisis' situation will just roll on and on and on forever. Plodding on with this unsustainable mess has to stop. It's a huge problem and we need serious political bravery to solve it. The common enemy is the huge inertia of system itself and the vast array of vested interest trying to protect status quos.

I'd argue for a citizens convention on health, enhance Slainté Care and get serious about consensus building about a way forward so that we can get out of this being a political football and actually attempt solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

She’s worried about her seat is all, trying to distance herself from Murphy in particular and Varadkar.

HSE is a shambles though.

Indeed i was quite surprised she is having a go considering in public, Simon Harris and his camp wont be happy.

Mezzotint wrote: »
    It's a shambles and they don't seem to know how to fix it. The Irish health service just seems to chew up and destroy minister after minister and continues on its merry way providing utterly disastrous and chaotic services at a huge cost to the tax payer for what we're getting. We are paying amongst the highest per capita public spend on health in Europe, yet the services are diabolical. It's not a funding or government penny pinching issue, that's for sure.

It needs an external audit done by a team of international experts who've no skin in the game here at all and the report they produce needs to be acted upon, even if we have to have implement legislation or even get past constitutional barriers to do so.

All I know is I have been in horrible situations in A&E with various family members and I also had the laughable situation where a relative of mine was getting an elective surgical operation in a private hospital and an anaesthetist wanted payment IN CASH and literally asked her in the theatre. It's a while ago at this stage but my jaw dropped so far it's still not quite recovered.

The whole system is a total mess and it needs a cross-party approach and a committee that's given some kind of leeway and fireproofing to deal with it. There are vested interests all over the system and huge inertia to overcome.

Until that's done, we aren't going to get anywhere and this 'crisis' situation will just roll on and on and on forever. Plodding on with this unsustainable mess has to stop. It's a huge problem and we need serious political bravery to solve it. The common enemy is the huge inertia of system itself and the vast array of vested interest trying to protect status quos.

I'd argue for a citizens convention on health, enhance Slainté Care and get serious about consensus building about a way forward so that we can get out of this being a political football and actually attempt solve it.

I will add on to the points you have made by commenting on the generations of special needs children we are leaving behind. We have early intervention schemes with waiting lists that are so long children are exiting them before they get seen.

Then you have the likes of the poor kids with the curved spine. It seems like you only get proper treatment if your private or you go on the national media.

The worst thing is that addressing allot of issues much early is actually cheaper in the long run but we are far too short sighted for that in Ireland.

giphy.gif

If she is truly ashamed, she will hound Simon Harris and Varadkar and if there isn't a suitable response forthcoming, she'll resign from the party.

giphy.gif

If she is truly ashamed, she will hound Simon Harris and Varadkar and if there isn't a suitable response forthcoming, she'll resign from the party.

giphy.gif

Neck on her like a jockeys bollox, i really don't think she is going to do any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

mountai wrote: »
    How to "Cure the HSE" . All politicians ( and their families) should not be allowed access any hospital or medical service using private health insurance . Ditto for senior civil servants . Ditto for union leaders . All back room staff in HSE be sacked and rehired by committee of Doctors and Nurses in loco , including all management . All front line staff , immediate 40% salary increase and hiring of agency staff banned . Watch how quickly changes would happen .

I think that would work too. The unions and bloated management block all chance of reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have been to Tallaght children’s A&E on a few occasions and whoever is running it should be put in charge of the whole HSE

It works

Been there a few times myself. I think the reason is works is that most folks will go to Crumlin or Temple street and don't realise that there is one in Tallaght. I wasn't aware of it till my brother told me about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I sense a heave coming against Leo from the Coveney side. Kate is positioning herself for a big portfolio. I'm convinced she was ther person behind the Bailey scandal. Says a lot about her considering how friendly they were before.

And also btw Kate, your a big part of the problem. To claim no knowledge of a badly functioning health system is a stunt. This whole thing is a stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    And also btw Kate, your a big part of the problem. To claim no knowledge of a badly functioning health system is a stunt. This whole thing is a stunt.

She's a standing member of the joint Oireachtas Committee on health
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/32/committee-on-health/membership/

This is the committee that questions and reviews various aspect of the health system, the Department of Health, the HSE, the Minister for Health, other health agencies, service providers and stakeholders. Imagine she's been sitting on that committee apparently getting to the bottom of the issues in the health system and holding the major players to account, for several years now..
    Yet she apparently doesn't know anything about the health system...

What a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Too many vested interests and not enough political bravery to take them on.

The amount of money we pay for the service received in criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

God we are mugs aren't we.

yes we are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

pure.conya wrote: »
    yes we are

As an electorate we are very very poor. Sad really. I am not entirely sure why. We only seem to have selfish motivations. I am hopeful the young people today are less accepting of mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Geuze wrote: »
    We have too many, approx 50.

But of those, only about ten are of the size they should be.

We are seeing capacity issues. Build more capacity. Pay for it by consolidating in centres of excellence and building small general hospitals in each county with a support network of Local Injury/Primary Care centres.

Ireland has the 7th highest GDP in the world.
    Yet we have 2.7 hospital beds per 1,000 people, while the EU average is 5.6 [source]

The UK has a similar number which shows it can be managed better with what we have, however the statistics tell us what we already know: our health service is pathetic given our ability to filter money through our economy. If only we were as good at looking after ourselves as scratching the backs of the multinationals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Uriel. wrote: »
    She's a standing member of the joint Oireachtas Committee on health
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/32/committee-on-health/membership/

This is the committee that questions and reviews various aspect of the health system, the Department of Health, the HSE, the Minister for Health, other health agencies, service providers and stakeholders. Imagine she's been sitting on that committee apparently getting to the bottom of the issues in the health system and holding the major players to account, for several years now..
    Yet she apparently doesn't know anything about the health system...

What a scam.

Absolute total incompetence. Also shows she has no idea of her brief on that Committee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My reaction was that she was a bit late to the party on this.
    I have spent a few hours in Temple St A&E with children.Never anything very serious thankfully, so I pretty much end up apologising to staff every time.At least 2 of the times have been simply because it was a Friday/Saturday night, DDoc had a 6-8 hour wait for appointments and they told.me go.to Temple st because the child was small.Receptionist in Temple St throws her eyes to heaven when you tell her that, but sure she knows as well as me the whole system is a farce.You could spend up to 8 hours sitting in the waiting room there, it's chaos.Last time I was there, they had to monitor my 1 year old for a couple of hours.There was no.bed in a&e -not a huge problem in itself, but it was late at night and he was very tired and there were just a few hard seats along a staff desk in A&E for me to sit on with him.It was along the side of a walk.through area for trolleys and staff.Not ideal.

The system is a shambles.No way should private practice be allowed in public hospitals.No way should private patients be taking up public beds.In fact we should either have an entirely private or an entirely public system (funded by more taxes obviously).Far more money needs to be put into the system but the spending also needs to be managed properly.I don't think it's rocket science myself but it needs a commitment to see it through.I am not holding my breath though.

Advertisement